Brookstown Inn
US$107
US$90
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$100/night.

US$110
US$107
Doubletree.com
Best Western Plus Hanes Mall Hotel(Winston Salem)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$214
US$129
US$125
US$121
All reviewscookies and milkwine and cheesecotton millold salemold millresident catexposed brickhigh ceilingshotel catcharming hotelbefore bedtimelovely courtyardvisitor centerhuge roomchain hotelswalking distancehistoric building
Reviewed 6 October 2017

I have admired these restored historic mill buildings in Winston-Salem for some time and recently had an opportunity to stay at the Brookstown Inn. If you are used to a flashy hotel entrance, you may miss it because it's nestled into the midst of other activities in the complex and there is no large sign "Hotel" on the street, but there is ample reserved parking in the lot and access to the Inn under a clearly-marked attractive canopy. Staff are very helpful in all the usual ways, and went out of their way twice to show me where recommended restaurants were located (including going outside to point out landmarks). The room and the bathroom were large and very comfortable. Because this is the refitting of an industrial space with lots of red brick and very high wood beam ceilings, lighting is a challenge. The chandelier and table lamps (as well as the rest of the furnishings) were period reproductions appropriate to Old Salem decor and provided adequate illumination, though the comfy arm chair lacked a reading lamp (there appears to be a dearth of electrical outlets), but bed and desk lighting were OK. There was an easily accessible charging station with two extra AC outlets and USB ports which mitigated the outlet availability problem somewhat. WiFi was available, but rather slow. Breakfast is provided and billed as "full Southern." I think that means you can choose biscuits and sausage gravy or have grits with your eggs and bacon or sausage patty, but it was tasty nonetheless. The breakfast room is on the small side (rated capacity 34), but I never had trouble finding a table. Overall the building and the area are quiet and safe to walk around; it is about equidistant from Old Salem (certainly worth a visit) and the downtown area, with lots of restaurant and brewery choices on Fourth Street and elsewhere. I would highly recommend this unique gem.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Several months ago, we booked an overnight 56th high school reunion for 26, which included 12 rooms. When we arrived around 2pm, the tv in the bar off the lobby was not working, and the 2 staff on duty were completely distracted by that fact. As a result, we couldn't watch the game and received little attention when we were trying to check in. I understood the rooms were to be ready by 3pm; at 4:30pm my husband was tired of waiting and upgraded us to a suite that was ready. I overheard the desk staff on the phone to housekeeping saying "hurry up because you're making us look bad." The tv's in several guest rooms didn't work; there was no help in fixing them.
- Our wine/cheese reception was scheduled to begin in the bar downstairs at 4pm. When I went down at 4:10, one man was folding napkins at the bar. When I asked when the bar would be open, he said it usually didn't open until 5pm but he knew it was supposed to open at 4pm that day. When I again asked when it would be open, he replied that he was waiting for his manager. When I asked where the manager was, he said she was in her office and was on the way. Ten minutes later she still had not appeared. When she did finally rush in, she was saying "I know, I know! Four o'clock! Four o'clock!" She asked one of my group what he wanted to drink; when he responded Scotch, she replied rudely that his guest coupon could not be used to pay for it. She did not go behind the bar to serve; instead, she and the man went into the kitchen. I had to open the kitchen door to get them to come out and wait on us. The only white wine available was a pinot grigio. When I said I would pay for a chardonnay, she said there wasn't any. I find it difficult to understand why the most frequently requested type of white wine was unavailable. The cheese and crackers and grapes appeared about 4:45pm.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2017

This hotel just blew us away! was going on a college tour of Wake Forest (About 15 min away) the next day so we just stayed the night, The front desk upgraded our room (without us even saying anything), gave us some coupons for the wine & cheese happy hour, had milk & cookies for the children later on that night & had a wonderful buffet breakfast the next morning. Thesuite was extremely spacious & bathroom very clean. Beds were very comfortable too. Parking wasn’t a problem.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Friendly staff. Wonderful breakfast. super wine and cheese reception and cookies and milk before bedtime. A great place to stay. would rebook in a heart beat! Easy walk to Old Salem. would recommend to friend and family

Room Tip: Room 209 is a big room with a large bath. Needs more room darkening curtains.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

I love this hotel. I am a repeat guest, and everything from the atmosphere to Sally the hotel cat is wonderful. The staff always goes above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need. Lovely wine and cheese reception, warm cookies and milk, and great breakfast. Our favorite in Winston Salem.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family