“Nothing fancy but a must for special chicken lovers”
Review of Slappy's Chicken

Slappy's Chicken
Ranked #30 of 731 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Reviewed 28 June 2018

With a somewhat limited menu, there are only two reasons to visit this place. Great chicken that is different from any you've ever had and a down home country feel where the food makes you feel even better. The sauce is unique and is on the spicy side while still keeping the crispy texture of perfectly fried chicken. A blend of what I can best describe as a hybrid taste of good bbq sauce and excellent spiciness that doesn't flame you out for the sake of being hot. Here's a secret for you; they will serve the sauce on the side if someone doesn't want the sauce, but they'll be missing out. I'll be back to indulge my newly acquired taste for their product.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

This quaint neighborhood dive is worth a visit. Although it offers a very limited menu of their special chicken and sides, everything is excellent! The chicken is fried and dipped in a delicious sauce that’s both sweet and spicey. Side choices include mac n cheese, greens, slaw, and baked beans, all very good. On Saturdays they now offer chicken salad.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped by Slappy’s on our way through Winston-Salem. Simple spot; clean and fun with lots of stickers on the walls and about 10 tables inside. This was my first encounter with “hot” chicken...I ordered a dark quarter with collard greens and mac and cheese. The chicken was fried and then dipped in sauce...just the right mix of peppery, vinegary heat with incredibly moist chicken, perfectly cooked, crispy and delicious. The collard greens were outstanding; perfect levels of sweet and meat with lots of bacon. Mac and cheese was good, I prefer it a little creamier but definitely ate every bite! Service is friendly and fast...definitely a great spot!!!

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

I’d heard about this place several times and tonight was wanting chicken. When we walked in I thought what have I got us into? We passed it even with Google Maps. But it only proved that you can’t judge Slappy’s by its appearance.

The chicken was moist. Make sure you don’t wear white as you will get it on you! The collards are fresh, I’m pretty sure, not canned. And the chez-it’s Mac and Cheese is tasty!

The cost is definitely reasonable. I think I’ve found my new go to for chicken!

Reviewed 22 April 2018

Frankly, I don't know how they do it. Chicken is CRISPY, not greasy at all, and still moist. These folks are chicken wizards. They are one important review away from landing on some "cheap eats of America" list or tv show. Pro's tip: order the chicken plain and get the sauce on the side. This way you can appreciate the chicken and dip away as you please. I'd pay good money for that sauce recipe.