“Smoked Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese is AWESOME!”

Mad Batter Food & Film
Ranked #9 of 73 Restaurants in Sylva
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We stopped in for lunch based upon a review in TA that touted this as the best Pizza outside New York, and being pizza snobs we were intrigued enough to try it out. It was a Sunday afternoon, kind of late lunch time slot and we were seated immediately in a half empty place, but not before a brief squabble among the servers over whose turn it was. The server who won was sweet as could be albeit a little scattered, but nothing that detracted from the meal, and the personality made full amends. We went through the menu and when I saw chicken and waffles I abandoned my plans for pizza, the wife went with the Smoked Tomato and Avocado Grilled Cheese with a Side salad. My chicken and waffles were good, not great. The chicken was hand battered and on the whole spot on, the waffle however was a little thin and soft, which I found odd from a place called Mad Batter, I assumed the Waffle would be perfect. My wife's sandwich however was one of the best I have ever tasted and I would return simply to order that. They seriously could make a living just selling those, and the side salad, a throw away item in many places, was as good as any that I've ordered as an entree. Overall there were a few things that could stand to be improved upon, but it's not bad, and deserves more than a single visit to make its case. We will try it again.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Went in for a vegetarian meal on Sunday. I guess their menu is limited on that day. The veggie burger was all they had and it was cold when it finally arrived. Fries were cold. Out of the 4 of us who ordered the same thing
2 didn't even eat half of the burger. The fries were an "upcharge" of $2 and disgustingly cold and hard. Took 30 minutes for the food to arrive and was sooooo slow. No coming back here folks.....be warned!

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Great atmosphere with or without movie. Friendly, excellent service. They volunteered that they were able to do gluten free and vegetarian with almost everything. Inventive versions of standard dishes, fresh food and homemade potato chips! Bourbon maple BBQ sandwich with carmelized apples was full of pork and not over sweet.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited while our kids were with grandparents. We are local, unsure of why this was our first visit. We didn't go for a movie but the food is awesome. Garlic cheese fries a must !

Reviewed 12 June 2018

While waiting for a pottery store to open in Dillsboro, we headed over to Sylva to grab a bite to eat. When we saw the sign for Mad Batter, we thought how cool and whimsical. It was lunch time so there were no movies playing and it was just starting to get busy. There is a nice selection of meals, especially with numerous Vegan choices (they can cater to your preferences). I chose the hummus wrap and it was wonderful! Although they got one order wrong, they made a new one and it came out fairly quick but was much smaller than the first order. A burger was also ordered and it was good. If we were in town again, I would probably eat here again, also seeing that there isn't too many places to eat in this town. A movie was filmed here so that was interesting to learn about. I would suggest on a Friday afternoon with busy season approaching, have at least two waitresses working. There were way too many people in there for one person to be serving.