“Great place”
Review of Life on a Sandbar

Life on a Sandbar
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Life on a Sandbar specializes in braids, hair wraps, henna, temporary tattoos, and making sand art creations. New this year is mermaid and pirate makeovers. We also carry Del Sol color-changing nail polish, t-shirts, hats, and more. Plus, we carry beautiful silver jewelry, and very unique. Our store is locally owned and operated for over 18 years. We especially enjoy seeing familiar faces every year, plus new ones. Our motto is creating fun, sun, and memories. This year we moved our location downstairs , next to the Fudgery. Same, same, but different.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Awesome and friendly service. Janina did a great job on my daughter’s tattoo. Lots of other activities for kids. Gave us great advice for other things to do.

Marc P, Owner at Life on a Sandbar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Glad your daughter enjoyed her tattoo. Enjoy the many things to do in the Outer Banks. Hope to see you next summer.

All reviews
"hair wraps"
in 17 reviews
"henna tattoos"
in 6 reviews
"the staff was super friendly"
"stepping stones"
"ice cream cones"
"family vacation"
"jockey's ridge"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Annual visit! A must! Love it! Gifts, fun, entertainment. The tattoos are awesome, sand art, braids, they have it all!

I'm so glad you found our new location downstairs. Always good to see my regulars. Kids grow up so fast. Bob was excited that is locally made sailboat went to a good home. See you again next year.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

This experience was like a grown up creative spa day for me. Life on a sandbar has all the things I love to do under one roof. Judy the owner became like a sister while she was doing my hair. Her husband also an owner did my henna work and also helped me with my sand art cross. I loved everything about my experience. Plan on spending a while there cause even though the shop is small there is lots to see and do.

Marc P, Owner at Life on a Sandbar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

So glad you had your grown up spa day with us. It was a pleasure to help you create memories in the Outer Banks. Your cross turned out lovely. Hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Life on a Sandbar is the greatest little shop and Judy, the owner is so personable and friendly. The shop has a little bit of everything, including sand art projects, cool hair wraps/braids and beautiful jewelry. Definitely worth a visit when you're in the OBX!

Marc P, Owner at Life on a Sandbar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thanks for the sweet review and I'm glad you liked our shop. Hope to see you next year.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

The reviews were great so we decided to give it a try. I had been watching the weather all week and they kept saying Thursday would be rainy. I had been planning to go all week for a rainy day activity. Turned out just to be cloudy, but.. if you know you are a good rainy day activities for kids, staff appropriately. It took forever for the sand art. Looked like the tattoos and hair wraps were taking a while as . The finished product was nice, the people were fine, but they really need a couple more people to control the madness. It's a small place with a lot going on and a lot of time consuming offerings. The kids sand looks cool, it was $30 per so beware. I never saw a price listed, we just found out how much it was once the credit card came out. It was a good experience, just frustrating for the parents. Hire some more folks to help out.

Marc P, Manager at Life on a Sandbar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you for coming in to our store to make a sand art creation...our prices have been listed on the walk for 10 years letting you know the price of each and every sandart, I can send you a picture of the price list if you would like to see it. The reason we where short staffed on Thursday was because one of our staff members got sick on the way to work and we sent her home, we always try to give the best service rain or shine. Hope to see next summer.