“Food was good but has been better in the past”

Tortugas' Lie Shellfish Bar
Ranked #14 of 90 Restaurants in Nags Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We’ve been going to Tortuga’s for the last five or six years and the food has always been good. This year I ordered one of their daily specials with tuna and ordered it medium rare. It came out medium well and I usually don’t send food back but decided to because it wasn’t cheap. It took a while to get the waitress to come back to the table to ask for it to be taken back. The dish that came out was medium, but I wasn’t about to wait for another one. We also tried the conch fritters... avoid at all costs. Lastly and I know this wasn’t much in their control, but they allowed the table behind us to become raucous during the time we were there. They drank several bottles of wine, beer and liquor and progressively got louder and louder with yelling, screeching and what not. We left with headaches and have decided that next year we won’t be going back and will find another place to become our beach favorite.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 226)

16 - 20 of 1 226 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I love this place. Great food, great atmosphere, we go here at least twice every time we stay in Nags Head. Great drink options, have not had a bad meal (it's hard not to order the fish tacos every time - they are so good), great for kids. If you are going with family/small kids I recommend you go for lunch and try to get there when they open around 11:30 to avoid a wait.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent service. Waitress split check perfectly-even split appetizer. Kids drink "Near Miss". features a toy shark filled with grenadine (blood) and a cherry that the kids pour into their lemonade and its a shark attack! Boys loved it and got to keep the toy! My black bean burger was homemade, spicy, and fresh. Pie for dessert. Long wait, however, drinks are pricey-$9 and up.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Cool little place. Sat at bar and burger with lump crab lunch special. Burger was excellent. My daughter had the peanut butter pie which she loved.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stopped in for lunch during peak summer season. Had an expected wait, but not so bad since there was only 2 of us. Fish tacos were great. Varied drink menu. They also have an area to entertain yourself with games outside while waiting.