“The best pasta dish I’ve ever had!”
Review of Tale of The Whale

Tale of The Whale
Ranked #10 of 92 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: US$18 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View, Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated for 38 years, we serve the finest and freshest local seafood, choice steaks, salads, pastas, chicken and more. We pay attention to every detail to ensure your meal is memorable and delicious! Enjoy casual dining overlooking the Roanoke Sound, and live music (in season) in our waterfront gazebo. Come early and enjoy your favorite cocktail outdoors overlooking the water, or in our indoor bar. We offer an extensive wine list, a lighter fare menu, childrens’ menu and more. We welcome children, families and parties of all sizes, and offer comfortable booths for a romantic dinner for two. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’m a pasta person and this was by far my FAVORITE pasta dish I’ve ever had!! I got the pasta nova. It was penne pasta with lump crab and salmon in a tomato base sauce. Just SO amazing!!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This is an annual tradition and never disappoints. My wife and I split their generous salad and each had lobster, but I added a nice medium rare filet. Tale of the Whale has an extensive menu and something good for everyone, enjoy!

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We have been here a few times over the years. OBX has ben our vacation spot for 16 or so years. This restaurant continues to be one of our favorites.

It is also the favorite of many others. It is good to get there when they open so you can get the early bird special. You may still have a short wait. Ours was 5 mins simply because that many were in line when they open their doors.

There is plenty of parking (mentioned in other reviews as well) and a nice outdoor waiting area as well (if the weather cooperates!).

We had 2 appetizers...a shrimp "salsa" (can't remember what they called it) and hushpuppies. The shrimp appetizer was excellent. The hushpuppies were fine too, just a little pricey if you don't mind paying for them. (And since they aren't on menus where we live, we will buy them!)

Salads do NOT come with the meal. They cost a couple dollars if you want a side salad with your meal. There was a nice mix in them, just the dressing was bland. I had the balsamic vinaigrette. My wife had the raspberry vinaigrette which I think she enjoyed a bit more. She also had a cup of their lobster bisque that she very much enjoyed.

The main dishes we ordered all had seafood. My son did a create your own surf and turf. My wife ordered a broiled seafood combo. My son's friend had mahi oscar and I had their seafood pasta. Between all of us, we enjoyed shrimp, crab cakes, scallops, mahi, lump crab meat, filet mignon, and angel hair pasta. All prepared well and thoroughly enjoyed. One side note mentioned in at least one other review I saw...be sure to ask for fixings for your baked potato if you are so inclined. My son's came with nothing. Good thing we still had butter from our hushpuppies at our table.

My son was the only one who had room for dessert. He had the 7 layer chocolate cake though if I had a bit of room, there were a few things that looked very good...a nice selection. The coffee was ok...I had a cup.

They have a nice beer and wine selection, though I was disappointed they were out of several beers. (Yeah, I am a bit of a craft beer snob!)

The service was friendly and efficient. I do get the feel they are trying to turn the tables over. Understandable when you see the wait as the evening goes on. But that is no slight on our server (Amy if memory serves). She was friendly, was constantly hustling, and we never waited long for anything.

One comment on the price...for 4 of us with each adult having one alcoholic beverage, the bill prior to the early bird discount was about $180 (and excluding tip).

All in all, as our vacations to OBX continue, so will dinners at Tale of the Whale.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal during peak season. I couldn’t believe hey accommodated 25 of us, adults and children. Todd and Stephanie were outstanding! They were definite pros at staying calm and dealing with a group that large. Food was very good. Most got seafood dishes and enjoyed them. Would dine here again

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Beautiful setting on the water. Food is usually very good. Seafood is their beat food. Ribs and steak were just ok. Everyone who had seafood loved their food.