“Best Oysters Rockefeller Ever, Even Better Service”

Blue Moon Beach Grill
Ranked #3 of 92 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Blue Moon Beach Grill is located at MP 13 in sunny, downtown Nags Head. We are just down the road from Jockey's Ridge in Surfside Plaza. We are open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM till 9:00 PM. Our goal is to provide each customer with a "once in a blue moon" dining experience.
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

Mid November early evening, we snared an early table, corner and cozy, with no wait. Best service I've had in years. Server, Kim, was friendly, efficient, and thoughtful. We went looking for the best Oysters Rockefeller in the Outer Banks, and we found the. A bit pricy at 14 bucks for five. But worth it. Scallops and grits dinner was perfection, with a smoky gouda and a great sauce. Hubby's Sandbar special dinner was huge. Shrimp and rockfish on the plate were excellent, he said. He loved the mashed potatoes too. Hearty servings allowed us to bring home enough for lunch the next day. Great atmosphere, relaxed but classy.

Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2016

Relaxed but classy works for me.......thank you. I am glad that you rate our O Rocks at the top of the list. Yes, Kimberly is a great server and your description of "friendly, efficient, and thoughtful" pretty much sums it up. Glad you had a great time and I we helped brighten a mid November day.........cheers and bon appetit!!

Write a ReviewReviews (2 314)

496 - 500 of 2 314 reviews

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

My husband, two adult children and I were in the Outer Banks for the marathon and since I'd selected the restaurant for Saturday night and totally blew that, my husband got to choose for Sunday night. I have to admit I had my doubts when we pulled into the strip mall, but as soon as we walked in the two ladies at the front were so friendly and welcoming it just felt right. We only waited 30 minutes for our table, just enough time to sample some of the on tap offerings.
Once we were seated our waitress was just very pleasant - friendly but not overly so - and very efficient and attentive.
The calamari was very good, not overly fried as can so often happen, with a nice light and flavorful sauce. My daughter had fish and chips and was very pleased with them. Our waitress convinced my husband to try the bouillabaisse which probably added quite a bit to her tip. My son and I had the shrimp and grits and while the shrimp was cooked perfectly, I think I could have eaten a big bowl of the grits and sauce and been happy.
All and all, a very pleasant experience and some really good food.

Yes, Amy H, the shopping center gives a lot of our guests "pause" on their first visit. Surf Side Plaza has been around for a long time and is often referred to as the center of downtown Nags Head. I am glad your fears dissipated once inside. I am especially happy to hear that our waitress was "spot on". Please know that we all appreciate your business and we hope that your will come back and try another dish very soon. Cheers and bon appetit!!

Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch during a trip to the outer banks based on trip advisor reviews. The food and staff were amazing. We sat at the bar with Ben. I ordered the cheese steak with cheez whiz and I have never had better. My husband had the blackened mahi blt. They also had a great craft beer selection. This is a must visit restaurant!

Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2016

Hey Clinkdisc, thanks for stopping for lunch, we appreciate your business. I hope your stay on our fragile sandbar was great. AND I hope you come back very soon. Safe travels and cheers and bon appetit!!

Reviewed 13 November 2016

My wife and I dined at the Blue Moon in mid-October while staying in the Outer Banks. Dinner as excellent! My wife loved the fish tacos and I enjoyed the Fish and Chips. The restaurant was very busy, but our wait time was only about 15 minutes. Service was quick and the food awesome! Will definitely visit again next time in that area! Four thumbs up!

Thanks for giving us a "howlin12013" four thumbs up! Please know that we sincerely appreciate your business and your endorsement. Cheers and bon appetit!!

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

My parent recommended this place they went this summer. You wouldn't think by looking at this place from the outside in a strip mall it would be much. However the food was awesome. My wife and I went it was busy had about a 20 minute wait. It was well worth it. Once we were seated the service was excellent. My wife had the filet and I got the salmon Wellington. We were both very pleased with the entrees. There was other stuff on the menu that I would love to try and looking at the food being served at other tables it all looked good. I can't wait to come back

Will S, Owner at Blue Moon Beach Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2016

Dfreeman81, your parents are astute and you are smart too, taking their advise. I hope your beach time was delightful. Please know we appreciate your business and hope that we see you again soon. Cheers and bon appetit!!