“Great for first timers ”

Blue Heron Whitewater
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Marshall
More attraction details
Owner description: Closest whitewater rafting outfitter to Asheville, NC. Blue Heron Whitewater offers a variety of trips on the French Broad River. Choose the trip that fits your group and schedule. Half Day Trips enjoy 5 miles, with class II-III rapids. Full Day Trips add 3 more miles, a delicious deli-style lunch served riverside, and a class IV rapid. Minimum age for whitewater trips is 8. Float Trips are offered for families with kids as young as 4 and for those looking for a scenic float trip through the beautiful Southern Appalachian Mountains. On the river you are no longer a spectator!Come visit our new solar-powered outpost with hot showers, free wet suit use in cool weather and the most experienced guides on the river.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

This was so much fun! It only went up to a level 3 rapid and there were only a couple but since it was our first time that was fine. Our guide was great! We did the half day with lunch. For lunch we stopped at a beach and they had lunch meat sandwiches, chips, local hummus and veggies, and some Oreos. They also had peanut butter and jelly for those that don’t like lunch meat. I definitely recommend this to those that have never rafted before or that like a more leisurely rafting experience. It made me want to do the all day trip that they offer.

1  Thank Ziggymar6
BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Hi and thanks for your review! We really appreciate you taking the time. Glad you had a good trip and that full day trip is great! It's our favorite. Thanks again for rafting with us!

All reviews
"class rapids"
in 7 reviews
"water shoes"
in 7 reviews
"showers and changing rooms"
in 3 reviews
"wet clothes"
"hummus"
"family reunion"

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Always a great trip with Blue Heron! Have rafted many rivers and outfitters and always come back to them. Great staff with warm and welcoming guides. Highly recommend!

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Hi and thanks for the recommendation.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

My friends and I decided to book whitewater rafting through Blue Heron since we were staying in Marshall. I can tell you that you will have a blast! Their staff and "Wags" were all very friendly and welcoming. You watch an instructional, informative video, which afterwards Wags talked about everything the video discussed and answered all questions. There is a store there that will have all your basics you might need plus some Blue Heron gear. Once there at the river, you go with your guide and your off! My only regret was not signing up for a full day of rafting. We had such a great time and you know the saying, "Time flies when you are having fun" - truth! Our guide, Alexis, was fantastic with her knowledge of the area and really helped bring the fun. Highly recommended!

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Glad you had a good trip and thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Took a morning whitewater rafting trip with my wife and older kids and then an afternoon float trip with my younger son. Had a really great time. Beautiful area. Lunch on the river was perfect. Jordan was our guide and was great with the kids and kept us safe and having fun. The worldwide headquarters and facilities are great with a great gift shop and bathroom, shower and changing rooms. Looking forward to taking the full day trip next time! These folks are professionals so just listen to their recommendations.

Thanks for rafting with us! We really appreciate it, and that full day trip is awesome!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

While on our girls trip to NC, my friend and I decided to go white water rafting. The Blue Heron Whitewater Adventure seemed perfect. When we arrived we were checked in immediately and were given instructions on safety and the dos and don’ts of rafting. The instructor was knowledgeable and entertaining at the same time. Our trip on the French Broad River was great even though I fell off the raft. The reason for the three stars was because of our guide Caroline. She definitely kept us safe and even helped rescue me from the water, but it was not a “FUN” experience, as I have had on past river rafting trips. She explained where we were going and information about the river but that was it. I was seeing the people on other rafts laughing and whooping it up, but I was more or less bored while listening to Caroline. I did have fun and would go to Blue Heron again if I was in the area, however I would ask for a different guide.

1  Thank Dayna L
BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Thank you for the opportunity to respond! We're sorry to hear this experience didn't entirely meet your expectations. We are always striving to connect with the wide range of our guests needs and interests. Thanks for rafting with us!