other traveller has booked this property
Walch Creeskside Cabin in the Fall
Cabin view from upstairs loft into living and dinning area Creek on property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Walch Creeskside Cabin in the Fall
Cabin view from upstairs loft into living and dinning area
Creek on property
Kitchen
Dining Area
Master bedroom with private bath with jetted tub and shower
View from gravel driveway hill
Bedroom #2 with Queen Bed
Game room with pool and ping pong table
Bedroom #3 with Queen bed
Living Area view from front  door
Bedroom #4 is a Bunk Room with 2 full futon and 2 twin futon bunk and a  double futon sofa
Hot Tub View
Hot Tub on lower deck
View in the snow
View hiking up from Creek
View in Winter
View of Cabin from lower bank of Creek
10 minutes from Blue Ridge Parkway entrance to go either to Asheville or to Cherokee
More creek views on property
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Robert S
Coral Springs, Florida
“Not worth the money.”
Reviewed 11 July 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

Our plan was to stay a week. We contacted the owner, who was very nice and helpful, while booking. When we arrived at the cabin, we found it out dated and dirty in several areas (their online photos are deceiving). There were also stains on one of the queen beds. In addition, there were wasps in the mater bedroom that my wife had to swat at all night. And there was a sticky substance on and inside the fridge door. We left after the first night and check into a ranch that had updated and clean cabins. I contacted the owner after we arrive home to explain why we left the cabin after just one night. She was very pleasant and offered to reduce our rate if we revisited the cabin at another time. Of course, we are not ever going back to this place! She said bugs and cleaning issues are sometimes expected and that we should have contacted the property manager to remedy these issues. Maybe she is right, but my wife, daughter, niece and I would rather stay in a cabin that does not have bugs or cleaning issues at any time, so that is why we moved out after the first night. I am not happy about loosing the full amount of the stay, but the owner referred me to the cancellation policy, which, of course, I loved hearing. In my opinion, she should have refunded us the entire weeks amount of the stay minus the one day we stayed. End of story!!!

Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
19 Aug 2016
Bob S TripAdvisor Review Response

As one would expect…there are always more than one side to a story …and in the case of this guest’s review…we feel compelled to respond.

We have operated this vacation rental since 2000, and have served close to 4000 guests over this period and can recall having less than a handful (3 or 4) issues like those you described. This property is best described as a luxury log cabin in a rural mountain setting. We have had thousands of guests over those years and hundreds of extraordinary reviews…so getting a disgruntled guest…using the review process to extract some form of retribution (and refund) is very disturbing.
Summer in the Smokies means guests leave windows open, so the insect (moth and wasp) issue was not a too surprising.

The bug and cleaning issues could have been easily remedied and our local property manager is quite responsive to those issues and would have returned and followed up within an hour of being contacted, if only notified. So if one was truly interested in addressing the issues, one would expect a call…if that was really the reason for their finding another rental.

We contacted our property Manager and they added a bit more clarification, recalling that guests asked directions to the nearest grocery store and really needed to be in another location (closer to Cherokee?) for the husband to travel to later in the week…and that was the only conversation between guests and property manager.

Here is a text message from Property Manager after the guests left…

“Hello Marc, these are the people that Cindy sent you the texts between me and the wife. She never mentioned any cleaning issues or wasps or moths. The only contact was for directions to the grocery store, horseback riding, and that the cabin would be too remote for the two days at the end of their week that her husband had to be in Cherokee. They actually figured that if they changed their minds about staying at the cabin they would get their money back. I explained that their paperwork informed them that there would not be a refund. If there was any of these issues it was their decision not to inform me about it. It is also funny that they waited until after the cabin would be cleaned for the next guests arrival before saying anything. If you have any common sense you know that if have an issue that you should report them and then allow someone to handle it. They did not ask or map out the location and distance to where the husband had to be two of their seven days. If the issues they listed were true and reported then I would have handled them with about an hour's amount of work. …. I wish I could write a review on them, I think that would be fair. Thanks – John”

As owners who value repeat business, we have many guests that return every couple years to relive the Creekside Retreat Log Cabin experience. We strive to have guests create great family memories…

As an incentive (after the guests had left and notified us of their desire for a refund) we offered the guests a substantial discount over a return visit…which was turned down.

So hopefully these guests learned a couple lessons…although I doubt it?
1. First…get familiar with where your vacation rental is located.
2. If something is amiss when checking in…let someone know immediately.
3. Read your rental Agreement to understand your rights.
4. And communicate…Owners like ourselves want the experience to be extraordinary…and will bend over backwards to make this happen.

Original email from Guest…after they left
Linda:

As you know, we did not stay in the cabin as expected. We stayed one night. At first, I was not going to let you know why we left the cabin after the first night, but after thinking about it with my family, I decided to email you.

Upon arriving at your cabin, we found it to be unclean. Stains on the guest room sheets, particles on the carpet and the fridge had a sticky substance on it and inside. Also, there were three wasps in the master bedroom. And moths everywhere inside the cabin.

We have rented cabins in other parts of the country without these issues. We were very disappointed as you can imagine. And I was not crazy about losing my full payment for the week.

I think you should reach out to your property manager and have them inspect the cabin before guests arrive. We did speak to the husband and wife on our way to the cabin and they were very nice.

I have not posted on TripAdvisor. I do not like posting bad reviews (I have never had any reason to post a bad review until now) without hearing from the owners.
I will look forward to your response.
Bob S
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing