“Great food!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 18 July 2018

Had to wait a bit to get a table even though we arrived right when they opened. The hostess accommodated our group of 17 by seating us at 4 separate tables relatively close to one another. Food was amazing. Loved the barbecue and the mahi mahi
Overall a good experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 002)

42 - 46 of 2 002 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Great food, service and experience. Only wish we were staying longer so we could revisit. A definite and very high recommendation. You may have to wait to get a table but it’s worth it!

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

My friend recommended this restaurant and I must say it was one of the best meals we had while in town. The chicken on appetizer menu was so flavorful. Tasted as if they were cooked on a grill. Beer can shrimp in the appetizer menu was also good! I had fries shrimp which were also good! And my son had chicken tenders while my husband opted for Mahi Mahi over grits. All the food was great and the service was as well. We finished it all with the strawberry short cake for desert. Every family member fork was digging into the desert, I think that was a first. It was delicious!!!

Reviewed 14 July 2018

We try to get to the northern beaches of Nags Head north as infrequently as possible. Appointments necessitate a monthly trip and while up there we try to accomplish everything in one visit, typically including lunch. Up to this point there was only one restaurant that we felt we could count on, visit after visit. I have reviewed that restaurant several times in the past. That was until today and our visit to the Kill Devil Grill.
We had tried to go here before on the advice of friends but had turned away because of the crowd. Today we said lets do it and we braved the crowded diner. To start there was always a short line even though we turned up on a good beach day at 1 PM. That didn't stop the waitress at all and we were immediately seated. My wife, typically reluctant to eat fried food, asked the waitress if the fried chicken special was indeed special. The waitress asked if we had ever been here before and we admitted that we hadn't. She then offered this advice: Friday is fried chicken special day and the crowds lined up early to be sure they got that dish. She told us to review the menu while she went to check and make sure they still had a chicken dinner left. Upon her return and assurance that there was a chicken dinner my wife ordered that special and I ordered the small version of fried soft shell crab. Our dinners magically appeared within five minutes and it was a staggering amount of food. A full half chicken on my wife's plate plus two sides. My crab sandwich and fries were more than enough to quiet my appetite. I did try a piece of chicken and it was exactly what southern fried chicken should be, tender with a good crust. My wife, not that big an eater, ended up bringing home the whole breast portion after filling up on the smaller pieces and sides. My crab was exactly what I expected, more than adequate for lunch.
We were in and out of there in 45 minutes and our total bill was $23.11. We passed a line at the door waiting for our booth. Obviously the word was out on the street that the value was located here.
We don't get up here often but we now have two spots that are givens for lunch. You can't beat the value, the emphasis on quality food nor the service. I did find the diner noisy but in part that was due to the nature of the vacationing crowd and the construction of such railroad car diners. Everything else made up for that one flaw.
This should be one of your go to spots. Adjust your plans so that you can add this to your schedule one day. You won't be disappointed. Seems the only person not knowing about this delightful grill was me and I'm now a firm believer.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We visited the Kill Devil Grill on the recommendation of a bartender at another restaurant. She told us to get there early or be prepared to wait. We arrived and were told 45 minutes to an hour but then we figured we’re on vacation what else do we have to do! The wait was so worth it. Greatest husband ever had the halibut special and I had the scallops. Both were cooked to perfection! Our server Fran was attentive and personable. We enjoyed the whole atmosphere of a retro diner. While not a”quiet” restaurant we could easily talk and enjoy the whole vibe. Dessert is a must and shouldn’t be missed. The key lime pie and the chocolate pecan pie were stellar! Well done KDH grill!!