“Rude hostess”

Ranked #12 of 56 Restaurants in Highlands
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Description: The Ugly Dog Pub is a casual pub with food, beer, wine and mixed drinks. A great place to come meet friends or make friends. We feature Trivia Tuesday nights, Bluegrass music on Wednesdays and regional bands on Friday or Saturday nights. We also show sports on TV and special events to keep it fun. We are a relaxed place, so come on in and take a seat, or walk up to the bar and order a drink and something to eat. Hope to see you soon! We are open: Mon. 4pm - until Tues. thru Sun. 11:30 am - until
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Walked in and the hostess asked us to wait outside. We waited 15-20 minutes and noticed other people being sat who came after us. I questioned the hostess. She said, "I'll put your name down, but you'll have to wait another 20 minute." There were empty tables and no one else waiting. I'm guessing they want to pick and choose who eats there.

Kay C, Owner at The Ugly Dog Pub-Highlands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

I am so sorry for the confusion and I we do not ever try to pick and choose who we seat. I will address this issue and hope you will accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The homemade pimento cheese, tots, & honey mustard were phenomenal!!! The locals dog pics around the pub were a cute touch.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

The pub has regular height tables and bar height. Two of us were taken, by the hostess, to a bar height table. I asked for a low table (there were several empty at the time) but was refused because those tables, I was told, are reserved for parties of 3 or more. I have a really bad knee, which I explained, and its hard to sit on bar height stools. The hostess just stared at me with a "not my problem" look on her face. Later I saw several low tables with only two guests because all of the high tables were occupied. So they will seat two people at a low table. We had to wait 15 minutes to order and another 45 for our hot dog and hamburger. My knee started hurting so badly that I had to stand even before the food got there. I had to eat standing up and no one apologized or offered a solution. So not very accommodating to guests. Not worth it for for a basic burger that you can get in other restaurants. Food was ok. I may end up there again one day but it won't ever be my idea to eat there again.

1  Thank vickileigh99

I am so sorry that this happened and we should have addressed your need for a low table with no hesitation. We will work to train our new less experienced employees better and I apologize for the discomfort you experienced.
I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Friendly pub in Highlands NC. We stopped in for drinks while strolling around Highlands. Great spot to gather with friends.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Everything was delicious including the flatbread pizza, beer, and ice cream sandwich dessert!! The ambience in the restaurant was fun and happy. Wednesday night was bluegrass night. Great waiters!