“Plain on the outside, but better on the inside”

Review of Calypso

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
TNTbridet...
Madison, Wisconsin
“Basic needs are met with this rental.”
Reviewed 15 September 2011 for a stay in September 2011

The points I am making in this review don't alone account for the overall quality of a vacation or take away from the great location of the property and the fact that it meets basic needs. I vacation once a month and do not have unrealistic expectations when it comes to accommodations, in fact I prefer to camp sometimes. However, I wish I had read reviews with a more critical eye and wouldn't choose this place knowing what I know now. The beds are hard and the pillows can hardly be called pillows. You enter the home to a distinct musty smell and horribly stained carpeted stairs. The floors including carpets, rugs, and hardwood didn't appear to be vacuumed. The furniture is different and less in quantity than in the photos advertised on the rental website. We were greeted with a broken refrigerator and the possibility of loosing 8 days of food for 7 people. The rental company was very casual about this and said it wasn't an emergency. It isn't an emergency, they are right. However, in this industry customer service is paramount and not attempting in any way to make our vacation meet basic standards upon arrival is poor customer service. We repeatedly asked maintenance to come out the evening of our first day to fix it. They wouldn't come out. It was in fact broken. The rental company didn't provide us with additional coolers or ice the first day to possibly save our hundreds of dollars worth of healthy foods. The house is for sale- maybe this explains something??

The deck is great. The main level, appliances and less furniture aside, meets a family's needs.

My advice to you: come into your Emerald Isle (Realty) vacation home rental with lower expectations and you will probably be happy.

As I said earlier, I travel a lot. I have stayed in every type of accommodations from a mega yacht to camping in a rain forest during rainy season. I'm not a discriminate traveler. This review is simply my opinion and I hope it helps the next guy.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
15 Sep 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at Calypso. I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the service of the refrigerator when you first arrived to the cottage. We are sympathetic to your situation but because a refrigerator loses its core temperature when an incoming guest fills it with hot food, we do ask to allow several hours to see if it will cool your food items. If it doesn't, we're happy to send someone out to troubleshoot the problem, or in your case replace the refrigerator. Our maintenance records do indicate that you were provided with both coolers and ice to keep your food items from spoiling until the replacement refrigerator was installed.

I have forwarded your feedback on to our housekeeping department so attention can be paid to the carpets and reported musty smell throughout. Certainly, we would have been happy to send someone out to remedy these issues had you let us know about them during your stay.

Thank you again for providing your feedback. I hope you will revisit Emerald Isle and allow Emerald Isle Realty the opportunity to host you and your family again.
Kentucky
Reviewed 25 August 2011 for a stay in August 2011

Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 45-54
25 Aug 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at Calypso. I agree that this home provides the excellent location where you can enjoy the island and all it has to offer.

I'm sorry you were disappointed in the appearance of this home. I'll happily pass on your comments to the owner so they can take them into consideration should they decide to refurbish their home.

Thank you again for providing you feedback. Please call us when you're ready to book your next trip to the Crystal Coast - 1-888-832-0140.
VA
Reviewed 15 August 2011 for a stay in August 2011

Travelling group: Family with teenagers
Your age range 45-54
IN
Reviewed 20 July 2011 for a stay in July 2011

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family (extended)
Your age range 55-64
Fredericksburg VA
Reviewed 27 April 2011 for a stay in April 2011

Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 35-44
27 Apr 2011
Thank you for your review. Though rare, on occasion we do need to change the home in which you'll be staying. We do make every attempt to move you to a home which is comparable in size, amenities, etc. to the home you originally rented. I'm pleased to know you and your family did enjoy your stay. Calypso does have a great Oceanfront location and I personally like how the light flows into this home. All of those windows provide a wonderful view, as you metioned.

Thank you again for providing your feedback. I hope you'll choose to vacation with Emerald Isle Realty again.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing