“Absolutely the best place to stay if you want it...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Smooth Sailing

Horses
View from the Kitchen
Location to Turn off the Beach
Livingroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
rrhoff1
Jasper, Indiana
“Absolutely the best place to stay if you want it all!”
Reviewed 17 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017
people found this review helpful

The house is very comfortable and nicely decorated, makes you feel at home during your visit. The laundry room, deck furniture, grill, etc. all contribute to a relaxed stay. If you hope to see wild horses, you won't be disappointed. The location was great, on two different days we saw two different harems right next to our jeep and house. We saw horses every day. It was nice to have a short walk to the beach. In fact, we hardly ever left the house, except to go to the beach. It was a perfect vacation for us and will defiantly be back!

Ashleystr...
Cary
“Perfect Getaway!”
Reviewed 13 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

We looked at tons of options for a little getaway and came across this one! This was by far the best vacation spot we've been to! The 4x4 beaches are remote enough to be able to enjoy the beach! The kids and dad loved being able to off-road. We were welcomed by wild horses on our first morning!! Just a short walk to the beach where we spent most of our time! This home allowed us to bring our 2 dogs who love the beach as much as we do and they enjoyed sunbathing on both porches. Our youngest (7 months) found herself the best spot in the house and took all her naps in the cozy hammock! I loved that the kids were able to play outside the house in the sand for times when we were at the house and they wanted to play. We will definitely be back!!!

485debbie
Rochester, New York
“Very Relaxing with beautiful views!!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

Loved our stay at Smooth sailing, it was so beautiful and relaxing. Watching the horses on the beach was amazing!!. The only caution I would give someone that wants to rent, is that there is many stairs you need to go up and down so you have problems doing stairs, this probably wouldn't be the best place to stay.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Donna P
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Delightful Retreat”
Reviewed 27 January 2016 for a stay in September 2015

This was the most peaceful and relaxing vacation I’ve ever had at the beach. I fell in love with the whole place instantly. The house is charming, comfortable and so thoughtfully equipped. I found everything I needed, including a great selection of books. If you’re a music lover, be sure to bring some cd’s instead of just an ipod or phone. There’s a cd player with speakers attached to the upper corners of the walls in the living and dining area. It was so pleasant to have music fill the house (without being too loud) while I was cooking and dining. The house was immaculate, which was a nice surprise. I have stayed in many beach cottages in various places and not a single one has been all that clean when I arrived. There are always traces of sand, animal hair and dust. But this place was spotless! I’m puzzled by another reviewer who said the house was old and weathered. It’s true the outside steps are weathered, but the house itself is in excellent condition. My only disappointment was the water. Showering was not very pleasant due to the smell of sulfur. But, the gigantic jetted tub was amazing. The water was very brown when the tub was filled, but the smell was not quite as noticeable as it was in the shower. Just think of it as a therapeutic mineral bath. I spent a lot of time in the hammock reading or just enjoying the perfect weather, the faint sounds of the ocean waves and chirping crickets, and the occasional visit from rabbits and horses. There is no noise at all here – no traffic, no construction, no loud garbage trucks in the early morning. My entire stay was a delightful retreat. I had no problems, and no need to contact Angi until the very last minute. I had a problem with the lock box, but when I sent Angi a text, she responded immediately. I live just 12 miles from a popular beach, but I look forward to making another 8 hour drive to go back to Smooth Sailing.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house has great views.
Liked least: Showering, the water has a strong smell of sulfur.
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
28 Jan 2016
Thanks for letting me know how your stay was. I am still working on improving the water. I've began the process of installing a rain water harvesting system. Some owners along the beach are using cisterns and their water is crystal clear. An oxygenator and uv purification should make the water much improved.
RatherBGr...
Clayton, North Carolina
“Make sure you get hurricane inusrance!!”
Reviewed 4 October 2015 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

This house was in a fine location. Walking to the beach CAN be kind of difficult with small kids and your belongings or if you have any mobility issues because of the dunes. But totally worth it when you see the horses! They are always out. The house has everything you will need. But if you book this place during hurricane season make sure you get hurricane insurance. Dealing directly with the owner and not a rental agency can be kind of tricky. The owner never even suggested the insurance and said she would work with us in a hurricane situation because refunds are not given. But lo and behold, we were in the house when Tropical Storm Arthur was headed towards us during the July 4th week in 2014. I expressed my concerns being on a beach with children with no paved roads and told the owner that we would be leaving 3 days early. She said even during a tropical storm, the area is prone to flooding and rather be safe than sorry. I'm glad we left, because the tropical storm had turned into a Hurricane Arthur by the time it hit OBX. The owner said she would put it in her books that we would have 3 days for a future trip either during the 2014 or 2015 season, I contacted her this year around May or June to see if we could use those 3 days and she said she was booked but had openings in September. So I gave her dates for the 3 days. As those dates approached she informed me they were not available. I expressed how disappointed I was and she stated that in order to get those three 'make-up' days I would have to book a full week. This was never part of our email correspondence. I had no intention of spending that kind of money to return to this place. I just wanted what I had paid for and thought that the owner would accommodate what she had promised. I was wrong. And for that reason alone I would never return to this house. I will come back to Corolla but I will go through a rental agency instead and buy the hurricane insurance. Good Luck!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The horses
Liked least: Being lied to
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Management Response
8 Oct 2015
Unlike an agency I have some flexibility since I manage my home. Vacationing on the ocean is dramatic and conditons on the 4 wheel drive beach will make your vacation an adventure. I truly want your stay to be enjoyable and I will do what I can to make that happen. I've let guests arrive early to avoid the long traffic delays and high tide. No guest has ever had to wait long for delivery of bottled water or for repairs. Just let me know what you need. If I say I will do something you can be certain I am committed to doing it. In past years I have rescheduled guests and given discounts, not only for weather but also for illness, death in the family, custody problems and deployment. Under certain circumstances I've kept the offer of replacement dates open for several seasons. I will make a reasonable effort to ensure you have similar days to the lost ones. I will however have the sole right to select the make-up dates. The rental policy regarding booking partial weeks applies also to make up days. Partial holiday weeks can only be reserved 14 days in advance and all other partial weeks can be reserve 30 days in advance. There is limited availability in the summer season. Weeks book quickly. If you want 3 days on a weekend in August for example, it will be difficult but it's not impossible. The spring and fall months have more availability although dates in September and October are still usually booked. Days are often sunny and warm. Guests have told me they still had a nice time despite bad weather and that the house is wonderful. It has everything you need, is warm and cozy. I often have requests for partial weeks and may be able to juggle schedules. I will also need to be able to get unscheduled cleaning service and be reimbursed for fees. You have the options 1) to accept a full week, Saturday to Saturday and pay any additional money for days that are not make-up days and reserve in advance. 2) to accept a partial week which can only be reserved 2 weeks in advance during high season and 30 days in advance during off peak season. 3) or reject both options and forfeit the rents and fees paid. The Rental Agreement is found on Flipkey in it's entirety and is clear with regards to travel insurance and liability. The choice between these alternatives will be your sole remedy for any and all inconveniences arising out of events beyond my control which may interfere with your scheduled occupancy.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing