“Neutral For Now !!!”

La Poblanita Restaurant
Ranked #404 of 2 613 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Description: Best Mexican restaurant in town with karaoke nights every Friday from 9pm-2am Latin nights. One of the best pinata and candy stores in the Carolinas; we make pinatas upon request.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have wanted to try this restaurant for a long time and the other day, my wife and I decided to stop for lunch. I was impressed when I walked in for it was much nicer that I had thought for some reason that it would be. The patrons were mostly Mexican, so I took that as a very positive plus too. The service was excellent, so we were getting off to a great start, then my tacos arrived. I had ordered 2 chicken tacos with beans and rice and truly could not eat them. The chicken was simply awful, dry and even difficult to chew. I normally would have said something, but I was so disappointed that I simply placed my napkin over my plate. My wife had order their nachos supreme and it was awful too. one good point, they appear to serve a good quanity of food with each dish, so if the food was good, it would be an excellent value. So, after thinking about it and reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor, I think we simply visited this place at one of their worst moments, so I am going to go back one day for lunch and give it a second try.

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

I visited La Poblanita 3 times in one week. The first time I ordered a shrimp quesadilla and 2 cheese and onion enchiladas, which are not a menu item. I don’t eat chips or salsa, so can’t comment on those. I’m from Iowa and I order the same thing there. The waitress asked what was in a cheese and onion enchilada. I pointed out that they had cheese enchiladas and to just add some onion to it. I asked if the guacamole had a lot of onions or peppers in it and she said it did. Told her to skip that as I don’t like raw onions and never peppers. Told her all I wanted with the quesadilla was lettuce, tomato and sour cream.

When the food arrived I was surprised by the larger portions. The quesadilla had large shrimp in it and lots of cheese, it was excellent. However, there was onion and cilantro mixed in with the lettuce and tomatoes. I decided to pick around it instead of sending it back. When I pulled the plate with enchiladas to me, I was surprised it was cold. I cut into a enchilada and it was cold as well. The onions weren’t even cooked. When she brought the check she asked how everything was and I told her the enchiladas were cold. She offered to take them back and have them heated, but I declined the offer. She said she would take it off the bill, but I told her I appreciated that they were willing to try something different and I would pay for them. She insisted on removing them and did so.

My second order was a take out order of 2 shrimp quesadillas. I told them I only wanted lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream, nothing else. I picked up the order and when I got home found a container of green stuff that was not guacamole and a container that had something orange in it and no tomatoes. I threw out the 2 containers and ate them without the tomatoes sadly.

The next time I ordered take out, I made it very clear that all I wanted was 2 shrimp quesadillas with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. I told her, nothing else, just those items. This time I noticed there was a bag of chips and a container of salsa on top of the styrofoam containers. I handed them to the waiter and told him I didn’t want them. I did get the lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream, but someone different made the quesadillas, because not only was there shrimp and cheese in them like the 2 previous times, but also onions, peppers and something black I didn’t recognize. I ate the shrimp with the veggies and sour cream and threw the rest away.

Not sure why they don’t understand a slimmed down order or specifics, or why the additional ingredients in the last quesadilla, which is why they don’t get five stars.

Another reason would be due to how open the inside is, it’s very noisy, which is why I ordered take out the next two times.

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

Craving good Mexican food? This is the spot! Can’t decide which is the best...their tamales or their salsa verde enchiladas. Who cares? Try both! Nice service. Great salsa and atmosphere. Check it out. Yum!

Reviewed 5 May 2018

I live locally and have passed this place for the last 17 years judging the “book by its cover” because to me it looks very plain and honestly I always thought it was a small local biker bar. OMG was I wrong. This place looks bigger than it does from the outside. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is nice. I went at lunch with some coworkers and the place was crowded but staff was busy getting patrons their drinks and food. I will say that the portions are smaller than I was used to with other Mexican restaurants near by but the flavor was different. To me it reminded me of a more authentic cuisine, similar to what I had in Cozumel. I had the beef chimichanga with rice and beans along with some cheese dip and chips. It was delicious, definitely going to go back. Please don’t make the mistake I made by looking at the outside this place is a jewel.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

If you want 'real' Mexican food and drink this is your place. The service is excellent and the food even better. I have eaten at 9 'Mexican' restaurants in Charlotte and this is real #1, Azteca #2 and no more Mexican restaurants.