All reviews free shuttle quiet location calamari spice farm a wonderful stay beach hotel the hotel manager the hotel offers prison island mangroves marriott sunset zanzibar tide safari africa terrace
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Very quiet - removed from stone town. Its not walking distance. But they do offer a free shuttle a few times a day. Nice private beach - perfect for a couple's weekend get away.

They should spray the rooms less - the constant spraying of disinfectant made my head hurt - I had to switch rooms. They were very accommodating but then wanted to spray the new room too. I don't think the staff understand how toxic that stuff is.

Some rooms were under construction while I was there - but it didn't bother me... there are only a dozen or so rooms so its a nice private hotel.

Very reasonably priced :)

Room Tip: Ask them to NOT spray your room
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank ABRreviews
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear ABRreviews

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay. I have duly noted your comment about spraying in the evenings and conveyed the same to our housekeeping TEAM. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We stayed at the Hotel Mbwnei Ruins before heading to the mainland for a safari. We highly recommend it; the hotel is convenient to the airport, which was great for us as we arrived at 1:15 AM. It is also convenient to Stone Town. They run a shuttle several times a day, and it is a short taxi ride. The hotel is located on a very nice, sheltered beach. The Raintree Restaurant is part of the hotel complex and serves good food. It has a wonderful gazebo for extended outdoor dining which also connects to a long pier out into the ocean -- a fine place to enjoy the ocean breeze. The hotel is in the process of completing renovation of its guest rooms. Ours was one of these. It was spacious and clean, with a lovely terrace overlooking the beach and grounds, a great bathroom, and was furnished with local Tanzanian carved furniture. The hotel and restaurant staff were attentive and professional. We loved the Mbweni ruins themselves, which evoke the old days of Zanzibar, and the lush gardens throughout the property.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor unit and make sure it is one of the renovated ones.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vinelady

Dear Vinelady

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay and you enjoyed the ruins, its history and the lush garden. We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Great place when i went there they gave me a memorable stay and they were so good at the hospitality and stuff but the main thing which surprised me was there was a beach just outside the room i was really happy about that.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Dear Vishal V

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay and you appreciated the rooms located right at the beach. We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

We spent a week in January 2018 in this wonderful hotel. The location is great, just minutes away from the airport and the city, the beach, restaurants, pool, infrastructure - all what one can expect and desire exceeded our expectations. The management (Operations: Mr. Shekar Malik) was absolutely the highlight of our stay, he took care of everything, transfer, rooms, bookings, spa, etc at a level that goes beyond his job attributions. We can highly recommend this location, for singles, families with children, business or leisure. I am sure everybody will understand our high appreciation after staying at this venue. Thank you again to everybody, great team, great time, we will come back.

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank The_Andronics
DinishAntony, Group General Manager - Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Dear TudorAG

Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I am delighted that you had a great time and the STAFF ensured your comfort. I will pass your comments to them, especially Shekhar and thank for job well done. We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

This hotel is located in these old ruins, it's unlike any other place I've stayed. It's a nice quiet place with a good staff. The beach is fine but the locals go there to play so it not quiet at all times. If you are looking for beaches I wouldn't recommend protea but if you want to be near stone town and good pricing then this is your place.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank hadasawitty
DinishAntony, Group General Manager-Protea Hotels by Marriott ( Dsm/Znz) at Protea Hotel Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear hadasawitty

Thank you for taking time to write this review. All beaches in Tanzania are public, hence the public cannot be refused access to the beaches (if there is a public access). But we work with our neighbours who frequent the beach to keep the premises clean and keep it quiet during early mornings and night. we thank you for the positive comments and look forward to host you again.