All reviewsbig joeseafood restaurantindian oceanwrap around balconymain restaurantbeautiful hotelpublic beachterrace restaurantsea viewold worldnice poolwalking tourthe general managerspice tourold buildingno elevatornarrow streets
Reviewed 17 May 2016

This is a perfect place for all types of travelers.
Excellent value for money.
The service is excellent from room service to the dining and bar areas.
the Hotel also has a Beach Facility at Mangapwani, where they have excellent sea food on the Menu.

Room Tip: top floor overlooking the sea. beautiful sunsets
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2016

I absolutely love the Mdele coffee shop. They have the most delectable flavoured Ice coffees and Jacqueline will brighten up any day with her friendly smile.

Great a la carte menu selection at Baharia restaurant and the prices are good value for money.

Lameck and his team are so welcoming and really makes you feel at home.

I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Lizette W
Reviewed 11 May 2016

A busy schedule meant that I only stayed one night at this beautiful spot and only enjoyed one breakfast spread (including scones) in the fantastic dining room overlooking the ocean, the harbour, fishing boats and small islands. Giant container ships and dhows drifted past and fishermen waved. I would like to have spent all day gazing at the world sailing by, but I had to attend some meetings. My room was compact but comfortable with a little balcony, a sea view and all mod cons. Beyond the hotel, the piles of waste, dwindling ground water and an outbreak of cholera made me wonder how Zanzibar can continue to attract tourists... In fact I think the islanders are facing very serious environmental and public health problems, but inside the Serena all is peace and pleasure (at a price...).

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2016

i stayed here with my partner on Holiday and our anniversary.Despite the heavy rains in stone town,the hotel provided maximum comfort and we single out the Taarab music played every evening at the bar.Staff were at hand to help and the food was excellent, particularly the seafood restaurant overlooking the sea. Lameck from food and beverage ensured that our anniversary cake was presented in style and we will forever have that memories.The antiques displayed in the hallways bring out the true history of Zanzibar.We will be nack!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2016 via mobile

The Serena Resort in Stone Town, Zanzibar is absolutely out of this world. The rooms are incredibly clean, the staff is always smiling and provides world-class customer service. Everything is available 24 hours per day, and the prices are reasonable. The food is wonderful, and they offer both local dishes and worldwide favorites.

A free champagne brunch is served everyday, including local specialties and traditional favorites, from yogurt and fruit, to eggs and sausage, to an omelette/crepe station. Ten different breads, and excellent cappuccino! And be sure to try the best-ever local Bunga juice.

Guests can take a free shuttle to a private, white sand beach where they open up a restaurant just for you.

Live African music almost nightly near the pool.... It goes on and on. I give it a "five out of five."

I have read the bad reviews here on TripAdvisor, and the only thing I can say is that the management must have taken them to heart. I have not found one single thing written in a bad review to be true. The showers are perfect. The AC works great. The (public) beach is clean. There is no sewage smell. The staff is far from rude. And the lovely local music stops before dinner is over.

This place is great, and I will be back.

-Jonathan Heyerdahl