Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews nomad camp manager ken the river pleasure of staying special experience wildlife viewing other camps three days hussein tent lions guide drive safari animals bird knowledge
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We spent 4 days in this camp. Although towards the end of the Season we were priviledged to be the only guests which was a blessing as the redoubtable Manager ,Ken, and his friendly staff of a dozen or more looked after us so well.The rains having arrived the grass etc. was knee deep which made game viewing difficult. Our wonderful guide, Hussein, was not deterred and found a kill by a pride of 7 loins which we watched for some hours.He was also a keen observer and knowledgable about the abundant birdlife which added an extra dimension to the sightings of other fauna.This is how a safari should be - personal,informative and very special.An exceptional visit. Thanks so much.

Room tip: Ask for most secluded tent.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaJaspellerie
Reviewed 16 February 2018

If there is one place on earth where I could lose my soul, it’s this one. We thought by moments that we were in the garden of Eden. What a beautiful and diversified nature.. Almost no tourists as well which is, after Serengeti, very enjoyable. The presence of the Ruaha river makes the whole place even magic with lots of beautiful birds, hippos and hundreds of elephants. Apparently even 10% of the african lion population lives here.
The Kigelia Ruaha Camp is set up in the spirit ‘back to the basic’ but in a very pleasant way. As all nomads camps ghis is a very small tented camp 7 tents)
Very nice staff and manager who does a great job.
We did a walking safari as well, glad to strectch the legs.
For us, Ruaha was the absolute highlight in our trip because of the diversity of landscape and the presence of the Ruaha river (but take the dry season in consideration, river dries up).
Ps. We flew from Serengeti to this remoted place

Room tip: only 7 tents, all good location
Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank KREEFT
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

It was my 7-th visit to Ruaha. I have to admit that I love this park. This time it was exceptionally quite - regarding wildlife or to be precise Big Five. The first rains happened and animals disperse, no need to gather at few waterholes. This time I chose Kigelia Camp, not only because of the offer 7=5 but also to experience a camp I have not stayed in yet and I have a good experience with Nomad's camp at Mahale. The park was also very quite visitor wise.
Most probably not the best for a company but I had the camp entirely for myself as well as all activities. Camp staff made my stay wonderful. Manager Ken did an exceptional job. To have just one visitor in the camp can be a burden as well since this person has to be sort of being entertained all the time. Notably did guide Hussein. Having one guest in a car for seven days, mostly all day long and making sure that this person is not getting bored because not so many big ones around..... I can only say WOW. Profound knowledge of the bush and a very keen eye on small things - that's what I admire. There are only 4 camps in Ruaha I would or most probably will visit again. Kigelia is one of them. I have to admit that I do not need running shower water or internet all the time. I want to be in the bush and a bit more comfortable than in a dome tent. Yes the price is quite something but if one breaks it down I can live with it.
I had a great experience. Thank's to all again for pampering me.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank fraugold
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here before heading to Nomad’s Sand Rivers site and, honestly, liked Ruaha more (animals were arguably better at Ruaha). Sand Rivers will bring you hippos and crocs as well as fancier accommodations (no bucket shower, a pool, boating), but the rough roads and sparse animal watching just couldn’t top our experience at Ruaha. To be clear, the food and staff at both camps are great. Also, this time of year Ruaha is quite dry whereas Sand Rivers is getting rain and therefore “green” in comparison (=a great pairing of camps).

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Exploration568148
Reviewed 9 November 2017

The staff, especially Seneti, wanted nothing more than to make your stay perfect. From the food with very healthy choices ,to the cold drinks, and to the twice daily bucket showers.
The tent was very comfortable. More comment on that in a moment.
This is a remote camp in the land of extremes. And October, when we stayed there, is extreme. It is brutally hot midday with not a cloud in sight. The staff does its best with fans, but it is oppressive.
We had two nice lion encounters, but less that we expected as this area is touted as the lion capital.
Surprisingly, the nights are very comfortable sleeping as it cools down nicely.
A great stay during a difficult time of year.

Date of stay: October 2017