Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
little198
Fairfax, Virginia

Excellent camp, staff, and wildlife!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 Oct 2021
We had an excellent two night safari with Ikuka. Their whole team was top notch, from our guide Joffrey's picking us up until our departure. Joffrey provided expert information, positioned our jeep beautifully to get photos,and located the diverse game of Ruaha while patiently teaching a young safari goer. Camp meals were some of the best food our family has had in two plus years in Tanzania with fresh salads from local produce and home baked breads. Camp staff offered to make special meals for our son unprompted and asked to ensure he was having a good experience. Ikuka's team treated guests like family, dining with visitors in the evening. For anyone looking for an intimate safari experience where the staff tailors the trip to your preferences, our family would recommend this beautiful, hilltop camp. We would happily return, and Ikuka would be equally special for a couple's trip.

Game spotted included lions, leopards, buffalo, elephants, zebra, hyena, kudu, and more than 75 bird species.
Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 16 Oct 2021
Thank you so much to you and your family for this lovely review and for sharing your experience with others on here, we truly appreciate it. We loved having you all to stay and we look forward to staying in touch. Best wishes from your Ikuka Family.
    37.8 km from Ikuka Safari Camp
    Bar/Lounge
    24.6 km from Ikuka Safari Camp
    Free parking
    View more hotels in Ruaha National Park
    All reviews safari camp owners mark game drives plunge pool our honeymoon pure luxury bush breakfast breathtaking views hot water bottles travel agent great outdoors felt completely rock house great gin and tonic positive energy sitting room animal tracks
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 9 October 2021 via mobile

You might be reading the reviews to decide if you want to book a safari at Ikuka. Trust me, you do. If you have the chance, book it now. Future you will be thankful.

I had the privilege to spend 4 days at Ikuka and this was the best experience of my life. The place is heaven. Everyone at the camp is so friendly and make you feel welcome. The atmosphere is relaxed and you’ll be a part of a wonderful family. The place itself is so beautiful and the attention to every little detail really shows. The food is amazing and your preferences are taken into consideration beyond belief.

And the game drives.. wow. I was so lucky to be out in the bush with Geoffrey who is such a lovely person and has so much knowledge to share. The sightings we had were unbelievable (for example 6 leopard sightings!!) and I’m still not sure if I dreamt it all. Mark helped me with my camera settings and I got great tips from Tom & Geoffrey which means I have wonderful pics to look back on, even if I’m basically a photography noob.

I could go on forever, Ikuka was unreal and I never wanted to leave. I’ll definitely come back! This was my first safari and first time in Africa, and I believe nothing will ever come close. Perfection.

I wish you all the best & hope I see you all again. Asante sana for giving me the best experience of my life, Ikuka family.

Ps. Try a night at the Rock House! You’ll feel amazing falling asleep under the stars and possibly wake up to elephants walking by.

Date of stay: October 2021
    Trip type: Travelled solo
    2  Thank 170stinas
    IKUKA SAFARI CAMP, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2021

Wow what can we say, we are extremely privileged to receive this wonderful review from you, thank you so much, we truly appreciate it and it means a lot to us all that we gave you the best experience of your life! We look forward to staying in touch. Warm wishes from your Ikuka Family.

Reviewed 1 October 2021

We spent four nights at Ikuka during our month long safari in Tanzania in August. It is an amazing experience! Being family owned and operated, we felt that every need was anticipated and fulfilled. Chloe, Mark, and their young daughters are wonderful hosts. The tents are beautifully appointed and comfortable. Food was outstanding. Long safari drives yielded a wealth of animal spotting and lots of info on local trees and plants. Festo was our guide and he did a fantastic job every day. Ruaha is aa treasure! Don't miss this experience. We were there during Covid so not many other guests but no shortage of attention!

Date of stay: August 2021
    IKUKA SAFARI CAMP, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2021

Thank you very much for this lovely review and for sharing your experience here with others. We truly enjoyed hosting you and getting to know you! Ruaha is indeed a treasure :) Best wishes from us all. The Ikuka Family.

Reviewed 30 August 2021

I can’t believe I forgot to leave a review so sorry. Really don’t want to leave a review as want the place all to myself. We have now been to Ikuka twice and will return. When you first walk into the dining room and look over the Ruaha Park it takes your breathe away. This is how Safari should be done luxury in a very homely way. Do not for one minute think you will leave hungry at any time they are constantly feeding you with the most delicious food that you would be hard pushed to fine in a city restaurant. Rooms are out of this world and will never tire of looking out into the Ruaha. Everything is thought of for odour comfort. Once you have picked up your jaw and got out on Safari you will not be disappointed. The guides are amazing and can’t do enough for you and look after you. We met an old friend from a previous camp Festo again and what this man doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing about Tanzania and it’s wildlife, plants and trees. This visit was timed with Christmas and this has to be one of the best Christmases I have ever had and we can’t thank Mark and Chloe enough for letting us join their family Christmas. We have made memories of several lifetime over our two visits here and long to go back.

Room tip: Any they are all amazing
    Date of stay: December 2020
    IKUKA SAFARI CAMP, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2021

Thank you so much for this review and for sharing with others on here; we are incredibly honoured that you have become some of our best return visitors, thank you for your support! We loved sharing Christmas with you both. We look forward to staying in touch. Best wishes from your Ikuka family.

Reviewed 26 August 2021 via mobile

Our stay at Ikuka was absolutely magical. We stayed 2 nights but wished we could stay longer. The staff were incredibly generous and the quality of the guiding was amazing. We did both game drives and a walking safari. Our walking guide, Mark, was incredibly professional and knowledgeable and we managed to see elephant while on foot as well as other plains game. The view from the lodge is amazing and on a clear day you can see for miles. This is definitely a place to add to your bucket list and we will be back again soon!

Date of stay: August 2021
    Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and for sharing your experience on here with others. We loved hosting you both and we hope that you can stay for longer next time! We look forward to staying in touch. Best wishes from your Ikuka family.

Reviewed 19 August 2021

My family and I recently returned from our first Safari in Tanzania. The Ikuka, in Ruaha, was the 3rd camp we stayed at... so we felt pretty seasoned by then. However, we were not prepared for the amazing treatment we got throughout our stay. First off, the accommodations are top notch... everything is clean, well appointed(Mark, the owner, credits his wife, Chloe for all the details and special touches), beautiful linens, views, etc. Next... the meals, each one, was different from the next and I would have been thrilled to have had any of them in a nice restaurant. The service, which mainly goes unseen while you are out on safari or sleeping, was wonderful and always with a smile. I loved that this was our last place because it felt like both a vacation AND a safari. The employees are all professional and personal and they constantly are trying to make sure you are enjoying your vacation. The location, from a safari perspective, is also quite spectacular. You never know what animal or bird you might see around the bend or behind a bush or in the river bed... keep your eyes looking everywhere. Mark, was also a former guide, so he has lots of insight and even helped me out tremendously with some camera/zoom lens issues I was having. Would highly recommend staying here and get prepared to be pampered.

Room tip: The Hondo Hondo was a great family room
    Date of stay: August 2021
    IKUKA SAFARI CAMP, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2021

Thank you so much for the lovely review and for sharing your experience with others; we are truly honoured and we really enjoyed hosting you all at Ikuka, thank you for choosing to visit us! We look forward to staying in touch. Best wishes, the Ikuka family.