Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Ashton76
Tanzania

Great spot in Ruaha

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 03 Nov 2020via mobile
Visited for three nights, the camp boasts fantastic views from great deck and pool area. The units are very comfortable and some have their own splash pools. Staff were very attentive, the guides were friendly and knowledgeable. The owners gave a personal touch and make you feel at home. The meals will surprise you despite the remote location. Great venue and well worth a visit!

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 25 Jan 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write us this lovely review and for sharing your experience with others. It was our pleasure to have you as our guests. All the best from the Ikuka Family.
Get rewarded with One Key
      29.9 km from Ikuka Safari Camp
      Bar/Lounge
      24.6 km from Ikuka Safari Camp
      View more hotels in Ruaha National Park
      All reviews safari camp owners mark game drives plunge pool our honeymoon pure luxury bush breakfast breathtaking views hot water bottles travel agent great outdoors felt completely rock house great gin and tonic positive energy sitting room animal tracks
      Selected filters
      Reviewed 29 October 2020

Ikuka is simply divine. It's paradise on earth. It's a tented camp perched high on a hill overlooking a river and plains.

My tent had mesh which zipped up at night, preventing any mosquitos or other creepy crawlers from entering my space. The tent was housed underneath a semi-permanent thatched hut and featured its own bathroom area, living room and the most comfortable bed -- it was very difficult to get out of bed for a 6:00am game drive -- but that was the whole point of my trip. I also had a balcony overlooking the Mwagusi River valley. The entire valley. I had a view that stretched 12 kilometers, and sunrises were glorious bursts of oranges and violets over the mountains and horizon.

While the premises are superlative, what really makes the experience is Mark Sheridan-Johnson and his team. It was very obvious that the team really enjoyed their work, and they went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

Ikuka normally serves meals in a communal style in the restaurant, which has now been changed due to ​COVID​. The meals are wonderful affairs done by a South African-trained chef, who caters to any dietary restrictions. I told Mark I was a vegetarian. This wasn’t at all a problem, as I was served halloumi cheese fritters and a tomato gazpacho for dinner one night and an aubergine carpaccio another night. Every meal was so well presented that it was difficult to imagine that I was in the bush, miles away from a big city, when eating one of Chef Charles’ creations.

My guide, Geofrey, had really, really keen eyes which could spot a leopards footprints in the dust and provide a time stamp as to when the cat had passed by and its gender. He knew all the birds and beasts that inhabited Ruaha, and would readily whip out books on his dashboard on birds or mammals of Sub-Saharan Africa. The quality of the guiding is unparalleled here -- especially since Geofrey is an excellent photographer himself.

As I was writing this review, I kept reflecting on my experience there, wondering if there were any negatives that I should highlight. There was -- the night before I left, I was wide awake, feeling sorry for myself that I would have to go back to reality, because I felt like I'd been in paradise.

Mark and team -- thank you for a wonderful, magical experience. I hope to be back soon.

Room tip: You can't go wrong. Every room has a great view.
      Date of stay: September 2020
      IKUKA SAFARI CAMP, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2021

Thank you ever so much for this glowing review, it means so much to us all. We really enjoyed having you as our guest and getting to know you. Thank you for choosing a safari in these times and thank you for choosing us, we really appreciate it! We look forward to continuing to staying in touch. Best wishes from your Ikuka Family.

Reviewed 18 October 2020

Where to even begin?
      Myself and my partner, Grant, live in Tanzania and have worked in the safari industry for a collective 20 years!
      Ikuka Lodge just really blew our mind.

It is perched on a hill, with the most breath-taking view over the Ruaha National Park. Being up high gives you perspective - you can see the Baobab trees in the valley below, and watch for animals from the comfort of your suite.

The lodge itself is beautiful (and we have a particularly detail oriented eye). We stayed in their newest suite - and it is absolute bliss. Besides game drive, we never wanted to leave it.

The bed is HUGE and extremely comfortable, beautiful linen, elegant and understated safari chic design that makes you feel as if you are blending in to nature. A bathroom of dreams, with a free-standing bath that also looks out over the national park below.
      With a seperate "coffee/chill/dining area" on the side - it is a home away from homes. We loved our suite so much that we ate all of our meals here, dipping in our private pool, and enjoying a lovingly made GnT!

The food was really truly impressive. Delicious, variety, great plating - perfect portion sizes - and they met my gluten-free and vegetarian requirements with such ease!

Beautiful lodge, breath-taking views, amazing food - what more could you want...?

Well, what truly made Ikuka special to us were the people! Such an incredible, warm, hospitable team - who made you feel like you were living in luxury, BUT at the same time, you were at home and completely a part of the family.

Festo, our guide, made our stay for us - 100%. He was a true naturalist in every sense of the word. We loved every minute of game drive with Festo - his knowledge was top notch, but what really made us love our time with him so special was how he told stories, the passion he showed and shared for the bush, and the true friendship we developed. We laughed so much on this safari! Our game viewing was incredible - Elephants everywhere, cheetah and cubs, lions, leopard, buff - oh, and so much wonderful birding.

Festo - we cannot thank you enough.

Chloe and Mark, Lodge Managers, were so hospitable and ensured that we truly did have a wonderful time with them. we will be forever grateful to their warmth and hospitality. Thank you!

We will definitely be back!!

Date of stay: September 2020

Thank you so much for this glowing review and for sharing your experience on here with others, we really appreciate it! We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed everything about your stay and Ruaha. Thanks again and we look forward to staying in touch. Best wishes from the Ikuka Family.

Reviewed 28 August 2020 via mobile

As someone has been on a fair few safaris across sub-Saharan Africa, the top camps and lodges seamlessly showcase you the wonders of the park you are in yet subtly enhance it at the same time. Ikuka is one of those places and definitely ranks in my opinion as on of Tanzania's very best safari outfitters.

There are so many reasons why Ikuka is a must visit, some of which you just have to go and find out for yourself, but my top 3 would be the below:

Location - having stayed at most of the other camps in Ruaha National Park, Ikuka has by far the best view. Set on an escarpment overlooking the Mwagusi River Valley (the prime game viewing area in the park), every room and the main area are treated to sweeping panoramas of mountains, savanna and meandering rivers. Picture postcard stuff. Ruaha itself is a gem of a park. Far away from the overcrowded northern safari circuit, a journey here is a rekindling of the safari days of old. With a good guide (see below), it is very easily possible to go on a game drive and not see another soul (especially outside July/August high season) and the scenery and game viewing does not disappoint.

Staff - You can tell from the moment you arrive that the owners want a laid back homely feel (you are on holiday after all!) that avoids the stuffy hospitality-course taught formality that so many luxury safari camps exhibit these days. Mark, owner/walking guide, has assembled a friendly bunch, who go about their business with ease and are wholly encouraged to chat and engage, yet knew when to leave me alone to enjoy my book (complete with gin and tonic) around the pool. Housekeeping was spot on, as were the chefs who had a healthy yet wholesome menu on point each day.

Activities - the migrants birds at this time of year were exceptional (Ruaha has over 580 species in all) as well as seeing lots of young impala, zebras and other mammals bouncing around. The rivers were high and the bush was extremely lush, a great contrast to the dusty bare summer months of previous visits. Signs of predators were always around, and I did see lions twice during my stay. My excellent guide, Festo, informed me that the greener season had been bringing better sightings of smaller predators such as serval,caracal and wild dogs whilst the drier months leopard and lions moved in and were seen daily. Having done the odd walking safari on my previous visits at other camps, I was looking forward to doing one with Mark - something that friends of mine whom had stayed said was a highlight. However, unfortunately on this occasion the rains had been such that the grass was too long and safety had to come first - something that I was nevertheless pleased the camp took as a priority.

All in all the combination of stunning views, endearing staff amidst one of East Africa's truly wild national parks, I can't recommend a stay here enough. Looking forward to going back sooner rather than later!

Date of stay: February 2020
      Trip type: Travelled solo
      1  Thank jcderman
      IKUKA SAFARI CAMP, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2020

Thank you for your lovely and detailed review and for sharing your experience on here with others; we truly appreciate it! We are so pleased that with all your experience of traveling in Africa that you rate us highly in all aspects and found Ruaha to be such a special place. We look forward to welcoming our guests back again soon. With best wishes from your Ikuka family.

Reviewed 28 August 2020 via mobile

I had the amazing opportunity to stay at this lodge last year. Outstanding views across the park and I loved the open rooms! The staff make you feel at home, Habibu was a fantastic guide and Lily and Jake were great hosts - always around for a drink and a chat!

Certainly one of the best lodges I've stayed at and would return in a heart beat!

Date of stay: September 2019
      Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review and for sharing with others on here. We truly appreciate it and glad you felt at home and we can't wait to welcome our guests back again soon. Best wishes from the Ikuka family.

Reviewed 22 March 2020 via mobile

We spent 4 wonderful nights at Ikuka. The most beautiful lodge with outstanding rooms, views to die for and most important of all the most welcoming, friendly and kind people. Habib - our guide - was magnificent in every way. Such huge knowledge, patience, enthusiasm and all accompanied with an enormous sense of humour. We loved finding some truly wonderful birds - the boys so beautifully “dressed to impress”!! The variety of terrain, vegetation, birds and animals was mind boggling. We feel incredibly lucky to have spent some time at Ikuka, no hesitation in giving 10/10!

Date of stay: February 2020
      Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      ikuka_safari_camp, General Manager at Ikuka Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2020

Thank you very much for your simply wonderful review and for sharing your experience with others on here, we truly appreciate it! We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed the camp, Ruaha and meeting our lovely team and that you got to see some handsome birds! We look forward to staying in touch. Best wishes from the Ikuka family.