“Huge house and wonderful garden for children...”

Review of Elms Farmhouse

Front twin bedroom
Stairs and Hallway
Elizabethan passage
Games room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
evelynwat...
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Huge house and wonderful garden for children excellently placed .”
Reviewed 16 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Excellent location for visiting the sea ,garden for games and pool and games room for more recreation. Dog friendly. House very good for a large group well equipped kitchen but limited surfaces for catering for 18. Mixed age group family all had a great time.

Your age range 65+
tweed1946
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“felt like I was Coming Home”
Reviewed 24 January 2017 for a stay in November 2016

I managed to get a group of friends an family to join me again at this lovely old Farmhouse. As soon as I walked through the door I felt at home again, I couldn't wait to get into the kitchen to prepare a lovely meal to serve in the large formal dining room. We lit a log fire and enjoyed the cosy feel of this very large house. We used the swimming pool, (nice and warm), and the games room, good fun all round. I love the fact the house is a mixture of low old beams and high Georgian ceiling's , something to suit everyone with a modern feel to it. Plenty of seating in all areas, including the garden, we were lucky with the weather, but in a house of this size it doesn't matter, there is room for all. One of my favourite places.

790sophie...
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed 30 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Had a wonderful time at Elms Farmhouse. A large group of us stayed and there was plenty of room for everyone. It has a lovely feel about the place and is really homely. The dining room is great with enough space to seat more than 18 people and we enjoyed a special birthday celebration dinner. There's also plenty of room in the living room and it was so nice to all be able to sit in there together too. The garden is huge and our two dogs loved running around it. The angel inn is only a five minute walk away and the food there was delicious. We also went on a nature walk nearby the farmhouse which was really pleasant. Being just a short drive from Southwold, staying here is convenient if you have a car and want to venture out a bit too. All in all we had a lovely time, it was the perfect location for a 60th birthday get together and we'd definitely visit again.

Management Response
27 Apr 2017
please note that this review was posted by someone in the same group as the posted review on 15th Dec 2016 by 'Harriette Coop', who left an unwarranted negative review of 1/5.
tweed1946
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Felt like a lady of the manor”
Reviewed 11 October 2016 for a stay in July 2016

I stayed in this lovely old "Farmhouse" in the summer with my family and some friends, ages ranged from 6 up to 80, there was so much to do in the local area, we loved the Quay in Southwold, and the quaint high street with it's varied array of shops, the pier is a great attraction. The House was very large and accommodating for us all, furnished very nicely with lovely bed linen. The kitchen was great with two dishwashers and two of everything so no shortages when dishing up the lovely meals we made while there, As a caterer I was very impressed with all the gadgets making life easy as at home. the formal dining table is amazing large enough for us all to sit round and wide enough to use all the lovely serving dishes etc. the swimming pool was lovely suited swimmers and non swimmers, I didn't mind the walk across the garden as it was so nice and we had good weather. We all enjoyed the games room with the pool and darts and other games, also lots of books and games available. We are already looking to next year to have a weekend reunion as we all got on so well, great fun all round. Well done Clair and Scott, special mention to Clair for her help in shopping tips.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The quirky way the rooms and stairs were, it was fun for the young ones to play hide and seek
Liked least: If I had to be picky it would be the walk to the pool, not very far but I was walking badly at the time.
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
DayTrip59...
“Went to court to get back deposit and compensation”
Reviewed 26 September 2016 for a stay in January 2016

The owner/manager of this property would only return my deposit and pay compensation if I signed a non disclosure agreement - i.e. I didn't tell anyone about what happened and the service I received. Perhaps that's why there aren't any bad reviews here?
For us, it was a broken down boiler - in January! Sometimes things go wrong and that's understandable but I believe it is how they are dealt with that sets apart good and bad service.
We argued for a while about the level of compensation but to resolve the issue I agreed to their lower offer. They then said they would only pay it if I signed the non disclosure agreement. From this point I found they were trying to intimidate me with phrases and actions like 'legally trained' and a time bound offer for compensation. They have not been at all nice to deal with after the event.
I will not deal with this owner/manager again following their behaviour but if you're going, I found the fire in the lounge returned a lot of smoke to the room and even after the boiler repair, the house never really got warm so if you're going over winter, take plenty of warm clothes.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
4 Feb 2017
This client did suffer a major malfunction to the heating system during their stay which was rectified as quickly as possible (3 callouts in the first 18 hours of occupation, resulting in 1 night without heat - and free logs and back up heaters installed).
We offered a very reasonable sum of money for compensation but the client refused to accept the offer and demanded over twice the sum, stating that, unless we accepted his figure, he would leave negative feedback on various websites. We refused to be intimidated by his demands and the matter ended up in Court. The Judge agreed that the figure we offered was the correct one and this figure (our original offer) was duly paid to the client immediately.
I feel our experience with this client, highlights a major issue with 'feedback' forums. They can be used by unscrupulous people to apply extreme pressure onto decent folk in order to get large refunds. We stood our ground and were vindicated by the Court.
On a further note regarding the smoking chimney. The client failed to light the fire correctly.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing