“Awsome”
Review of Cheetah's Rock

Cheetah's Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: GET CLOSER! THE ONCE IN A WILD-LIFETIME EXPERIENCE ONLINE PRE BOOKING NECESSARY! Cheetah's Rock is now open on Zanzibar!. Cheetah's Rock is a unique, very special place where people and Animals interact directly - face to face, eye to eye. We are Not a Zoo, We are are Not a Wildlife sanctuary - We are something completely different. Prepare yourself for a magical, memorable and remarkable experience. We believe in introducing wildlife in a really different, much closer, interactive and more personal way. The welfare of our animals on Cheetah's Rock is paramount! Return transport from close by (Stone Town, Nungwi, Kiwengwa, Pwani Mchangani, Kendwa etc) included! NO ENTRY WITHOUT A BOOKING
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Deep respect for Jenny and her crew! She puts all her love and energy in the animals she rescues from all cruelties. With patience and love she gets trust from the wild animals. At the end we had the pleasure to meet Tyson. Almost as sweet as my own housecats . I highly recommend to visit this park. It is not cheap, but worth every dollar when you know the money is spend on this great and lovely animals!!

Greetz,
Marieke

Jenny A, Inhaber at Cheetah's Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Marieke,

You posted such a cool photo of Tyson the Cheetah, thank you. You captured his majestic yet gentle spirit very well.
Thank you for your welcome praise of our work for animal welfare and wildlife conservation here at Cheetah’s Rock. I have passed on your praise to my hard-working staff including my son Ennio.
Yes, isn’t it amazing what level of trust among the wild animals our 100 % positive reinforcement animal handling based on respect and love for the animal has created?
It is because of this that all of you can enjoy the unique experience of interacting personally with the rescued wild animals whose will and spirit we respect always.
Thank you for your visit and your review. Please keep your happy memories of Cheetah’s Rock in your heart for a long time.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Highly recommend a visit to Cheetah's Rock to meet Jenny and her team and learn about the amazing conservation work they are doing here. The claims of interaction with many animals initially creates some worry about their authenticity, but you are instantly re-assured as soon as you meet Jenny and see her passion for the work they do there. The level of trust she's created amongst some very wild animals is incredible, and shows the years of effort in training and working with these beautiful animals.

1  Thank Tom D

Dear Tom,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic recommendation to visit Cheetah’s Rock.
Isn’t it amazing indeed to witness what years of love and respect for our rescued wild animals have achieved?
As you write, it is only because of building up trust in these wonderful creatures that you get to interact with them on such a personal level.
As none of our rescued wild animals can be released into the wild ever again, for personal reasons I explain on the tour, meeting you human visitors enriches their social lives.
I demand respect for them from every guest. Love is wonderful, but it cannot be demanded.
Thank you for stating that Cheetah’s Rock provides an authentic experience for all animal lovers.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had many friends visit Zanzibar and recommended Cheetah's rock to us. We are both animal lovers and enjoyed a safari in south Africa previously. But Jenny, her son and team are a fantastic example of passion for conservation and animal welfare. There were very educational about their animals and the work they are doing in Cheetah's rock.

It certainly isn't cheap but I felt our money was going to a good cause.
It is very important to pre book as it is extremely sought after and their days are limited for the sake of the animals.
It certainly isn't like a zoo. You get hands on (safe) experience with some of the animals. Where else can you see a lion cub, pet a tiger and have a photo while stroking a cheetah. At no point did I worry for our safety as Jenny as a full team of staff that are their to protect use and the animals at all times.

Ethically I came away from Cheetah's rock with a positive experience knowing that I had learnt a lot about the animals and their care. But also that it is been carried out with the best interest of the animals firstly.

Thank you to Jenny for all her very hard work and taking on such a massive responsibility for the care of her many animals. I wish you every success on the expanding premisses and your on going work!

2  Thank Roisin T

Dear Roisin,

It is great you enjoyed your visit of Cheetah’s Rock so much.
It warms my heart always to read when dear guests like you appreciate also what we tell you about animal welfare and wildlife conservation while you meet and interact with our rescued wild animals.
Indeed, our work for the animals limits the days on which we can offer the tour to guests.
You are right, booking your visit well in advance on the tour days of Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday ensures that you will not be disappointed by a booked out tour. For the sake of our guests’ personalized experience, we have to limit the tour size at a maximum of 37 guests.
It is so good to read that you felt ethically comfortable in visiting Cheetah’s Rock.
Thank you for your welcome praise and your good wishes for our project.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great visit in this animal sanctuary.
They basically rescue animals with sad stories, heal and take care of them.
It's really sad to hear these animal's stories (mostly because of humans) but on the other side it's a good way to become more sensitive about this matter and be aware of gow you can actively stop these illegal animal's trade.
Absolutely worth a visit.

Suggestion: pay in USD - we paid with the local currency and our price was almost 40% higher than in USD (they said because of currency exchange rate -?-).
I'm happy to give money to these animals but this was a bit too much, sounded to me like a cheat.

1  Thank Marta M
Jenny A, Inhaber at Cheetah's Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Marta,

Thank you for your recommendation to visit Cheetah's Rock.
It is great you found us a nice place for our rescued wild animals.

Regarding the conversion of US Dollars into the local currency Tanzanian Shillings:

We are always very transparent about the exchange rates!
We have to use the rate for BUYING US Dollars, not considering how much a money trader would give you for your US Dollars in local currency.
We use the conversion rate posted on a reputable website (oanda).
At the day of your visit Ennio asked you for 362000 TZS to buy USD 160, the amount of your fee including your transport per person.
We even have to give our bank TZS 373.917 TZS to get 160 USD as they charge us 3 % for their service on top. This 3 % we did not even ask you to pay for.
On the other hand, a money trader would give you only TZS 348,000 or less for USD 160 (also here he will charge 3 % on top,of the sell dollar rate.)
The difference is how money traders make money.
As you can see, there is a huge difference in buying dollars (what we have to do) and selling dollars (if you as a tourist want to get local money for your dollars.)
Please check the buy dollar rate on oanda (as I do it every day before the tour) and send us an email if, for one reason or another, we may have made a mistake in our calculation in your case.
If you were charged accidentially more than this amount in the local currency, we'll gladly refund you the difference.
We have no interest in making money off converting money.
This we offer as a courtesy service only to our guests instead of insisting on USD only.

Kindest regards

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What an educational, informative and memorable day! Jenny and Enio are so passionate about each and every one of the animals at Cheetah's Rock and I loved hearing the (often very sad) background of how the animals came to be in their care.
I was very nervous during one part of the tour due to a previous negative experience years ago on holiday in Kenya, but one of the very kind and understanding staff members guided me to the best location to view as opposed to interact with those particular animals.
Unfortunately for Jenny she is unable to do a personality screening of guests before they arrive, something I think could have been very useful during our tour! Some members of the group had absolutely no manners and were extremely rude, talking over Jenny and Enio non-stop. They also bizarrely decided to leave the group during the important information about the striped hyena - it seems they were only interested in the animals that would generate a lot of likes on Facebook and Instagram once they uploaded their photos.
Another sour note, again completely out of Jenny's control, was the fact that a large number of people turned up very late after deciding to book their own transport, which seemed an odd decision considering transport was included in the entry price. Arriving late disrupted the rest of the group and Cheka the lovely zebra was visibly distressed.
Those who question the entrance fee need to consider the background work that goes into Cheetah's Rock; the construction of the site, the 24/7 security, rescuing then transporting the animals to Zanzibar, the medical and vet fees, and of course the amount of food that the animals eat!
I learnt an awful lot at Cheetah's Rock and would recommend it to any animal lovers visiting Zanzibar. Jenny, Enio, Luke and everyone else at Cheetah's Rock are doing an incredible thing for these animals, and I will certainly remember my experience for a very long time to come.
Nerys x

1  Thank nch92

Dear Nerys,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review about your memorable day at Cheetah’s Rock.
I am happy you enjoyed both meeting our rescued wild animals and learning more about wildlife conservation and animal welfare, both here at Cheetah’s Rock, and what is needed world wide.
Yes, I have passed on your warm praise to my son Ennio, my assistant Luke, and all my other staff. They are happy always to get positive feedback from guests for the work they do for all the wild animals here at Cheetah’s Rock.
Indeed, sometimes, some guests don’t behave in an ideal way. However, as you noticed on the tour, at a minimum, I demand always that all guests show respect for the animals. If they elect not wanting to meet certain dear creatures here, it is their loss, I feel.
It was great to have you as our guest.
Please keep your positive memories of Cheetah’s Rock for a long time.