“Family fun'tastic'”
Review of Geelbek

Geelbek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Informal easy going meals for families in the West Coast National Park, Langebaan. Play area for children in nature, bird hides close by.
Reviewed 4 December 2019 via mobile

Amazing experience for the whole familie. Kids loved the play area. Food was beyond delicious and served exquisitely. Atmosphere welcoming to everyone. Best experience in the west coast.

Date of visit: December 2019

Reviewed 25 November 2019

We should have smelt a rat when we tried to book in advance, left our number, and the restaurant called back to ask if we were either a chef or a waiter looking for work. Needless to say we went anyway. The old house is certainly an impressive example of an old Cape farmstead, but the upkeep for heritage building is not so impressive. The restaurant itself is awful. From the plastic tablecloths, to the big screen TV and an outside area so tacky it belongs in a scene from Pulp Fiction. The price of the full meals was ridiculously over the top, and I have read the the owner trying to justify this most ineffectively in the reviews. My son ordered a hot dog, and when a cheese griller (yuk) arrived instead, the waitress shook her shoulders and said 'doesn't he like cheese grillers''and didn't offer to replace it or refund it. The other two boys ate their I&J fish fingers and chicken nuggets, whilst I munched through my measly mussels which cost about R160. My mother said her R170 Bobotie was ok. Having had experience in both the restaurant trade and working in the bush, this was a pretty poor effort. It should be a case study in complacency of being in a beautiful location and having a captured market. I look forward to Rassie replying to this and justifying our putrid experience, with claims that the price of meals is line with what is available on the West Coast, and that the beautiful location ( and plastic tablecloths, big screen TV and auction house furniture) justify the privilege of dining here. SANP need to look at this lease as they would be better off not having in in terms of the damage it does to SA as a tourist destination. Never again.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank charlesbB1996AW
Rassie E, Owner at Geelbek, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2019

Wow what an effort to badmouth a restaurant with bush and restaurant background. I was not expecting such a high profile individual with extended interior design skills. Pity you don’t find our rustic but comfortable feel appealing like the rest of our visitors and I must thank you for your positive feedback to promote the experience to the world. I would like to elaborate thurther but unfortunately I am busy looking after my customers that is here for the right reasons and lastly sorry to hear about your terrible experience and I do take your input at heart and wish you a save onward journey.

Reviewed 20 November 2019 via mobile

Apart from loosing it’s former ambience looking in need of tender loving care the prizes are totally overboard...prizes you would expect at a gourmet restaurant and not at a tatty eatery, because it does not even warrant the name restaurant. Taking tourists for a ride.

Date of visit: November 2019
1  Thank Henning V
Rassie E, Owner at Geelbek, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2019

I’m sorry to hear about your experience, our pricing are well placed in the market making us the 5th affordable restaurant in the West coast. Should you visit us again pls ask for the owner to assist you with discount in order to make it even more affordable for you. Thank you for your remarks we do take everyone’s experience to heart and strive to accommodate all our visitors.

Reviewed 25 October 2019

For the West Coast National Park the Geelbek Restaurant was a surprise and a pleasure to visit. Sitting outside under the cape weaver nests with our birding guide we sat down to a delicious quiche with a side dish of pumpkin pie which did not disappoint.
Enjoyable lunch experience.

Date of visit: October 2019
2  Thank shark939
Reviewed 16 October 2019 via mobile

Very tasty meal with a full plate. Pleasant helpful staff good service and a really Expensive meal. Cheaper to go into Langbaan to one of the many eating places.

Date of visit: September 2019

Been to Geelbek? Share your experiences!