Maralal Safari Lodge
Sunbird Lodge(Maralal)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 June 2015 via mobile

This is an amazing retreat. Old British colonial style. Very reasonable rates starting from 5000KES per room per night. About 6hrs drive from Nairobi. There are many zebras directly at the restaurant. Free WiFi.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex H
Humperdinck_Jackman, Owner at Maralal Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2015

Thank you for the great review and we look forward to your return ... whether you will be camping or taking a room. Humperdinck

Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

Since paying 800$ for a 4day 'budget'-safari was not an option for us, we started exploring Kenya on our own. And this is how we found this amazing place. Camp (incl hot shower and wifi!) or take a nice cottage at VERY reasonable prices, find yourself in the middle of this National Reserve (no 80$/d National Park, it's FREE!) surrounded by zebra's, impala's, waterbucks, monkeys, warthogs etc, enjoy delicious food on the terrace, grab a few beers at the fireplace and appreciate the nature in silence... Because this place is still a secret to be revealed. The reason for this is that Jack, the man who left the UK for a better life creating a safe (poach-free) environment where these beautiful animals can roam without worrying, has just started this up. So yes, there are a few things that need to be straightened out (and they will be), but everybody there made our stay unforgettable and we won't forget. Jack, we wish you all the best and hope that many others will come to enjoy this amazing piece of beautiful Africa - as it should be.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dimivh
Humperdinck_Jackman, Owner at Maralal Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2015

It was our great pleasure to have you visit, and both myself and the staff are so very grateful for your wonderful review.

I'd really appreciate an email with your suggestions as to what would be your priorities to make the camping better. Our immediate goals include more levelled camping areas, electrical points and a camper's sheltered cooking / BBQ area ... there's lot's to do and there's no shortage of ideas!

Best wishes,

Humperdinck 'Jack' Jackman

Reviewed 17 May 2015

My boyfriend and I came here for the weekend to relax and enjoy the wildlife. The staff were very hospitable and flexible with us. The facilities are the best I have experienced in Kenya so far! We came in the cold season, so they lit a fire in our rooms ever night, the restaurant was available at great hours, and the food was incredible. There is also more than enough wildlife to see everyday! The Zebras, warthogs, antelope, impala are grazing right next to the restaurant while you enjoy your lunch.
I highly recommend this place if your looking for a nice, luxurious get away!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank anni g
Humperdinck_Jackman, Owner at Maralal Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2015

Thank you for your wonderful review, and we thank you for visiting - it was a pleasure to become acquainted and we wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 28 April 2015

I highly recommend the Maralal Safari Lodge for anyone looking for a peaceful retreat, a place to read or write, a gathering place for a group of friends, or a resting place for people spending time in Samburu after work or play. The setting is beautiful - with wildlife coming to drink from the pond. The staff are so friendly, helpful and accommodating! We felt like family. They have great food, a fully stocked bar, comfortable beds, and small verandas off each cottage for wildlife viewing and enjoying the morning sunrise. The prices are so reasonable, I plan to return for two weeks later this year - and use it as a base for visiting people in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Anita L

Hi Anita - it was so lovely to meet you, and I look forward to your return. The improvements are continuing and you will be pleased to know that we have installed satellite based wifi and a huge television so you will be better able to keep in contact with the outside world.

Regards,

Humperdinck ('Jack')

Reviewed 20 April 2015 via mobile

This place is amazing, I can totally recommend it!
Having read that LP says this place is about to fall apart, I still dared to try and see it myself. I only came there for a day trip as I read that the terrace of Safari Lodge is the best spot to view the wildlife living within the Maralal National Sanctuary. When coming from town my hopes were low and even when I entered the compound of the lodge, it was still a dusty, long walk and I had almost given up until...there it was! I was welcomed heartily, took a seat on the terrace and ordered a soda while I was not disappointed by the amazing wildlife that was grazing and drinking here so close! Later I got to know the owner of the place - Jack, a lovely man from the UK who had taken over the worn out lodge at the end of last year. He came here to take care of the wildlife as he clearly has a big heart for the animals. The greatest part was when I got to see the cheetahs which had just arrived a few days ago. They are both wild, though one is a little bit tamer, and have both undergone abuse and struggles. They are now being taken care of by Jack's family and the staff. If you think you are brave enough and ask politely, Jack might even ask you to enter the cage and have a cuddle with the female one (they will just request a small contribution towards the goat they are feeding them every day - which I think is fair enough given that they have to come up for all the food by themselves).
The rattling matatu ride to Maralal has definitely paid off for me thanks to those hearty people!
They've also renovated everything, the bar offers a variety of drinks, and the cottages look pretty good and are good value I think. They also offer camping for 500Kshs and a dormitory is in the process.
So, don't just rely on your travel guide - go and check this place out yourself and I ensure you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2015