All reviews unique hotel new york cool hotel fun hotel moving image northern blvd industrial look subway entrance hotel restaurant average hotel bagels laguardia airport street noise industrial area nyc area few blocks coffee machine
Reviewed 29 March 2018

A very good and beautiful place to stay, just outside of busy Manhattan, metro station in front of the door. We loved our stay here. Beautiful room with great bed and a very nice breakfast. The interior of the hotel is great and the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marcel B
miguelamadera, Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Marcel
Thank you for these kind words and We will make sure to share those with our team.
Hopefully, we will see you again for another NYC adventure!

Warmest regards,
PF team

Reviewed 26 March 2018

My girlfriend and I had a nice time staying here. The place is quiet and bit and a bit secluded from everything else but the bars are close enough to walk to if you want that kind of scene. The hotel itself is a bit of a museum itself and we had a nice time just walking around the lobby looking at the mini art installations. The room itself was bit bare and boring but not the worst. Overall, the price we paid for single queen room was more than worth our stay. We would definitely think about coming back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dudewithshirt

Dear guest,

Thank you for your time and experience described in this review. We are happy you enjoyed your time here and our lobby areas. We certainly hope you will visit us for our future events and new promotions.
Please allow our front desk team to assist with the best room type whenever booking a room with us. As we are a boutique property, not every room has a same layout and if you allow, we can help you choosing the best one for you, by giving you the tour and showing more options.

Warm regards,
PF team

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I almost don’t want to write this review because I want it to always be easy to book a room in this hotel! Located in the awesome neighborhood of Astoria, Queens, NY and right off of a major subway line into Manhattan (20 minutes to Times Square on the M/R), TPF is a very clean, safe hotel packed with amenities, food delivery and places closeby like laundromats, restaurants, stores, etc. that you may need for that last minute affordable bottle of water or pack of gum for your trip into Manhattan . Although there are awesome attractions closeby within walking distance that you can visit (Museum of Moving Image), you can also get into the city cheaply and easily. The hotel restaurant is very good. It is not open between noon and 5pm, however there is a small sandwich and drink bar in the lobby available for last minute snacks. The hotel is fairly quiet and super cool. I had my 2 year old with me and I found it was very welcoming and she had a lot to look at, not much to break. She did bang her head on the metal of one of the lobby tables and smashed her finger running and falling in the lobby. However, overall, I found it was pretty safe and fun for her. They have little cars in the front desk area she really loved. The rooms are nice and big enough to move around. However they don’t have refrigerators and you have to remember to bring your towel into the shower bc it is a separate room with a door. My toddler had to stand on a towel to take a safe shower safely and it does get slippery. I didn’t try any room service, but housekeeping was very good. I don’t know what the $20 resort fee is for, bc I didn’t have a car and there is nothing that special about the hotel that would make it a resort (like massages, steam rooms, manicures, etc). It was a very cool version like a Marriot or something. The front desk was helpful and friendly and we had a wonderful time here. Rate was reasonable besides the $20 day resort fee. Definitely book a room here if you visit NYC!

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived here after driving from Philly through storm Toby, so it was snowing pretty hard when we pulled up. The hotel doesn’t have parking, but we found a great spot that was unrestricted from 1pm, outside the front door. What a great and funky hotel, from the assorted ecclectic objects d’art around the lobby, like the pedal cars, vesper scooter, London phone booths, contemporary art all around. Plenty of well heated loungerooms to sit out the snowstorm and read, or play air hockey, board games. Table tennis, etc. friendly staff. Great Lobby Cafe, we had lunch in. Didn’t get to try the restaurant as wanted to try a nearby Mexican restaurant, Tacuba that had great reviews, which was 2 blocks away, opposite the museum of the moving image. Interesting neighbourhood, light industrial. Car dealers and car washes, merging into residential. It probably would have been quiet at night, but due to the weather, I heard the snow ploughs scraping all night. The building is in a former paper factory and has the post modern industrial look and vibe, polished concrete floors that were surprisingly NOT cold. The rooms were huge. We had a large room, large enough to open 3 suitacses(we travel light ) and still walk around the bed. Huge bathroom...I reckon the shower recess was 3 times the average hotel shower size. I used the gym. This one had windows ( increasingly rare in hotel gyms) and good new equipment, not just the cardio machines, but hand weights, a good cable machine and a selection of bands, medicine balls, pull up bars, TRX, mats, etc..impressive. It was pretty much opposite a metro station, as well as a corner deli and nearby a cof feed cafe/bar. If it wasn’t snowing, I understand the excellent Greek restaurants of Astoria are an easy walk. We chose it, as we were en route to JFK and even in the snow, the drive was less than 30 mins at 7am. If you’re looking for a great hotel, not in Manhattan and don’t mind catching the metro in, this is excellent.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank em_be53
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Long Island City is equidistant from my parents' and my partner's parents' home. We chose the Paper Factory because it looked gorgeous and the price was right (Hotel Tonight). We were not disappointed with the decor - perhaps someone from the burgeoning movie industry nearby moonlighted as the set decorator? Also, the desk staff was delightful.

The room itself was beautifully appointed, and felt spacious and welcoming, despite the industrial origins.

Three complaints:

1) BEWARE THE SNEAKY RESORT CHARGE. Yeah, the price was right, but be prepared to pay an additional $23 per day for the privilege of using the lobby, the fitness room and patronizing the hotel restaurant (whose bar was closed most of the nights we stayed);

2) The bed was super hard. Now I like a firm bed, but this one was uncomfortable to sleep in. Wish I'd heeded one of the reviews I saw about this before.

3) Finding several detectives with guns drawn outside another guest's room down the hallway and near the elevator was unsettling. Seems like all was resolved peacefully. I hope that guy Chris was ok. Didn't hear any shots fired....

I would consider returning if I had enough $$$ not to care about hidden fees, to stay in one of the larger rooms, and to find a bed that works for side-sleepers like me.

Kudos to those who decorated this place. I would mos def host a family party there....

Room Tip: Get the large rooms behind the elevators - they look swank!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family