All reviewsunique hotelnew yorkcool hotelfun hotelmoving imagenorthern blvdindustrial looksubway entrancehotel restaurantaverage hotelbagelslaguardia airportstreet noiseindustrial areanyc areafew blockscoffee machine
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived here after driving from Philly through storm Toby, so it was snowing pretty hard when we pulled up. The hotel doesn’t have parking, but we found a great spot that was unrestricted from 1pm, outside the front door. What a great and funky hotel, from the assorted ecclectic objects d’art around the lobby, like the pedal cars, vesper scooter, London phone booths, contemporary art all around. Plenty of well heated loungerooms to sit out the snowstorm and read, or play air hockey, board games. Table tennis, etc. friendly staff. Great Lobby Cafe, we had lunch in. Didn’t get to try the restaurant as wanted to try a nearby Mexican restaurant, Tacuba that had great reviews, which was 2 blocks away, opposite the museum of the moving image. Interesting neighbourhood, light industrial. Car dealers and car washes, merging into residential. It probably would have been quiet at night, but due to the weather, I heard the snow ploughs scraping all night. The building is in a former paper factory and has the post modern industrial look and vibe, polished concrete floors that were surprisingly NOT cold. The rooms were huge. We had a large room, large enough to open 3 suitacses(we travel light ) and still walk around the bed. Huge bathroom...I reckon the shower recess was 3 times the average hotel shower size. I used the gym. This one had windows ( increasingly rare in hotel gyms) and good new equipment, not just the cardio machines, but hand weights, a good cable machine and a selection of bands, medicine balls, pull up bars, TRX, mats, etc..impressive. It was pretty much opposite a metro station, as well as a corner deli and nearby a cof feed cafe/bar. If it wasn’t snowing, I understand the excellent Greek restaurants of Astoria are an easy walk. We chose it, as we were en route to JFK and even in the snow, the drive was less than 30 mins at 7am. If you’re looking for a great hotel, not in Manhattan and don’t mind catching the metro in, this is excellent.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank em_be53
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Long Island City is equidistant from my parents' and my partner's parents' home. We chose the Paper Factory because it looked gorgeous and the price was right (Hotel Tonight). We were not disappointed with the decor - perhaps someone from the burgeoning movie industry nearby moonlighted as the set decorator? Also, the desk staff was delightful.

The room itself was beautifully appointed, and felt spacious and welcoming, despite the industrial origins.

Three complaints:

1) BEWARE THE SNEAKY RESORT CHARGE. Yeah, the price was right, but be prepared to pay an additional $23 per day for the privilege of using the lobby, the fitness room and patronizing the hotel restaurant (whose bar was closed most of the nights we stayed);

2) The bed was super hard. Now I like a firm bed, but this one was uncomfortable to sleep in. Wish I'd heeded one of the reviews I saw about this before.

3) Finding several detectives with guns drawn outside another guest's room down the hallway and near the elevator was unsettling. Seems like all was resolved peacefully. I hope that guy Chris was ok. Didn't hear any shots fired....

I would consider returning if I had enough $$$ not to care about hidden fees, to stay in one of the larger rooms, and to find a bed that works for side-sleepers like me.

Kudos to those who decorated this place. I would mos def host a family party there....

Room Tip: Get the large rooms behind the elevators - they look swank!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Nina H
Reviewed 21 March 2018

My wife and I stayed in a queen size room. The bed was firm. The room was very clean and the staff was knowledgeable of the area. They were very pleasant to deal with. There's no parking but two trips around the block and we found a good spot. (Make sure you read the parking signs) This is one of the coolest places I have stayed at. The unique style in the decor is awesome. Nothing boring. It made me feel like I was in a castle/old factory. We go to the Queens every few months and with the very reasonable rates, we will stay here a lot more.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

An old factory turned into a hotel, with a lot of taste and space. We felt immediately at ease. The rooms are clean and spacious. The metro is not far away and the neighborhood is nice.
The breakfast was delicious.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank staywild
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed five nights. Every was as good as described and as expected. We were having a NYC trip and also meeting up with our son who lives in Astoria, Queens. This was a perfect stay especially given the subway is straight across from front door. We also used Uber services which were great. The main thing I loved about this hotel was that I felt so part of the borough, it was unique, authentically returned and nothing about it felt like you were staying in Hotel chain.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple