Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Port St Johns
See available hotels
Hole in the Wall(Coffee Bay)
Mayfair Hotel(Mthatha)
View Hotel
uMhlanga Sands Resort(Umhlanga Rocks)
  • Pool
Reviews (1 109)
1 109 results
All reviewssunset cruisefamily holidaywild coastseafood buffetoutdoor showerfish eaglesdining roomriver bungalowscreative cornerkids activitiesout of this worldwine listsea facingour honeymoonwhole familyyoung childrensaturday night
54 - 59 of 1 109 reviews
Reviewed 19 February 2018

My husband and I had an amazing three night stay at this beautiful place. We staying in number 34. It was clean, neat and was beautifully and modernly decorated, with a king bed, ceiling fan, bath and outdoor shower which was quite fun. The location is stunning. The food was great and I was especially impressed with their range of vegetarian options. Meals can be enjoyed inside at set tables or outside under the trees (decorated with fairy lights). There is a big clean pool to swim in. We enjoyed their boat rides and the many Kingfishers along the river banks and the Fish Eagle! The spa was also a major highlight. We enjoyed a couples massage (one of the best we've ever had!) which ended with a spa bath enjoyed in the privacy of your own little bungalow overlooking the sea - A truly special experience. The staff were all super friendly and helpful. Definitely worth saving up for.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GeneralManager81, General Manager at Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review following your recent stay with us. It was so pleasing to read how much you had enjoyed your stay with us and the many facilities and activities on offer. I was happy to, to read how much you had enjoyed the food and importantly the variety of choices to meet the many tastes and dietary reqyuirements.

I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Adult only bungalows at river mouth are beautiful. Breakfast in adjacent shared restaurant a bit hit and miss and never on time. Beach walk stunning. More food than you can eat. Although this is a family resort it caters well for adults only with plenty of kid free areas. We plan to return! Unspoilt Wild Coast.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about your recent stay here at Umngazi. Your comments about the diningroom at Emlonyeni have been noted and addressed, thank you for letting me know. It was great to read that you will be returning, we look forward to wecloming you back.

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Probably one of the most beautiful places I have been south of Durban. The setting can not be better - right on the river mouth with the most beautiful beach beyond. A 40hp boat transfers guest across the river mouth to the beach. The beach is spotless clean and mostly you only have some cattle as company. Accommodation is excellent, clean, spacious and serviced daily. The best feature is probably the outside shower! Nothing gets close to an outside shower on a misty, rainy day! Meals served by the friendly staff is a highlight. Great effort is put in providing variety with the soup being out of this world. Saturdays are seafood night and not to be missed. After having spent a week here and not being able to find fault with anything, but rather being more impressed day on day, the following needs to be mentioned:
- The trip from Durban is s-l-o-w - in excess of 5 hours - plan for it and do not exceed 60kph.
- Small children at the pool and during meals are at times irritating - mostly due to inconsiderate parents.
- Hauling your baggage to and from your bungalow is not pleasant as help is not readily available.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager81, General Manager at Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review it was great to read how much you had enjoyed your recent stay with us.I have also noted the feedback given and will discuss with the team accordingly.

We thank you for the support and hope that we get to welcome you back to Umngazi again soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We are two Canadians who travel every year and always finish with a week of relaxing by the ocean somewhere. This year our trip was South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. We finished the five weeks at Umngazi with a 5 day stay.
We arrived early evening and we were rushed to the dining room to eat "while they were still serving" the meal was not a nice experience. While I am diary free and my travel companion is a vegetarian we were troubled that we could not discuss the menu with anyone - the dining room staff could not communicate well enough in english to reassure me of the diary content of anything and certainly could not say if the soup base was a meat base etc. So we ate from the salad bar for three days, which is delicious and fresh and satisfying, but for two meals a day for three days - it is not what we expected. Then a management person addressed us at dinner of the third day - I explained that she is the very first person to talk to us and I immediately asked her if I could eat that delicious looking creamy shrimp cocktail? She confirmed that it was a mayo base and I was good to go - PHEW! She directed us to a dining room head person who helped us the remaining two days. Too little - too late. Besides our problems with the menu, the staff will never ask if they can help you - I always, every meal, got up to get my own wine list and crossed the room to a server and pointed to the desired wine on the page. The remaining of the meal went as such. More than once my dinner plate was removed by a server mid dinner. Terrible.
Now the great part of the resort is the geography - just beautiful. We woke up to the most amazing view of the ocean and river mouth right in front of us. Of course this view came with a price. Our accommodations were very high up on a steep hill and my companion could not walk up the hill. The resort did offer a ride up the hill to a small path near the rooms but this did require some organizing and planning. Sometimes taking 45 minutes to arrange.
Now most of the staff were more than pleasant and smiling and certainly tried to understand and help us. Ordering a bottle of wine took me almost an hour once before the right one arrived! Not a big deal - we are on holidays.
Umngazi is geared at activities - I'm sure it is great for the treks and hikes etc. after all it is the wild coast. Sing alongs - NOT FOR US.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GeneralManager81, General Manager at Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that you had difficulty in communicating in English with the diningroom team, this is not normally a problem but they would have certainly been able to call the chef or another manager on duty if you had requested. Looking at the menus during your stay we do a vegetarian dish every meal as well many of the meat dishes were grilled so I do not quite understand why salad would have been your only to choice? I have addressed the team though on this so that guests with dietary requirements do not experience this again, my apologies. I have as well addressed the diningroom team as well about the lack of speed in offering of drinks as well as the winelist, not acceptable that you had to get your own and wait as long as you did.

I hope the rest of your trip went well.

Reviewed 2 February 2018

It would have been better though if there were TVs in rooms, best service from all staff members and delicious meals,captivating environment indeed.Even though I had missed it visiting the cellar in the basement because no one informed us about it during our stay,hopefully, I will get to see it on my next trip.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review I was happy to read how much you had enjoyed your stay with us, sorry to see that you had missed on our cellar it is well worth visiting. I do hope we will get to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes,