Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
N`taba River Lodge cc(Port St Johns)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
iNtaba River Lodge(Port St Johns)
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Umzimvubu Retreat(Port St Johns)
TripAdvisor
The Lodge on the Beach(Port St Johns)
Reviews (1 109)
1 109 results
All reviewssunset cruisefamily holidaywild coastseafood buffetoutdoor showerfish eaglesdining roomriver bungalowscreative cornerkids activitiesout of this worldwine listsea facingour honeymoonwhole familyyoung childrensaturday night
56 - 61 of 1 109 reviews
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Probably one of the most beautiful places I have been south of Durban. The setting can not be better - right on the river mouth with the most beautiful beach beyond. A 40hp boat transfers guest across the river mouth to the beach. The beach is spotless clean and mostly you only have some cattle as company. Accommodation is excellent, clean, spacious and serviced daily. The best feature is probably the outside shower! Nothing gets close to an outside shower on a misty, rainy day! Meals served by the friendly staff is a highlight. Great effort is put in providing variety with the soup being out of this world. Saturdays are seafood night and not to be missed. After having spent a week here and not being able to find fault with anything, but rather being more impressed day on day, the following needs to be mentioned:
- The trip from Durban is s-l-o-w - in excess of 5 hours - plan for it and do not exceed 60kph.
- Small children at the pool and during meals are at times irritating - mostly due to inconsiderate parents.
- Hauling your baggage to and from your bungalow is not pleasant as help is not readily available.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager81, General Manager at Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review it was great to read how much you had enjoyed your recent stay with us.I have also noted the feedback given and will discuss with the team accordingly.

We thank you for the support and hope that we get to welcome you back to Umngazi again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We are two Canadians who travel every year and always finish with a week of relaxing by the ocean somewhere. This year our trip was South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. We finished the five weeks at Umngazi with a 5 day stay.
We arrived early evening and we were rushed to the dining room to eat "while they were still serving" the meal was not a nice experience. While I am diary free and my travel companion is a vegetarian we were troubled that we could not discuss the menu with anyone - the dining room staff could not communicate well enough in english to reassure me of the diary content of anything and certainly could not say if the soup base was a meat base etc. So we ate from the salad bar for three days, which is delicious and fresh and satisfying, but for two meals a day for three days - it is not what we expected. Then a management person addressed us at dinner of the third day - I explained that she is the very first person to talk to us and I immediately asked her if I could eat that delicious looking creamy shrimp cocktail? She confirmed that it was a mayo base and I was good to go - PHEW! She directed us to a dining room head person who helped us the remaining two days. Too little - too late. Besides our problems with the menu, the staff will never ask if they can help you - I always, every meal, got up to get my own wine list and crossed the room to a server and pointed to the desired wine on the page. The remaining of the meal went as such. More than once my dinner plate was removed by a server mid dinner. Terrible.
Now the great part of the resort is the geography - just beautiful. We woke up to the most amazing view of the ocean and river mouth right in front of us. Of course this view came with a price. Our accommodations were very high up on a steep hill and my companion could not walk up the hill. The resort did offer a ride up the hill to a small path near the rooms but this did require some organizing and planning. Sometimes taking 45 minutes to arrange.
Now most of the staff were more than pleasant and smiling and certainly tried to understand and help us. Ordering a bottle of wine took me almost an hour once before the right one arrived! Not a big deal - we are on holidays.
Umngazi is geared at activities - I'm sure it is great for the treks and hikes etc. after all it is the wild coast. Sing alongs - NOT FOR US.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GeneralManager81, General Manager at Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Dear Bob,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that you had difficulty in communicating in English with the diningroom team, this is not normally a problem but they would have certainly been able to call the chef or another manager on duty if you had requested. Looking at the menus during your stay we do a vegetarian dish every meal as well many of the meat dishes were grilled so I do not quite understand why salad would have been your only to choice? I have addressed the team though on this so that guests with dietary requirements do not experience this again, my apologies. I have as well addressed the diningroom team as well about the lack of speed in offering of drinks as well as the winelist, not acceptable that you had to get your own and wait as long as you did.

I hope the rest of your trip went well.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2018

It would have been better though if there were TVs in rooms, best service from all staff members and delicious meals,captivating environment indeed.Even though I had missed it visiting the cellar in the basement because no one informed us about it during our stay,hopefully, I will get to see it on my next trip.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review I was happy to read how much you had enjoyed your stay with us, sorry to see that you had missed on our cellar it is well worth visiting. I do hope we will get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

From the time that we arrived in this exquisite coastal resort, to the leaving, we were treated in the true friendly, hospitable and professional manner renowned with the Pondoland People. Having travelled extensively throughout the old Transkei, part of my "bucket list" was a visit to Umngazi River Bungallows. The 8 Days spent was unbelievable so much so, that I will be spending a special birthday there with my Family and to have my wife say "it was the best holiday I have ever have had in South Africa" was the cherry on the top. The only downfall was the surplus amount of excellent food. This reminded us of being on a Cruise Liner where 5 meals were served per day. Highly recommended but just not when I am celebrating my weeks birthday,

Stayed: January 2018

Dear Umngazi Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review, I was so happy to read that your stay with us had met with all your expectations and that everything had been just as it should have been, I will obviously share this with the Team as a job welldone!

Thank you so much for the support and hope we do get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

Stayed here as part of our tour of the wild coast in January 2018. The resort is in a beautiful location and well maintained. Everyone we meet speaks highly of this place, it is the jewel of the wild coast.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Kevin,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. Great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we didnt let down our many fans:) Thank you so much for the support and I hope we get to welcome you back again.