Probably one of the most beautiful places I have been south of Durban. The setting can not be better - right on the river mouth with the most beautiful beach beyond. A 40hp boat transfers guest across the river mouth to the beach. The beach is spotless clean and mostly you only have some cattle as company. Accommodation is excellent, clean, spacious and serviced daily. The best feature is probably the outside shower! Nothing gets close to an outside shower on a misty, rainy day! Meals served by the friendly staff is a highlight. Great effort is put in providing variety with the soup being out of this world. Saturdays are seafood night and not to be missed. After having spent a week here and not being able to find fault with anything, but rather being more impressed day on day, the following needs to be mentioned:
- The trip from Durban is s-l-o-w - in excess of 5 hours - plan for it and do not exceed 60kph.
- Small children at the pool and during meals are at times irritating - mostly due to inconsiderate parents.
- Hauling your baggage to and from your bungalow is not pleasant as help is not readily available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the Wild Coast, in the heart of Pondoland, and encompassed by a rocky coastline, indigenous forests, secluded coves and breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean, lies the award winning Umngazi River Bungalows & Spa - an award winning family resort & spa. The thatch-roofed bungalows are situated amongst the indigenous gardens which provide the perfect setting for a totally relaxed holiday. Weekly fly-in packages are available Friday to Friday from Durban where you fly at 500 feet above sea level along the beautiful coastline - a wonderful way to start your holiday. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Umngazi River Bungalows Hotel Port St Johns
- Umngazi River Hotel
- Umngazi River Resort