Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews off grid meals prepared whale watching wild coast natural beauty dillon dylan whales dorm backpackers guests comfort camping paradise
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 January 2021 via mobile

I was looking for a total breakaway from the humdrum of life in the city (I stay in Cape Town, South Africa) and was fortunate enough to find this amazing spot on the beautiful Transkei coast. The location is amazing and I immediate fell in love with the wild coast way of life. The Kraal was the ultimate way to experience the rural beauty of the Kei without sacrificing creature comforts like clean ablutions, warm beds and hot meals prepared by my lovely host Sam. She made my stay super comfortable, made sure I was well fed and showed me some amazing spots to snorkel and chill out. Really went beyond the substantial duties of running the beach resort and made me feel very welcome. The food was delicious and well priced, the beers were cold and the darts games were highly competitive! I’d recommend The Kraal to anyone (and have told all my friends about it already!). Ten out of ten!

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2021

This is the Wild Coast -- it's deeply rural, frontier living -- there are no malls, restaurants or fancy hotels -- just mind-blowing, natural beauty and amazingly welcoming locals. So, discovering the Kraal in this rugged region is like stumbling into an oasis. Rustic, yet eminently comfortable. The manager, Sam, is uber friendly and incredibly resourceful. From arranging hikes or canoe trips to serving up sumptuous seafood platters, she's a star. She even lays on daily dolphin sightings while sipping coffee at sunrise :).
Don't expect a city-style, five-star experience. Come prepared to rough it. With this open mind, I rate my stay at The Kraal 11/10. My best holiday ever! Thank you Sam, Olwethu and the general magnificence of this little treasure cove!

Room tip: Choose one of the double rooms or a twin room
Date of stay: December 2020
Reviewed 20 January 2021 via mobile

Worthwhile if camping or in the dorm rooms perhaps but we booked Eagles Nest at R770 per night for two and were sorely disappointed.

The room has no view as advertised and is certainly not private as advertised as access to the room next door is by walking directly past the front windows and the curtains don’t cover the windows. Their is a slight view if you stand in-front of the unit next to the room next doors entrance but no seating at all outside the hut so really no view. Our door handle was broken and the jam jar of aloe leaves in the room was putrid and stank. We emptied them outside and left the jam jar outside the room which is where it stayed for the 2 days we were there. The Led light in the room was broken and no candles or solar lamp provided. Solar lights are put out at night to help you get to the toilets and shower but they were forgotten on our second night which was a pain. There was a single bottle of ‘sanitizer’ at the toilets but nothing else throughout.

The meal we had was nice but certainly not value (R160 frozen linefish (Rockcod - orange on SASSI list so not ideal for an eco spot) rice and salad and R140 for a vegetarian curry and rice) and was exactly the same on our second night so we cooked ourselves and were disappointed with the cleanliness of the shared kitchen and the equipment on offer. Half the pans on the shelf were rusted beyond belief and both sinks were full of dirty dishes. Guests obviously wash their own dishes at at a backpackers so it’s not the establishments fault but when the manager is sitting getting stoned rather than managing I think the blame can be shared.

Beers were for sale at a rip off R50 a can for castle light which was a nice touch to round out the stay.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2020

Stayed at the Kraal as part of a road trip down through the Wild Coast - what an amazing setting, saw dolphins and whales every day from the kitchen/bar area.

There is great hiking/trails along the coast from here, and the beach is seconds away and pristine, or just stay at the backpackers and relax with a sea view!

The backpackers is very basic, as you'd expect from an off-grid spot in the Wild Coast, but has everything you need, and the setting definitely makes a stay worth it.

Dillon is very knowledgeable about the area and a great help, while the local people are very friendly - ask anyone to help you source local crayfish!

Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 8 January 2020

thank you guys for making the end of the season special for us!! the venue, location and host was extremely hospitable, not to mention the delicious food thats locally sourced fresh every day. will definitely visit again soon!!

Room tip: perfect spot close to the beach and amazing view.
Date of stay: January 2020