Reviews (1 488)
1 488 results
All reviews generations restaurant mirror lake underground parking paddle boats attached restaurant main street in town steam room specialty room shops and restaurants indoor pool life jackets private beach frozen lake hotel restaurant hockey tournament beautiful view of the lake
7 - 12 of 1 488 reviews
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

I booked a room with 2 queens because a room with a king was unavailable. Upon check in, we were told that we had received a free upgrade with a fireplace. We hauled our luggage in and discovered we had 2 double beds. That's not an upgrade!!! Plus our room was on the bottom floor at the very end between 2 conference rooms. They gave away our room and gave us the "leftover" room with 2 double murphy beds that were falling apart. When I brought it up at checkout, they said, "we just thought you would like the upgrade with the fireplace." Downsizing our beds and putting us in the crappiest part of the hotel is not an upgrade. Don't continue to lie when confronted. You gave away our room! Plus the shower water sucked. There were two temperatures, ice cold and scalding hot. This hotel is very cut up too. Good luck finding the fitness room and when you finally do, it requires a separate key. We won't be back.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Jennifer H, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

chad306,
Thank you for your review. I am really sorry you did not enjoy the upgrade we gave to you. The room you booked on Expedia was a Deluxe Room with 2 queen size beds overlooking the lake view. I personally upgraded you to the Lakeside Specialty Room because I wanted to exceed your expectations. I was very surprised at check out when you told me you did not like the room. It has all of the amenities of the room you booked and has a fireplace, is nearly twice the size of a standard room, has an extra sitting area and has a beautiful walkout to the lakefront. In the decades I have spent at the Golden Arrow, I honestly have never had anyone be angry at me for trying to give them more than they booked.

I do hope you enjoyed Lake Placid and find another property that is more to your liking in the future.

Jenn Holderied
GM

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

Very nice hotel with beautiful views of Lake Placid! Hotel has nice indoor pool, hot tubs, access to shopping, restaurant, fire pit with outside seating, night club, loft seating over beautiful lobby. Free use of tow boats & kayaks, garage parking with direct access to hotel.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Joell S, Marketing Strategist at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Thank you for the 5-star review DavCanRoss! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and the many amenities we have to offer. We hope to see you again soon for another great stay!

Reviewed 11 October 2018

The Golden Arrow is our regular-favorite place to stay when we travel to the Adirondacks. We've been there a few years in a row and we'll continue to stay there. The service is excellent by everyone that works there. The rooms are nice and cozy with an amazing view over Mirror Lake. The location is perfect in the middle of town and everything is within walking distance. Food and service at Generations restaurant is excellent. Everything on their menu is great. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Request a lake view room
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Joell S, Marketing Strategist at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Thank you for the 5-star review Sean! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and are repeat guests! We're glad you enjoyed your room and your time at Generations. We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 8 October 2018

We were in Lake Placid for a wedding held at this hotel, which was how we ended up staying there. Our arrival coincided with the vibrant colors of fall. This hotel is ideally located to enjoy the fall colors, having lakeside frontage with a view onto the hills.

Situated in the heart of Lake Placid Village, near the Olympic centre on Main street, this beautifully appointed hotel impresses from the very start, with its automatic-opening door and its double-storey lobby window that occupies almost the entire lake-facing wall. Handsome postcards are provided free-of-charge at the front desk and along the corridor where tourist information is provided. The lobby features a comfortable seating area overlooking the water, and another one facing a large fireplace. Just off the lobby up the stairs is a second seating area in a sort of balcony alcove that overlooks the lobby. This more intimate nook can be used for reading or for playing board games, which, according to a sign, can be obtained from the front desk.

The rooms are spacious, with comfortable beds and bedding and thick carpeting. The pillows are supportive, and two are provided for each guest. Bathrooms are large; ours had only a shower stall (some rooms also have a tub), but it was capacious. There were two hairdryers hanging from a hook on the door. A small fridge, microwave, and Keurig coffee machine are found in every room, and I believe all rooms also have a balcony. There was also a flat screen TV and free wi-fi, both of which worked well. Ice-making machines are available on all floors, as is elevator service and multiple stairwells.

The hotel has its own beach (I suspect they manufactured it themselves). The white sand is slightly coarse, but the beach is very attractive and clean, and there are a good number of paddle boards (at least 6, maybe 8), along with a few kayaks, canoes, and also a rowboat available to guests. They also have two hydro-bikes, much to my kids' delight -- a bicycle with twin plastic hulls like a catamaran instead of wheels. Paddles and life jackets are next to the beach.

The beach has a wooden deck from which intrepid swimmers can leap into the water. A roped-off swimming area keeps swimmers safe from boats, but note that there is no lifeguard. Also on the beach are wooden sun chairs, as well as stone seats around a raised fire pit. The roof of the boathouse offers seating and a fine view of the lake.

Inside the hotel, there is a large lovely swimming pool. Irregularly shaped, it nonetheless has sufficient length to swim a respectable lap. The deep end is 4.7 feet in depth. Water is cool and refreshing without being bone-numbing, and is not over-chlorinated (the air is not saturated with chlorine). There is a toddler pool attached to the main pool, but which thoughtfully has warmer water and a bar to discourage youngsters from entering the main pool. Immediately adjacent to the main pool is a small whirlpool with hot water and jets. Set back from the main pool is a larger whirlpool tub, also hot and with jets. The deck around the pool is attractively laid with large stone non-slip tiles, and furnished with wooden Adirondack chairs and side tables.

There is a large shower next to the pool area, along with a steam room (the door wouldn't close, so I couldn't try it), and a small sauna. Changing rooms feature a comfortable shower and changing stalls. Overall, this is one of the best pool areas I have seen in a hotel.

The hotel also features a good gym room that looks out onto the lake. Equipment includes a rowing machine, two spinning machines, three treadmills, and two step machines, along with a variety of weight machines and a rack of free weights, along with a racquetball court. There are yoga mats and an open area in which to deploy them. A large mirror with a barre invites barre work. There are TV's on the walls and the ceiling is equipped with fans. A nice touch is two dispensers of wipes for wiping down the equipment. Changing rooms are spacious and have showers and even a sauna. All in all, an excellent facility.

The hotel is sprawling, with separate wings that interconnect only through the lobby, so a map is provided with the room key; however, signs are clear and it is easy to find one's way. Conveniently, the hotel is attached to the "Alpine Mall", which features a couple of good little eateries (Wyatt's for tasty burritos and Eleanor's for good pasta) and some shops, and leads to the street. The end of the 5th floor where we were had a staircase leading directly onto the street where a door discreetly opens out next to the Foot Locker. (Note: if you are looking for milk or small groceries, try Stewart's Shops -- turn left out of the main entrance on Main and it is about a 3-5 minute walk.) The hotel also connects directly to its restaurant, Generations, which is a mid-scale establishment offering very good food.

A few areas in which the hotel could improve: 1) Front desk service. Meg was friendly and helpful. The other woman (blonde, don't recall her name) was less friendly and had to be prodded to be helpful. 2) Not enough places to hang towels and clothes in the bathroom. 3) Parking. Could be very tight when the hotel is full. The restaurant attached to the hotel shares some of the parking, I believe, which is part of the problem.

The room rate for two nights (but at a special rate for wedding guests) for a village-side room with two queen beds came to $508 USD, including tax. For the quality of the hotel, we considered this good value for the money.

Room Tip: Village-side rooms do not have a view, but are less expensive; 3d floor rooms allow pets; lake view is spectacular
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
Joell S, Marketing Strategist at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Thank you for the very thoughtful and thorough review! It sounds like you were able to enjoy everything that we have to offer. We're glad you had such a great time and were able to enjoy everything from your room, to the beach, to the Alpine Mall and more. Our beach is made of crushed limestone which helps counteract the effects of acid rain: a big problem in the Adirondack Park.
We're sorry about your experience at the front desk; that is not the norm here. We offer 4 underground parking garages in addition to the top level lot - but during the weekend, and especially when we have multiple wedding parties on site, they can fill up quick. That tends to be the norm in Lake Placid it self though! We hope you'll join us again soon!

Reviewed 1 October 2018

This is a long one so buckle up ...

My husband and I spent a week touring New England, celebrating our wedding anniversary. The very last night of our trip, we were both excited to stay at the Golden Arrow.

I did my homework. I read the reviews and called ahead to talk to the hotel about why we were coming and what I expected of our stay - all to be sure that our last night was just as memorable as the ones leading up to it.
I called in and spoke with Michael, who I thought (at the time) was very helpful. I explained that this was a special trip and I was looking for a QUIET establishment, off the beaten path, in which to celebrate our anniversary - with our dog in tow. I was upfront on what I was looking for (QUIET and pet friendly) and was assured that this was the place for me. Michael told me that most folks never leave the resort once checked in (never mentioned that was because travel and parking was horrendous, at best), that the dog was welcome everywhere (not true - the dog was only welcome in my room, the lobby and the 'grassy area across the street' according to the Pet Contract. Yes, I had to sign a Pet Contract at check in.), that there was a small surcharge for the dog (also not true - it was a massive $100) and that it was a VERY quiet place to be (SO SO SO not true). I even asked if the insulation was good, given the reviews I had read and was assured that it was.

So I made a reservation for Thursday night. Full disclosure, I did originally make the reservation for two nights (assuming that we would make it here sooner than anticipated) and then called back within the hour to change it to one night only. So far - no issue.

Then, as trips will sometimes do, we ran into an emergency and were not able to make it on Thursday. I called and Michael answered and I explained what had occurred and asked that he please push out our one night stay from Thursday night to Friday night. (We were extending our trip by one day to honor our obligation of the reservation that I made.) He very amicably agreed, and even more amicably explained that 'just to be sure that we were on the same page', I will be responsible for both nights: the night that I could not stay AND the night that I could. Before I could try to understand what was happening over this one night reservation, the call dropped. And I'm glad that it did. Because I called back in and spoke with Eve (?) who told me it was no issue - the reservation could be pushed out BUT the charge would be different since it was now a weekend night. I asked for the room cost, inclusive of the dog, and was quoted $309. Agreed and done. It's important to note that I asked, again, if it would be QUIET because of our anniversary trip and was assured that it was a very quiet place to be!

So, we dealt with our emergency, stayed at a wonderful little inn while addressing it, and headed south to the Golden Arrow the next day.

We arrived at the hotel at just before 4 PM - along with three wedding parties. THREE wedding parties at this QUIET hotel, on the lake, with private wooded trails and places for my dog, etc., etc., etc. (Sarcasm implied.) We waited outside for 10 minutes before we could even drive up to the door. Upon check in, I asked what the heck was going on since I expected a place on the lake with trails and beaches and a low key atmosphere and instead received a location directly on the main street of Lake Placid with no private resort trails and a room with a balcony rather than a patio (when again, we have a DOG with us). That's when I was told about the three weddings and I don't know what all else. OK. Let's just move on and get to the room. Nope. First, I was asked to sign a Pet Contract (the hotel clerks words, not mine), agree to a $100 WEEKLY charge for the dog (which I was told at check in is NOT included in the quoted $309 per night as both Michael and Eve had told me on the phone) and another $100 deposit for the dog. TWO charges for one dog? I asked the difference and she couldn't explain it other than one was a surcharge and one was a deposit. So I asked what the prorated amount was for one night for the dog since we were not staying a week and was told that it was my choice to not stay the week, not the hotels, so it's $100 either way. This was not what I had verbally agreed to, Golden Arrow. It was not. And I even confirmed twice.

We stayed. We stayed because it was nearly 5 pm by now, we did not know the area, my iPad battery was dead so I could not locate other pet friendly hotels and were just angry and tired and wanted to settle in. Maybe that's the motive all along?

Ah yes, settle into a room that did have a lake view - along with a fire pit directly below us (where I assume it was the wedding guests who were partying for the majority of the evening/night), disrespectful kids playing soccer below our room at 9 pm (I overheard one roughly 10 year old tell his father that he'll end the game and go to bed when HE decides it's time), other guests banging on their outside doors to get other guests attention, and having to navigate thru a maze of people to get my dog out the lobby, thru the throng of tourists on Main Street to the 'grassy area' noted in the Pet Contract. God, I'm exhausted writing this!

Long story shortened: I very much feel that the hotel did not return the honesty. I was very upfront in my expectations and asked all the right questions. The answers I received told me exactly what I wanted to hear and nowhere near what I actually experienced. (There was one good thing: we did order room service and, assuming that the restaurant is run by a different group of folks, it was both delicious and exactly as promised. I asked for a delivery time, was told 20 minutes, and received TWO servers at my room in approximately 20 minutes time. A server even called the room to confirm that I was aware of a delivery fee ($7, I think?) and that gratuity would be automatically added. EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE with the restaurant and the reason for the 2 star rating and not a 1.)

We hightailed it out of there the next morning at 7 am. We slept with the air conditioner on all night instead of enjoying an open door to the lake due to the noise level both inside and outside the hotel. I was in such a hurry that I took all our luggage at one time so as not to have to come back in. Just as a final courtesy, I stopped at the front desk in the morning to square up on the bill and that's when I found out that my $309 quoted charge, bumped up to $409 with the dog, was actually well over $500. Room service was included so I can't complain about that but I can further complain about a housekeeping gratuity added in without notification. Yet another lack of honestly on the part of the hotel. Brian, the clerk at the front desk, could not - get this - tell me what my final bill would actually be! When I pressed him on it, he told me he had no calculator and couldn't tell me. HA!
But you'll love this even more. After a 7 minute discussion with Brian about how to add up charges and why breakfast - which I was ALSO told was included - was not, I walked to the room, grabbed the hubby who was ready by then, walked back out to the lobby and Brian - who I had literally just spoken to for 7 minutes - asked me how my stay was. And we deja vu'ed the entire conversation again to my husbands amusement.

So, I know this was long and I apologize. But if you have kids that keep adult hours and ask as such, this is the place for you. If you are getting married and massive amounts of alcohol and rowdiness is on the agenda, this is the place for you. If you just want to spend quiet time with your spouse, pack a sleeping bag and stay in your car before you stay here.

Golden Arrow: you were not honest. An anticipated and agreed upon charge of $309/nite for two people, a dog and breakfast cost me $535 and a good 5 hours of sleep. Your Pet Contract says a Weekly Charge for the dog - weekly - not portion thereof. Your staff quoted a night that included breakfast and did not include hidden gratuities. Your staff was also not upfront on the activities that would further taint my requested quiet evening.

SHAME ON YOU.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J E
Jennifer H, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

J E,
thank you for that extremely detailed accounting of your time with us. I am so sorry you were disturbed by the weddings we were hosting during your stay. In truth, we love hosting weddings. They are a time of reunion and celebration. There is rekindling and laughter and we are always delighted to be a part of that. However, you are correct that if you are not a part of these boisterous gatherings, they can be disruptive. I think the miscommunication, in terms of having a quiet stay, may have happened when you had to change your dates at the last minute. The energy and atmosphere of Golden Arrow is largely impacted by the guests inhabiting it. What would have been a very quiet and relaxing getaway on a Thursday night (when there are no events scheduled) quickly turns into a party on Friday when groups of friends and family who have not seen each other in a long time arrive.

In terms of the pet fee and the housekeeping gratuity, we make every attempt to be as transparent as possible. The pet fee is $100 per pet for up to a week stay. It is not prorated by the day. It is $100 if you stay 1 night or 7 because either way the cleaning process we put the room through is the same and that fee covers the costs of that cleaning. This is all over our website, it would have been on the confirmation you received, and as you mentioned it was on the paperwork you signed at check in. The housekeeping gratuity is also on that paperwork, but is completely optional. It is just there to remind our guests of the sometime invisible, but critical team that is there making sure their stay is an amazing one.

Generations is also owned and operated by my family. My niece Natasha is the General Manager there. I will make sure to let her know you were pleased with their service. I wish you the best in your future travels.

Sincerely