All reviews guest house palm trees mint tea true oasis peaceful environment late hour todra gorge next morning the owner local guide nice stay his brother delicious dinner rooms are clean after a long day hot water doreen
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Palmeraie Guesthouse - Tinerhir and Todra Gorge, High Atlas Mountains Morocco.

I booked 4 nights at this charming guesthouse on the recommendation of a Canadian friend. It was an authentic and enjoyable experience.
Rachid met my Supr@tour bus from Marrakech, and kindly took me to a bank machine and then to purchase my return bus ticket before driving to the Guesthouse nearby. I was warmly welcomed with Moroccan tea and shown to my cosy room with ensuite.
Dinner that evening was a delicious soup, and a selection of local olives followed by Gowad's tagine and a fruit plate for dessert. A wood burning stove made for a cosy atmosphere.
After the meal, I was given a tour of the common areas: the tastefully and traditionally decorated lounges and terraces. The following morning I was served breakfast on the sunny roof terrace, drinking exceptionally good Moroccan coffee in an "Arabian Nights" setting, serenaded by a chorus of birdsong.
Rachid drove me into nearby Tinerhir to visit the massive weekly Monday souk. It was a feast for the senses. We tasted tea, oranges, dates and ginger conserve as we strolled amid the various vendors to the sounds of goats, sheep, donkeys and roosters.
Afterwards, we walked through the former Jewish quarter which is now under renovation, and then through the small independent souks where Rachid tracked down a small souvenir Moroccan flag for me and I purchased silver filigree earrings. We visited a Berber rug gallery, made a stop at the bakery, then enjoyed a cappuccino before heading back to the Palmeraie. That afternoon I shadowed Gowad in the kitchen as he prepared Moroccan couscous. Dinner was beautifully presented and delicious. More yummy olives!
Next morning a local guide took me on a trek to the Todra Gorge. We walked along the river, the irrigation canals, and the community gardens through forests of flowering almond trees and date palms. The sounds of the birds, the irrigation canals and the river made for a meditative trek.
Six hours later I was back at the guesthouse enjoying Moroccan tea, reading on the terrace and soaking up the sun.
Rachid appeared and offered to drive me out past the Todra Gorge to see the Berber villages. Dinner that night was a traditional salad of fresh vegetables, chopped egg and olives, BBQ turkey brochettes with pommes frites. Tea, fruit and sweets for dessert. I watched a bit of BBC TV in the reception lounge before turning in.
Day 3 found me climbing the steep 300 m mountain trail behind the Gorge to visit a Nomadic Berber family camp. My guide and I were served sweet tea and fresh bread as we relaxed in the sunshine. Three hours later, Rachid met us in the village at the base of the mountain for the drive home. He was very generous to drive me about.
Back at the guesthouse, I drank tea and snacked on nuts on the terrace before dinner - a delicious "southern" tagine, beautifully presented.
Rachid drove me to the bus station after breakfast the next day, and kindly waited with me, for which, as a foreign woman travelling alone, I was extremely grateful. I enthusiastically recommend the Palmeraie Guesthouse, not just for the comfort and delicious meals, but also for the superb hospitality.
Peggy MacDonald
Nova Scotia, Canada

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Peggymac1
Reviewed 23 December 2016

This guesthouse is very comfortable and relaxing. We stayed here on a car trip through the Atlas Mountains before going to see Todra Gorge. The setting is lovely with palms all around. Raashid was a wonderful host. A traditional Berber dinner was fantastic as was the breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable. In the morning Jack the Donkey transported our luggage up the hill to where our car was parked.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ljanatop
Reviewed 8 November 2016

We had a great time staying at the Palmeraie Guesthouse, in between visiting the Dades Gorge and the Todra Gorge. The staff were so welcoming and it was especially nice to have an unexpected mug of Yorkshire tea with the owner. The location is very beautiful and peaceful, ideally located for visiting the Todra Gorge. The place had a real family feel about it and the dinner we had was really the best food we had in Morocco - thank you so much!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah W
Reviewed 23 October 2016

We stayed for a night a Palmeraie Guesthouse on our way from Merzouga to Tardoudant. The location of the guesthouse is beautiful with great views on the palm trees and mountains. The guesthouse had several different terraces, each with nice views. From the guesthouse you step immediately into the palm groves and also the Todra Gorge is a 5 minute drive.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and took their time to welcome us accompanied with some Thé à la menthe. Our room was basic but comfortable, fairly spacious and featured a good shower. Both the dinner in the lounge and breakfast on the terrace were excellent and tasty.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rolandboon
Reviewed 17 October 2016

We stayed here in October 2016 and found a charming, peaceful place that looks over a valley with an "oases" comprising palm trees, apricot, almond and pomegranate groves and much more. A wonderful place to wander. The guesthouse itself is simple but a lot of effort has been made to make it welcoming. We were greeted with tea and although we didn't have dinner here the breakfast was one of the more varied and fresh that we had during out two week stay in Morocco.
One slight downside is that it is not very easy to find once you are on the road out of Tinghir. It's quite a drive out of the town and then be careful not to miss the sign on the right. Don't expect to see a road so park up and you will see a rugged footpath leading from the road down to the guesthouse. The owner met us at the top and helped us with the luggage and a donkey brought them back. There is room for parking just off the road.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family