“Felt just like home”
other travellers have booked this property
Double bedroom Double bedroom
Lounge
Kitchen
Bathroom
Bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

shelaghdu...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“nightmare”
Reviewed 17 February 2016 for a stay in January 2016

Had trouble finding the property, had to phone house keeper who came to find us. there were 4 of us & going down dirt road to large gate that couldn't open as tree growing over it started to ring alarm bells!
Inside was really awful, the swimming pool looking a good size on photos was little more than a plunge pool, & very cloudy water, wouldn't have used it, & courtyard very cramped & seedy
inside was so dark & uninviting we were all horrified, the Lounge was so dark & tiny you would have to have light on all time. There was a door from there into another bedroom but it was locked, on photos that appeared to be the best bedroom with the best bathroom, so why didn't we have use of that!!
One bedroom was very dark, awful furniture & it doubled up as an office, not very inviting, Bathroom very very basic & seedy. Other bedroom was really awful as well & our friends refused to sleep in it.
This really was a bad experience & spoilt my holiday, we've been going to Gambia for 30 years, & were introducing our friends to its charm, so you can imagine how devastated I felt.
It was totally misleading on the information a much longer walk to beach & any ameanaties Lucy the housekeeper was supposed to do laundry, shopping & cooking if you required, we thought this was why it was so expensive ( £500 ), Lucy was lovely but very pregnant, so we wouldn't be expecting her to do all these things.
We didn't stop, left almost immediately. Got 2 taxies ( with all our luggage) & were lucky to book into our usual hotel at Cape Point.
If you are looking on Tripadvisor rentals in the Gambia , & you want to contact me please do. I am in top 15% of reviewers on tripadvisor & as I always book after I researched Tripadvisor, I've always been thrilled, this was the 1st expensive disaster.
Luckily everywhere else we stayed was excellent, & our friends will definatly go back there.

Overall condition of the property Kitchen & utensils
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Lucy the house keeper was lovely, expecting a baby very soon, so couldnt expect her to do very much
Liked least: Everything, did not stop, left immediatly
Travelling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
22 Feb 2016
This person did not stay at our villa.

A location map identifying the location of the villa was sent to this person before arrival. This clearly identifies the location of the villa and its proximity to the beach, shops and Strip (a short walk).

The pool is an average size for this type of villa and is cleaned every day. Its size and that of the lovely terrace are clear from the photos on this website.

The photos on the website give a good indication of the inside of the villa. Electric lights are available at the touch of a switch for rooms that are deemed too dark!! Some people enjoy the shade on (regular!)hot days!

There is no office in any bedroom. We do have a computer and wifi which is available for use by guests.

We do not discriminate against people who are pregnant. Lucy has worked with us for many years and has plenty of people available to help her with any tasks she cannot currently manage. We also have another housekeeper and security guard.

At no point did this person contact us directly to express any concerns with the property.

Please see all other reviews for an accurate summary of our villa, of which we are very proud.
glamgs
Zurich, Switzerland
“Deposit from 100£ not get back completely after finish my holiday”
Reviewed 3 February 2016 for a stay in December 2015

I want to warning people to not sent the money with out talking to the owner or bank how you get your money back! The Bank fee from england,has taken for that transfer 37£, my Bank says is highest for one way 13.61! And all transfers . It will be charged to the guest each transaction ! Mr. Farr, has himself pulled out of it!
So iam very angry after wrighting him so many emails!! Never pay direkt the mistake i did, always over tripadviser !
Jariu Musa

Management Response
22 Feb 2016
This person did not stay at our villa.

This person's deposit was returned by us in full.

We cannot cover the cost of international bank transfers, particularly if we do not know how much a 3rd party's bank will charge.

We are happy to accept payment by Paypal if preferred.
Richard f
“Felt just like home”
Reviewed 27 January 2016 for a stay in January 2016

My partner and I booked the main house comprising 2 double and 1 single bedrooms, lounge and kitchen. This arrangement gave us flexibility for the family to visit and stay at the weekend.It worked superbly and I thank James for making this possible. The house is an absolute dream with spacious clean accomodation, marvellous swimming pool and great location. The walk to the shops and restaurants although manageable was a bit far especially on a dark evening and a torch would come in handy.
We were met by Lucy and Pascal who both made us very welcome and were around for the 2 weeks to make sure we were comfortable without being intrusive.
This truly is a great place and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again when in Gambia.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Swimming pool
Liked least: Nothing not yo like about this property
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
hannah347
“A fantastic property! ”
Reviewed 23 October 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

I stayed at Leander for a week in September and couldn't fault the property or Lucy (the housekeeper)'s services one bit. My arrival in the middle of the night was no issue, and I was greeted by a very smiley Gambian...this friendliness only continued throughout the week! The property was clean throughout and the outside was immaculately maintained.

The amenities provided were perfect for a solo traveler like myself as I was able to cook, although a large range of restaurants are just a few minutes' walk down the road so the property's in a great location. The outside seating area was an ideal office/base for my week and the pool provided a nice respite break to cool down every now and again. The property is well secured and I was able to come and go as I pleased.

I'm so happy I came across this rental before departing for Gambia, and I'll definitely be returning in years to come. Thanks!

luke924
New York City, New York
“Beautiful villa, excellent staff, superb location”
Reviewed 12 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I stayed at Leander for 3 weeks from mid-July to early August, and couldn't have been more impressed. As I was visiting The Gambia for work (journalist) I wanted a place where I could read, write and unwind, and my research led me to enquire about Leander.
The booking process was easy and professional, with James at Armada Holidays (a British family-run company) responding to emails promptly and fully. As a single traveller I only needed one room, and was offered a very fair rate.
I arranged a pick-up off my flight with Abdu, the driver, who met me after customs with my name on board. As the airport can be a bit of a scene I would recommend this, and although the price is a bit steep for the country if you're traveling alone (20 pounds/30 dollars) he has a big van so it's a deal for groups. Also, it means you don't start your trip haggling with taxi drivers, which is a bonus in my book. Abdu also let me know that he can arrange trips/money changing/act as a tour guide, and although I didn't take him up on it as I was there for work he's a good guy and I trusted him. As a side note, I would just mention that the standard of driving is very poor, so if you're of a nervous disposition I would suggest using Abdu to get around rather than taxis. I drove with him a few times and he is very conscious of safety on the road.
The villa itself was fantastic, with everything clean and operational. The wi-fi worked straight away, the bed was turned down with fresh sheets and the bathroom was spotless. In the outside areas, everything was again clean and functional, with the pool obviously taken care of. None of this deteriorated during my stay.
The staff themselves were all very friendly and on top of things, with special thanks to Lucy (housekeeper and cook) and Pascal (security guard). I only ate Lucy's cooking once as I preferred to get out for dinner, but it was very good. As a side note, Pascal is very happy to come along to the supermarket (or wherever else) and help carry shopping, or you can ask him to run out for something. I tipped him a few dalasis when he did this, although I suppose you could just add a little extra at the end of the stay.
There is a safe in the room which I used for passports and big money, although I never had any of the general sticky-fingeredness I've come to expect in West African hotels. I can't tell you how great it is not to worry about theft, as any trouble of that kind instantly poisons a trip whether it's a holiday or work visit. Although I was a bit wary at first, I left my door unlocked after a few days so the maid (Angelika, although my spelling may be wrong) could clean up. If I wanted laundry done, I just asked Lucy or Angelika and they returned it cleaned and ironed the next day (keep in mind there are no washing machines).
The location was great, about five minutes walk from the supermarket and restaurants of The Village, and 10 minutes from the Senegambia strip and the beach. As a tip, I would say the restaurants in The Village are better but more expensive, and Senegambia is best for nightlife. For taxis, you can either ask Pascal to grab you one (and help negotiate) or just walk up to the top of the road yourself and grab one. I did this every morning and never waited more than about 15 seconds. Try that in London or New York!
As a last note, I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of Leander, Bruce Farr, who was in town to oversee the building of another, smaller place just down the road. We had a few drinks while I was there, and I had an excellent time with him.
I want to thank Bruce, James, Lucy, Pascal and everyone at Armada for making a work trip a pleasure, and if I'm ever back in the country I'll make sure to go through them!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The staff
Liked least: Wish I'd eaten more mangoes- they are superb
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing