“great weekend”
Review of Hearthstone Point

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake George
Hearthstone Point
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We had originally wanted to stay at the Battleground State Campground down the road but it was fully booked for the weekend already. We decided to try Hearthstone Point. When we arrived, we were given a few open lots to choose from and got to drive in to see them and pick, which I thought was really nice. The campground is divided in two parts, divided by a main road. The side closer to the lake (with a small beach!) was all booked so we were on the side more up the mountain. We were in site 163, with convenient bathrooms nearby and the showers just down the road. The lot was a little small, but flat and big enough for a family of four. The bathrooms were a little old and had a few bugs in it, but good enough. The showers were pretty nice - individually doored and stalled and the water was strong and warm. We stayed for two nights. The campsite is at a good location - only a ten minute drive to downtown, which is where the start to the trail up Prospect Mountain is as well. There is a Price Chopper downtown where you can get food to cook and firewood, too.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Tiffany Y

Reviewed 9 August 2017

On July 29th 2017 around noon I arrived at the gate to attend my scuba club's annual picnic, always held a Hearthstone. When I tried to pay for a day pass the young "lady" snottily announced that she had let in 20 cars and was not selling any more day passes. Her reason was that "her" campers had a right to use the beach.

Couple things wrong with this. First the picnic was at the picnic area and no where near the beach. Second, by surrendering my drivers license I was allowed to drive in and drop off the food I had brought to share and leave immediately. At the picnic area I observed 5 parking spaces big enough for a SUV and 3 additional where I could have parked my sub-compact.

When I stopped to pick up my license I mentioned this to the attendant and got the snotty response "Your group should have planned better". Nice - it's a public park. Not sure how they can get away with this.

From spring through fall I used to go to Hearthstone to dive about weekly. I had the cost of my air and gass for a 100 mile round trip. My dives there were public service - I picked up junk/garbage thrown from boats. I even took the trash home rather than adding it to the park load. No more. I will never set foot in Hearthstone again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Recently stayed two nights. The sites were small and the fire pits were falling apart. Bathrooms were pretty gross and could use more frequent cleaning. First night our neighbors were partying until 3:30am but there was no security patrol. Second night, after we complained, they were given a warning and security came though several times. Best part about this place is the lake/beach area and distance to downtown. Otherwise, its just your basic/rustic campground with no amenities.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kerrianne T
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I recently camped with my wife, and another couple, for four nights here. The campsite was clean when we arrived. The fire pit, and bathrooms, could benefit from an upgrade. We were located not far from a bathroom and people were quiet when using the facilities. The shower area had food thrown in the sink by campers on more than one occasion. The wood being sold in the area is primarily unseasoned and difficult to ignite. Bring a good ax, or splitter, with you. We camped on the lower portion of the campground, nearer to Lake George. Hilly getting to and from the beach from most camp sites. Monday and Thursday nite fireworks were fun. Better view on Monday from the campground beach. The roadway was rather close to our camp site.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2017

This is a out door camp site, you can drive your car into. Have wide parking lot or you can park in your tent side. Location is not far from downtown area of Lake George, a small beach (private) at the lake side. Price is low, but good enough for a relax weekend.

The public shower place and bathroom are kind of 'old' but clean. (No dirt or bugs inside, some surprise me that)
A place to enjoy basic camping for whole family.

Room Tip: Don't pick the camp site too down the hill, closer to Bathroom is okay, No bad smell there.