Travelocity
Orbitz.com
CheapTickets
Hotels.com
Snaptravel
All reviews club mak pizza lake malawi sunset villa infinity pool fish three nights lovely beach beautiful resort behind the scenes cool breeze treated like royalty her attention likoma island stunning views rooms are spacious lake beach
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 February 2021

It is hard to put into words how beautiful this place is. My husband and I spent two nights of our honeymoon in the Sunset Villa. The infinity pool seems as if you are swimming right into Lake Malawi. The privacy of the Villa makes you feel like you’re the only ones there. The food, especially the pizza, was delicious. All of the staff were so welcoming!
I would highly recommend Makokola Retreat and the sunset Villa to any honeymooners, couples, or anyone looking to spend some time in the beautiful oasis The Makokola Retreat has created here in Malawi. We are looking forward to going back!

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2021

My 8-year old daughter and I stayed here twice; once in October 2020 and a second time in November 2020. We stayed in the new Lakeside area and during the times of our visits children under 12 could stay on that side as part of a special. Normally children under 12 cannot stay in those villas.

The lakeside suites are lovely. We had a great bottom floor villa with a patio. Normally, I would prefer a balcony, but during COVID they delivered food to the rooms, but only the lower ground floor rooms. The decor was lovely and the room very comfortable. We had a view of the Lake and were very close to the dining area and the infinity pool. On our second visit we stayed at the Sunset Villa, which is two floors and has its own infinity pool. Honestly, I kinda do not want to go back unless I can stay there at the Sunset Villa again.

The rooms are beautifully decorated and include several Katundu pieces -- gorgeous glassware light fixtures from Likoma Island. Stunning.

The Makokola Retreat as I think the best gym I have seen in Malawi. Amazing equipment there.

The grounds are beautiful. Just gorgeous landscaping.

The food though is just OK and unfortunately the service is really, really, REALLY slow. Some dishes were quite good and others missed the mark.

Date of stay: November 2020
2  Thank Tamara S
Reviewed 22 December 2020 via mobile

We had fish n chips in crumbs which came soggy n all the crumbs had basically peeled off the fish ... cherry on the cake , 1 serving was forgotten to b prepared by the chef so came ridiculously late after everyone had finished eating... a simple bread roll could not b served too as it was still being baked ! (Of which the server could not inform us how long it would take !) Snd even that was served after deserts !!! Cherry on the cake we were charged for it too although not consumed when we asked for the standard of the fish dish to be reviewed by the chef we were told he was not available!!

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank nushratt
Reviewed 27 November 2020 via mobile

This Chambo (fish fillets) tasted divinely. I recommend it to everyone who visits The makokola retreat. Thank you Makokola chef for preparing this dish to perfection.
It just complimented the beautiful setting and the cool breeze coming through from the beautiful and famous Lake Malawi.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2020 via mobile

The way I was treated felt like black people are not welcome at this place. I will never go back to this place though it's such a beauty. They need to change their attitude towards black guests seemingly so many have complained about preferential treatment.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
Makokola Team, Guest Services / Front Office at The Makokola Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2020

Dear Mr. Mughandira,

Thank you for posting a review and bringing this to our attention, your review is very concerning to us. We’re sorry to hear that you felt unwelcome and felt like preferential treatment was given.

We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further, as we take feedback like this very seriously, we aim to always serve all our guests equally regardless of race, gender or ethnicity.

Please could you contact our Managing Director at benedetto@makokola.com or our General Manager at nickdumba@makokola.com

Please advise a suitable contact number for them to reach you on, so we may discuss your specific personal experience and work with you to resolve the unfortunate experience you had.

Kind Regards,