Elephant's Eye, Hwange
The Hide(Hwange National Park)
US$1 367
  • Breakfast included
Ganda Lodge(Hwange National Park)(Great Value!)
US$149
  • Pool
Hwange Safari Lodge(Hwange National Park)
US$181
US$140
Somalisa Camp- African Bush Camps(Hwange National Park)
US$1 680
Jumia Travel
  • Restaurant
US$107
US$72
Agoda.com
The N1 Hotel Harare(Harare)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$66
US$194
US$180
HolidayInn.com
Gwango Elephant Lodge(Hwange National Park)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewseco lodgeoutdoor showergame drivesswimming pooljenman safaristented chaletslarge bathlodge manageron stiltsfantastic lodgesalt lickherd of elephantswatering holenight staywood fireknowledgeable guidesfantastic stay
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Having devoured images and descriptions of Elephant’s Eye on the web, none prepared me for the truly blissful experience of the lodge itself.

Elephant’s Eye is an incredibly special place. We received such a warm welcome on arrival – as though we were returning friends. All staff greeted us by name whenever they saw us and everyone went out of their way to be attentive to our needs, without being intrusive.
With only 8 tents (of extreme luxury), the lodge offers exclusivity in a serene setting. We chose Elephant’s Eye for some long-overdue R&R and game viewing. Each evening we were gently guided around activities open to us for the next day and were at total liberty to join other guests, do our own activity or just relax in peace at the lodge. I spent an entire morning watching the waterhole from the comfort of my huge bed and listening to the soporific sounds of the bush whilst my husband took a massage in the cute and private spa. During our stay, we also did game walks, park visits, local visits to conservation efforts, bush dinners and sundowners on private decks.

Each of the 8 tents are built on stilts, well-spaced apart and perfectly appointed, being placed along a waterhole frequented by lots of game. Every tent was the same and each had great views. The tents are so well maintained and everything worked perfectly.
My breath was stolen from me when we entered our tent, not only for the first time, but every time I entered. The interior is so beautiful – light, natural and understated but hugely comfortable. The super comfy king-sized beds lie in front of a huge tent window which you can roll up & allow you to look out over the view.

Tent facilities include a private balcony, en-suite bathroom with large bath, dual sinks, outdoor shower with incredible views (surprisingly private from everyone else), log fireplace, safe, several tables & chairs. Every room has Wi-Fi and incredibly, a built-in plug socket which takes multiple plug types!

The lodge itself has a pool, spa offering massage, library, lounge, bar and several dining areas, plus a small shop with carefully sourced products.
The lodge practices its eco beliefs – laundry and all room products are eco/animal friendly, the pool is naturally filtered, drinking water is always provided on site and the lodge makes no use of plastic – not even water bottles.

The food was totally beyond expectation. The service, presentation and food quality were perfect. The menu was very well balanced and portions were spot-on. I was so impressed with the lower-carb/higher vegetable aspect and my impression was that this was planned knowing guests are often sedentary during their stay (either relaxing or on game drives). The chef personally presented the dinner menu each evening and came out to check satisfaction during the meal. The quality of the food was extremely high & ranks as the best lodge food I’ve had anywhere. One of the best aspects of our stay.

Staying for 4 nights gave us a good chance to experience the lodge, Hwange National Park and some other activities although we could have spent another 2 nights here for sure. The trips into the National Park were rewarding and gave us opportunity to visit at different parts of the day. The lodge is situated on a concession in which we saw Elephant, buffalo and plenty more (much from the lodge) plus we and heard Hyena and Lion close-by at night.

One of the options is to stay at “The Eye”, which is a sleep-out deck on the concession, right in the thick of the bush & in front of a large water hole. There is a tented platform with a bed and mosquito net plus a bathroom & shower underneath. Guests are taken through after dinner and collected again in the morning after a secluded night of nocturnal game watching deep within the bush. Incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience & an absolute must do!

We were so well looked after by Blessed and his team and just cannot wait to return.

I cannot rate this experience highly enough. It’s a magical location, created by a passion for excellence and you will not regret spending time here.

Room Tip: All luxury tents are the same with excellent views of the waterhole.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
JenmanSafaris, Owner at Elephant's Eye, Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Hi RCDMarshall

Thank you for taking the time to share you detailed review of your time at Elephant’s Eye, Hwange. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful time and that the lodge and experience ticked all the boxes for a fabulous holiday. I hope you made many lasting and cherished memories during your time at Elephant's Eye.

Firstly, thank you for recognizing the efforts of Blessed and the rest of the team operating the lodge. We are truly lucky to have such passionate and hardworking staff and I will be sure to share you very kind and complimentary review with them.
It is also great to know that you enjoyed the food and the dining experience. I will definitely let the chef know of your praises.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the chalets and all their amenities. A lot of thought went into their construction and design and it is always great when guests appreciate this.

I am happy to know that you and your husband participated in so many of the wonderful activities on offer at the lodge, and in particular a night on our sleep-out deck, The Eye. A night surrounded by the raw beauty of the African bush is something I feel everyone should experience at least once in their lives

It sounds like you had fantastic game viewing at the lodge. I hope your experiences on your game drives in Hwange National Park were just as successful.

A big thank you for your acknowledgement of our responsible tourism and eco-friendly initiatives. They really are such an integral part of our company culture and thus, it is always appreciated when guests take note of these aspects and are supportive of them.

I hope you will visit us again in the future for another fantastic holiday. Please feel free to stay in contact with the goings on at the lodge on our social media pages.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

After dreaming of safari in Africa my whole life, I was worried about my expectations being too high- and then this little private, pristine place blew them all out of the water. I can't say enough good things about my time here. I spent 6 nights in my beautiful eco-chalet, surrounded by pure silence, and the wild unspoiled beauty of rural Africa. I was the only guest there for a few days, as well- and while that easily could have meant the entire staff slacked off without much to do for anybody.. instead they tripled down on me, giving me so much attention, I felt like a queen. Every single person involved here was incredible. From the first moment of pick-up to the multiple days of private, guided safari to sundowners and sunrise coffees and random meal-time moments of conversation just about local issues and community- I was sad to leave and would happily move in if it were possible. A huge thank you to every single person who made my stay so special. An extra thank you to the wonderful chef (the food should get its own review. Too good and too plentiful for words!) and my guide for escorting me to a local school, also-- which turned out to be an absolute highlight, getting to visit the kids and deepening my understanding of the community.
Finally, I want to underscore the tremendous role Jenman Safaris takes in supporting local community. Not only do they really strive to leave minimal footprint and keep everything eco-friendly, but also they try to identify skilled locals, so artisan craft products are sold in their little boutique, with proceeds going straight to the artists. Additionally, they sponsor local programs designed at helping girls stay in school and get educated- and get them supplies when they start menstruating, which is stigmatized and taboo locally. I like to think if I were to open and operate a tour company, I would do it all by this blueprint. I was truly impressed at all levels, and wish this still-relatively-new endeavor unparalleled success and longevity. I look forward to my next stay, and I already miss everybody! Thanks again, all. You have inspired me greatly.

Room Tip: Rooms are numbered 1-8, with 1 being closest to the main part of camp, 8 being farthest. I stayed in 7 and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank c r
JenmanSafaris, Owner at Elephant's Eye, Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Hi C R

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay at Elephant’s Eye, Hwange. I am so pleased to know that you had a fabulous time and that we could help in making your lifelong dream a reality.

I greatly appreciate your kind words with regards the staff at the lodge and in particular our chef. We are exceptionally lucky to have such a passionate, hardworking and hospitable team operating the lodge, and I am so happy that they could make your stay with us that much more special. I will most definitely share your review with the team.

A big thank you for your acknowledgement of our responsible tourism and eco-friendly initiatives. They really are such an integral part of our company culture and thus, it is always appreciated when clients take note of these aspects and are supportive of them.

I hope you will visit us again so that we may have the privilege of providing you with another fantastic safari holiday. Please feel free to stay in contact via our social media pages.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

We stayed here with our Jenman Tour group mid April. This was a OMG moment. We had our own private chalet (eco friendly) with an outdoor shower, massive indoor bath, double basins, verandah and a complete view of the park and water hole. Food was amazing and the staff were so lovely, A big thank you to Lucy and Mercy for looking after us, We even saw elephants drinking out of the salt water pool at night. We would definetely come back again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
JenmanSafaris, Owner at Elephant's Eye, Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Hi Jerika

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased to know that you had a wonderful time at Elephant's Eye.

I am happy that you enjoyed the chalets and all their amenities, as well the fact that they are eco-friendly. Being eco-friendly has been a big focus for us since opening the lodge and it is always appreciated when guests acknowledge and appreciate this.

Thank you for recognising the efforts of Lucy and Mercy. We will most definitely pass on your compliments to them and the rest of the team.

Watching the elephants drink from the pool is one of the things that make Elephant’s Eye such a special place, and I am so greatful that you were fortunate enough to witness this phenomenon.

I hope you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

An experience of a lifetime!! The wonderful and welcoming staff, the excellent food and thoughtful finishing touches make this lodge a winner. Sitting around the fire-pit with after dinner drinks, zebra and antelope at the nearby waterhole will stay in my memory for ever.

Stayed: May 2017

Hi Ann R

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time and made memories that will last forever.

I am so happy to know that the food at the lodge was excellent during your stay. I will most definitely pass on your kinds words to the chef.

We hope you will visit us again in the near future. Please feel free to stay in contact via our social media pages.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Stayed for three nights and wish it could have been longer. The food was fabulous, the accommodation so luxurious including a bath and outdoor shower and lovely toiletries. We had elephants drink from the splash pool while eating dinner on our first night! Macy and Lucy were so welcoming, your service was outstanding.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
JenmanSafaris, Owner at Elephant's Eye, Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Hi 242kay73

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased to know that you had a fantastic stay at Elephant’s Eye.

I am happy to know that the chalets and food were to your liking. The outside showers are one of my favourite things about the rooms as well.

I am thrilled that you were fortunate enough to watch the elephants drink from the pool. It truly is one of the things that make Elephant's Eye such a special place. With all the rain of late, the elephants have not frequented the pool as regularly, but I am happy to know that they have started to return.

Thank you for recognising the efforts of Macy and Lucy. We are exceptionally lucky to have such a passionate and hospitable team operating the lodge.

We hope you will visit us again in the near future so that we may show you even more of what Elephant’s Eye and Hwange National Park have to offer.