Review Highlights

Ignore the GPS and access the trails from Rte. 9D

Reviewed 8 July 2019
Birkiegirl001
Guadalajara

All reviews great hike trail estate climb woods rocks ruins map route hikers beginners
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 July 2020

Local hiker here, writing another review for the benefit of non-locals. As I have written elsewhere, I am writing because it seems, since the start of COVID, that we have been getting A LOT of first timers, both to the area and to hiking in general. Some tips: 1. all of these are REAL trails, many of which are rocky, some of which have you crossing streams, some of which require that you climb. Please wear good shoes and consider hiking elsewhere if you have small children, dogs or are out of shape. I'm not trying to be mean, but I do want you to know about the shoes/in shape thing because 2. the local rescue/fire is volunteer based. If you get hurt, you have to wait for them to come to you. 3. this is the most frustrating. People leave the trails or drive onto roads that are clearly marked private because their map apps or gps tells them there are access points where there are none. Sometimes these little spurs lead off into the woods. People get lost or fall and get hurt. Sometimes, they are actually private roads and driveways! While I totally understand an honest mistake, bad interactions mean I have had put the local police department on speed dial. Please do not make me call them.

Date of experience: July 2020
4  Thank mirmirandronnie
Reviewed 29 November 2019

We enjoyed doing the Cornish Estate hike with an elementary and a middle school aged children. They enjoyed exploring the ruins and the feeling of wilderness along the Hudson. It can be expanded as the kids get older but for now a quick out and back gave them a feeling of accomplishment

Date of experience: November 2019
1  Thank BetterOnABike
Reviewed 9 July 2019

Ignore the GPS if it sends you to the trails by Lake Surprise Road in Cold Spring, NY. The only access is via Rte.9D - save time and get more hiking in by going straight there - you´ll get turned away at the top of Lake Surprise Rd as it is a Camp, is private property and is gated.

Date of experience: July 2019
2  Thank Birkiegirl001
Reviewed 26 April 2019

My wife and I hiked the 2 hour section of the Breakneck trail. It was challenging for us, but we did it. Not bad for a 47 and 52 year old!

We saw people bring dogs on this trail which I thought might be tough for them with all of the climbing over rocks for a good part of the hike up the mountain. This might not be good for very young kids either.

Bring water and snacks! And hopefully you are ok with heights! There were a few spots where I felt a little uneasy and my wife and I are experienced hikers.

Date of experience: April 2019
2  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 8 February 2019 via mobile

The Mt. Beacon Incline Railway was a working attraction for years. Today the area serves as a gateway to a section of the Hudson Highlands.

The views from the top are magnificent! No wonder George Washington had used the summit to warn of enemy troop movements.

Be aware of natural and man-made hazards. Enjoy your trip with more with extra water, food, a first aid kit, and binoculars.

Date of experience: January 2019