Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews these factors game viewing outstanding experience northern botswana copper bathtub vast array chef raymond writing desk red lechwe cocktail hour his passion safari experience indoor and outdoor showers fabulous job four nights private guide tea and coffee
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 June 2023

We traveled with another couple in June. Would be outstanding but for a few minor issues with equipment in tent not redolved or resolves aftera few requests. Food & game drives were excellent for the most part. We expected Duba to be our top choice of our two week four camp trip but just not quite as good as Selinda or Jao Camp.

Date of stay: June 2023
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 May 2023

This was the second camp we stayed at, the first being Selinda Camp. We had been to Africa before, but in camps that were not as upper class as this trip. Here are my thoughts on these camps.
They are first class, all the way, and if you've ever had a bucket shower, you know the difference. The thing is, ask yourself what you need, and what you want out of your experience before shelling out the extra $$$, because that is a completely personal preference, and it may not matter to you.
First, the lodgings. They are top notch. We couldn't have asked for better. It was first class, all the way. The furnishings, the available bars, the views, the bedding, the common areas in the suite rooms (we were with another couple within a group, and we shared the suite which is two identical rooms on either side of the common area), your own private swimming pool (and in the suite, each couple had their own pool outside their room), the giant copper bathtub, the thoughtful gestures like fresh water pitchers in the bathrooms, and common rooms, the mini fridges in the common room and the bedrooms, your own private fully stocked bar, a jar of cookies (and a jar of gluten free cookies, because I am gluten free), a fully stocked writing desk, and a sitting area in our room. There were yoga mats, Canon 5DMIV with 100-400mm lens-for each guest, memory cards for the cameras. The bedding was fully covered with mosquito netting, and an A/C unit above the headboard. When fully enclosed with the fabric, the A/C was enough to cool the bed area. Full compliment of toiletries, shampoo, conditioner, lotion.
Plenty of charging stations for any of your electronics. Please take an adapter, but you do not need a converter.
Next up, staff. The staff was very good. There is a point person who makes appointments for anything you need-massage, hair, facial, pedi, mani. I had two massages, because I'd broken my wrist and had surgery for a plate prior to coming, and had just been cleared by the doctor, but physical therapy was ongoing, and my arm was a mass of muscle knots. She was very good, and used hot stones and deep massage to relax the muscles, and I couldn't have been more happy with the level of service, or how friendly and comfortable they made me feel. On the 2nd day of our arrival, I could not drag myself out of bed at the wakeup call, and stayed in to try and relax, and recover from the rough pace we had (we had an organized group with a private guide not provided by the camp). At around 8:00, when I was contemplating what to do about breakfast, one of the girls showed up, and asked what I would like for breakfast. I was totally stunned-I expected to go over to the main lodge area to get breakfast, but she insisted on taking my order and delivering it to me, after which she prepared coffee for me in my room-cheery and happy. It was so amazing to me-and appreciated-I don't expect people to wait on me hand and foot, but she made me feel so special and cared for. The staff that come to bring you tea and coffee and get you for safari, are pleasant, and happy.
The jeeps are open sided, and fully equipped with the best ponchos, I've ever seen-lined with a heavy faux fur type of lining that keeps you warm in the chilly mornings, and dry in the pouring rain. each seat has a center console where they are stored. Insulated water bottles are provided, and filled each morning. Breakfast is out in the bush, sometimes a formal big affair with a table and camp cooking, sometimes simple premade items. Always GF items were provided as well as regular fair. The gluten free breads and muffins were always VERY good-especially for GF. They put the spread out, and packed it up. We were never lacking for good food.
Lunch was served family style at the lodge. Always fresh, always good. Dinner was where I had trouble. Every evening drinks were served on the deck, during their cocktail hour, which was pleasant and a fun way to decompress after the drives. The dinner food was very good as well-fresh, varied, no complaints with the actual food, or the cooking. Served in courses, it often made the evenings a bit long. Once or twice they served dinner buffet style instead, which helped speed things up. And the only reason I'd not prefer this is with a group of 12, and the really long days, and the later dinners which served by courses took longer, often made it hard to get up the next morning at 5AM.
My only true complaint was, wifi was not available in the main lodge. We were told this was an effort to force guests to engage with each other, rather than buried in their phones. Generally speaking, it sounds good in theory, but when you make new friends, you often want to connect with them on social media, and this made it almost impossible. I also resent being treated like I'm 10, and can't put down my phone on my own-I assure you I can. And at this age group (fifties or so) we generally don't engage in antisocial behavior by being obsessed with our phones anyway. It seems controlling and obnoxious to me.
The gift shop was filled with a variety of really lovely things, high quality clothing and hats, as well as scarves, and other items. Definitely worth a browse.
The issues I had during this trip did not arise from the camps, but rather from private guide issues. We found the drivers knowledgeable in the wildlife-behavior and patterns, and good trackers.
Regarding the wildlife, I was very disappointed with the lack of Cheetahs. Botswana has the highest concentration of cheetahs in not only Africa, but the world, numbering around 1700. We saw NONE. Having been told by our booking agent we would certainly see Cheetahs, I was really irritated that we did not see any (though this has nothing to do with the camp). The thing is, Duba Plains is an extremely small conservancy, size wise. And what it felt like was one of those wild animal parks. So many visitors in such a small space has rendered the animals very easy to approach (because they are used to people), and that rather took away from the feeling that you were in the wild. And maybe that is because I only have Tanzania and the Serengeti to compare it to, but it isn't the same. We did see things that would've been hard to see in other places, like the very new baby rhino, and that was thrilling and I would not change that. The other thing that was a huge disappointment was the fact that there are no zebras. But again, has nothing to do with the lodge itself, only what you will see.
If what you are looking for is a place that you can see animals and still get a massage, shop in the gift shop, swim, do yoga, relax and all in first class accommodations in addition to a game drive here and there (or even twice a day, squeezing in the other stuff when you can), this is your place.
But if you really don't care what the accommodations are, and the game viewing is more important to you, then you might not need everything they offer.

Room tip: If you want to use the outdoor showers in your room, bring shower shoes as you never know what types of insects or arachnids will be present
Date of stay: January 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arnel G
Reviewed 22 May 2023

an incredible quality of service in this camp, perfectly located in the heart of Okavengo Delta. The suite was just perfect. The food also. All the staff paid a permanent attention to us. The safaris were 100% satisfaying also, by car or by boat: we met the Big 5 and plenty of other animals in perfect conditons.

Date of stay: May 2023
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 7 May 2023

The camp is one of our 2 favorites in Botswana for many reasons. In no order of preference. The tents are large, comfortable/opulent with a great plunge pool, refreshing in the PM. Game Drive from the deck is fun. Laundry is superior. Food by Chef Assistant is unique, brilliant and demonstration kitchen is fun. Unbelievable what he does in the middle of the bush. Most important. The concession is the most beautiful in the Delta for my purposes. Woodlands in the east, Delta floodplains in the west. Always great sightings, lion, male and female and cubs now growing from when we saw them 18 months ago. Wild dogs every day over the 4 days we were there. Leopard. Over 120 different birds species. Here at Duba and later at a sister camp of Great Plains, we encountered over 45 different mammals. Unbelievable, non-stop action. All of this was coordinated by the great work of our guides, Flame, Rapz and Aaron. All were brilliant guides and naturalists and Flame's work was as good as I have encountered during many experiences with African guides. Unique 5 star experience. Great value for money.

Room tip: All of the tents are great. Enjoy the demonstration kitchen one night.
Date of stay: April 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2023

With its own (dirt:) airstrip, this remote and flawless camp exceeded every conceivable expectation! The greeting from the staff was gracious and memorable (Queen-wins best smile and dimples) with singing and giant smiles, the ‘tent’ which is totally bespoke, huge and private, the meals whether in camp or in the bush were all perfectly prepared, the game drives both relaxing and thrilling…The setting is pristine, but it would pale without the staff...to a person they are warm, gracious, always with a big smile, and seemingly anticipate any request!
Special mention to the managers Mike and Tay, literally no request was too much! (Queen gets the prize for biggest smile and adorable dimples, while Cecilia gave us excellent massages with facials!)
But, we must express our deepest gratitude to our guides Flame and Tops. I am not sure where to begin, but they were with us for 4 days and nights…each day delivering our coffee at 5:30am, taking us on morning and then sundowner drives, then escorting us after dinner/dark back to our tents. They must have some measurement of eye sight greater than 20/20 because they saw stuff we couldn’t even see with binoculars until they got us up close! With their expert guidance, we were able to take full advantage of the mega cameras available to each of us capturing incredible shots/memories.
On our last evening instead of a drive, Flame and Tops took us on a thrilling flat boat ride along the meandering waterways zipping past lily pads, birds taking off from the water into the vast sky, crocodile, hippos, and even a leopard! Then we floated and had our sundowner before heading back watching the sky turn purple, red and orange, all reflecting in the water!
A perfect experience on one’s 60th birthday! When leaving the whole crew saw us off and several in our group was trying (not very well) to suppress water welling in our eyes.
A safari like we had at Duba Plains (and the sister camp in Kenya) changes you. It creates memories of a lifetime, it bonded our friendship with each other and connected us to a world of nature and humanity that deserves our respect and protection.
I strongly suggest staying 3 nights if you can, we stayed 4, which allowed us to have extra time to enjoy the views, the camp, the people and our tent:)

One important note…Before we came to this camp we stayed at a ‘sister’ camp in Kenya, Mara Plains Camp, which was equally fabulous.
You should know that both of these camps are ‘owned’ by Great Plains Conversancy and the mission of GPC ("to create innovative, world-class conservation projects in diverse and threatened habitats throughout Africa”) is crucial to securing protections of the land and habitat where each camp is located, with Duba focusing on the Okavango Delta (Botswana), and most importantly to the safety and protection of the animals that live there. They respect the local population, providing them with work and valuing their traditions and engaging them in the vital conservation efforts. It is important to support businesses that give back and invest in their communities, whether in Africa or at home.

Room tip: Stay a min of 3 nights...you will be glad you did.
Date of stay: March 2023