Mashatu Tent Camp
Gaborone Hotel(Gaborone)
Jumia Travel
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewstent campgame driveshigh teathe reservegreat sightingscable carborder postwalking safarioutdoor showerhot watereach morningunderground hidean optionwhole experienceafternoon drivedriver guideprofessional photographer
Reviewed 21 October 2017

We stayed here for two nights with a fabulous walking safari (Tuli Trails) organised by Mashatu in the middle. It was our first visit to the Tuli Conservation area and it won't be our last! Very well organised, from being met at the Port Drift border post (walked through immigration, car safely parked) to the very spacious and comfortable ensuite tent, complete with open air shower (camp is about an hour from the border) to the excellent food (dinners outside in a boma), an onsite hide overlooking a waterhole and truly excellent game drives in this vast, unspoilt wilderness - we were very well looked after. The guides go the extra mile to find the best sightings and the vehicles aren't over-crowded, with a strict code being enforced around the animals. Nice touches in camp including a large comfortable lapa / lounge, your own personalised water carriers and torches provided. It was over all too quickly.

Room Tip: Only 8 tents, all are good and well spaced with decks and spacious bathrooms
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vestysoffagain
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Some friends recommended this and we were not disappointed. A comfortable tented camp with such a friendly team, and welcoming home cooking! Our driver Jakes was very experienced, especially in finding the best angle for photos of the wildlife.He also had a great sense of humour! We would not hesitate in recommending Mashatu for its rich landscape, range of birds and animals and dedicated staff.

Room Tip: Try to get a tent by the river bed.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PW1T
Reviewed 19 October 2017

The Mashatu Tented Camp is creatively designed to be one with nature and it truly immerses the visitor into this very special wild-life area. Guests are treated to lovely raised en-suite tents with twin beds, power, fans, lock-box, wardrobe, chest, desk, a chair and stool, plus plenty of pillows, blankets and comforters. A large thermos of cold drinking water (no landfill filling plastic bottles), hair dryer, hand mirror, toiletries, bug sprays, flash-light/torch, and umbrellas are also provided, The creative outdoor shower/toilet facility provided a very pleasant one-with-nature experience without sacrificing modern amenities. The limited number of tents ensured our privacy and intimacy with nature, and it provided a perfect environment for our (small group) safari-workshop experience.

A large open-air thatched gazebo houses a comfortable lounge, bar and dining area. This is where our hosts' hospitality and their attention to detail was on full display! Delicious and beautifully presented foods are served buffet style 4x per day (small breakfast before the morning drive, big breakfast after the drive, high-tea before the afternoon drive and dinner after the drive in either the gazebo or boma). We enjoyed special touches like hot dinner plates presented with 'hot pads', and evening menu and dessert-of-the-day presentations. During our photo-safari-workshop with the talented and engaging professional photographer and nature-guide Trevor Kleyn and talented and engaging driver-guide Daniel, we were also treated to a beverage/snack stop before returning to camp each morning and a 'sun-downer' stop before returning to camp each evening.

If you enjoy photography, we highly recommend joining one of the C4 photo-guides at Mashatu, Trevor, their Mashatu resident guide ensured that we had a fun and productive workshop-safari in spite of very difficult and unseasonable weather.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seatraveler2
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Like many who have reviewed before, this was my first time at Mashatu, but most definitely not my last.
I was a solo traveller and when I arrived at camp for the first couple of nights I was the only one there. This made absolutely no difference to the services and hospitality that was offered. Every morning I was offered the complete selection of goodies at first thing, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Whilst the selection of foods (for breakfast, brunch, high-tea and dinner) varied each day the number of options available to me were no less than when others arrived in the camp during my stay. I was amazed on my first evening dinner when there was a complete buffet on offer, even though I was the only guest. I am not going to repeat all the other reviews that detail the food, all I will say is – absolutely fantastic.
Another nice touch was that during every meal, and especially at diner, Dan (my fantastic guide) along with other members of staff made it a point to eat with me and keep me entertained.
I have already mentioned Dan, but cannot recommend him and Commando, the tracker, more highly. These guys have forgotten more than most people will ever know about the wildlife and surroundings.
With the ability to go off the track, and with Dan's unbelievable driving skills there was absolutely nowhere that we did not go. Another thing that really impressed me was that Dan made a large point of understanding what I wanted to actually see, and with his superb knowledge of the animals and their behaviour he never failed to locate them and deliver magical experience after magical experience.

At this point I need to mention and highly recommend the 'rest stops' that we had on the game drives where the nibbles were superb and the drinks were what I had ordered earlier. They know where all the great spots are to have these rests, especially at sunset.

Just as impressive as the game drives, and a key reason for selecting Mashatu, were the hides for photography. I had a couple of sessions (one early and one late) and all I can say is that it is plainly obvious that they were designed by someone with a great understanding of photography. The hide was positioned perfectly at the water’s edge of the waterhole so that you would make the best use of the 'magic hour' lighting at sun rise and dusk and at no point were you shooting into the sun. At the hide, I was accompanied by Janet, who was amazing, not only was she incredibly knowledgeable about the wildlife, but being a professional photographer fully understood the ins and outs of photography and gave a number of invaluable pointers.
I was supposed to have one session in each of the hides, but on Janet’s recommendation I used the same hide twice, this decision was taken late in the evening, it was so nice that she really cared that I got to see as many animals as possible and knowing that we had seen a lot of wildlife on the first visit and that the other hide has been very quiet in the afternoon made the perfect call (even though that hade to make all the arrangements at the last minute). I lost count at about 20 – 30 elephants over the spate of an hour coming to the watering hole – an experience I will never forget.
At the camp itself there is a watering hole with a hide, so even in the ‘down time’ I could still take hundreds of photos at an amazing watering hole, that was literally 50 yards away from my tent.

I cannot commend all the staff enough, everyone went out the way to make my stay the best that it could be.

As a final note, I had to arranged a driver to transport me from the airfield in South Africa to the camp, however the driver could only go to the border (regular occurrence). This was not a problem as Dan was waiting at the border to pick me up. This is the first international border that I have gone across that has involved driving through a very wide deep river in a 4x4. It was no problem for them to drop me off for my return journey as well.

Room Tip: Any tent is fantastic - Make sure you have at least one session in the hide
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Mark J
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I did an indepth review of our first visit in February of this year so I won't go into the same detail as before.
This time our friends joined us who have lived in South Africa for the past 36 years and have visited many many game reserves during this time. A message we received from them once they were home and I quote...."Thanks for a stunning time, the best game viewing I've had in 36 years of going to game parks".
We were welcomed back by the staff not only as guests but as friends. A lovely warm, genuine welcome. Once again as requested we had Justice and Commando as guide and tracker. First class guide, tracker and men.
We had wonderful sightings, lots of predators with their kills, many with young cubs. The 2012 London Olympics had "super Saturday" we had " super Sunday", 3 of the most memorable hours of our lives.
We also spent 2 sessions in the Matebole Hide. It gives a unique view of the game and to sit back and allow the animals to come to you is very special.
So now we wait for another 28 weeks to pass when we shall return to Mashatu once again. It has captured our hearts.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends