All reviews water hole watering hole savute channel wild dogs desert delta game drives view of the water dining area evening hours warm towels safari lodge before dinner direct view sense of humour watch elephants three nights his knowledge
Reviewed 8 February 2018

Accommodation was comfortable without being luxurious but again the staff were great and food was lovely, but two things made this camp stand out. Firstly, there was our guide Baba, who is a legend among other guides and our similar sense of humour had us bouncing jokes off each other all day long making the game drives a real laugh, but they were also successful. Some os the less usual animals seen were a mole rat, bat ear foxes and the highlight so far, a family of four ardwolves. The second thing that made this camp stand out was the constant parade of elephants parading past our thatched chalet. Even though there was water everywhere the elephants still kept coming to the water hole because of the minerals contained in the water.I should point out though that the channel has stopped flowing again and the swamp has dried up.Perhaps the lodge and camp area could do with an uplift.

Room Tip: We were there for the wildlife so the slightly run down nature of the rooms didn't bother us.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Kerry R, Marketing Assistant at Savute Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Dear John M

Thank you for travelling through our circuit of camps and writing a review from each of your stays. The region of Savute is most definitely one of mystery, with the channel flowing and then drying up. No one knows when it will flow again even after all the wonderful rains we have had recently. The camp has also just had a soft refurb of the public areas so looking lovely. Thank you for the feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you again.

Kind regards
The Desert and Delta Safaris Team

Reviewed 7 January 2018

I just got back from Africa, and I wanted to write about the wonderful time my family and I had as guests of the Savute Safari Lodge over the end of the year.
We were picked up by our guide, who stayed with us during our entire stay (even though he teased me and said that he would only be with us for a day or two hahaha!), the outstanding Baba (more on him later). We drove about ten meters and stopped for our first game sighting, a pack of wild dogs lazing under a tree in the heat of the day, right next to the airstrip. The entire time at Savute was like that. There were literally animals everywhere we looked: the main inhabitants of this area are the elephants of course, and hippos and giraffes are also numerous. However, we were lucky to see lions, leopards and cheetahs too on this visit-- personally I think as much due to the efforts of Baba as luck.
But the lodge:
We drove up to the lodge and were greeted by singing. I honestly normally feel uncomfortable by this, but it was so nice and friendly that it felt welcoming and not forced. We washed our hands with wet cloths, and had a very good welcome drink as Letitia took us through the main area and into the bar/lounge to explain the safety rules and the daily schedules.
At first glance I was a little bit apprehensive because the lodge looks very dark and forbidding from the front. It is advertised as a kind of a tree house lodge, but the accommodation is not actually tree houses. I didn't understand this so was a little bit confused. They are built in a wooden A frame style, and are raised at the back so that you do have the feeling that they are off the ground, but in fact you won't be climbing any ladders to get inside or anything. The area is also quite shady, so on an overcast day it can feel a bit dark, but actually this is great because guests are protected from the harsh sunshine -- it is welcome after the game drives to be in the shade!
Also, the sitting area is a teensy bit worn in looking, which worried me during our welcome talk, because I was thinking that the rooms must look the same. However, when Letitia led us to our foresty villas, I was immediately enchanted. First of all, they are HUGE. More than enough space for two, or in the case of our grown children, three. They had a two bedroom villa and it was fabulous. A full bathroom for each bedroom as well. Our room had a comfortable bed with mosquito net (all the beds have them), a sitting area, desk, and a wardrobe with essentials in it, which we were encouraged to leave anything inside to keep away from the squirrels which do manage to come into the rooms. The bathroom had two sinks, a good shower and toilet with a decent water pressure. The rooms also provide a good hair dryer, which I used. Interior decoration is gorgeous.
There is wifi only in the common area, which isn't great, but it does make it easier to get to know people. I did wish that there was a way to contact the other rooms so that we could talk to our kids at night, but in the end it wasn't a big problem.
The squirrels in the rooms were not a big deal. We had one in our room, once, and then it just left, I guess. Didn't touch anything, just stayed by the ceiling. The squirrels came and went for the kids too -- since the roof is thatched, I imagine that it isn't easy to keep that animal proof. Anyway it ended up not being a huge problem.
But the rooms are beautifully decorated, very comfortable, and the villas are substantial, so you feel protected from the wildlife that you are hearing every night outside the door. That's why I gave sleep quality one less star haha, because of the animals outside not because of the beds!
The food is delicious, and is always presented by the men and women who work every day to make us feel welcome and comfortable. I noticed that the staff at Savute took pains to keep the food covered and as fresh as possible during serving. The dining area overlooks a manmade watering hole, but since this is the time of year that there is rain, not too many animals came by the hole; only elephants made a regular appearance. Which was still wonderful, as they were basically right in front of you.
Game drives are fun, two per day, we were alone with Baba as we were 5 people. I have to say, we had such a great time with him, it was hard to leave. All of the guides are great, I feel badly saying that Baba was the best, because I heard other guides talking to their groups in the vehicles, like Frank or Coca or Gwahni (I know I spelled that totally wrong but tried anyway haha), and they are also very nice and capable and wonderful. But somehow Baba brings something to the table that is like that little bit extra. He is hilarious, in a dry way, and his knowledge of the bush is very extensive. He searched and searched for the cats, every day, and when he heard we wanted to see cheetahs, we went looking for them first. Just little things like that. He always turned the vehicle so the sun wasn't in our eyes, made sure the branches didn't hit us in the face, and he also did something so wonderful for each of our three kids that my husband and I will never forget. Baba basically made this stay even nicer than it already was.
If you are looking for a place to stay in the Okavango Delta, Savute Safari Lodge is a great choice. It has a perfect mix of welcoming hospitality, comfortable luxury, good food, and authentic animal experiences (not Disney safari being served up to you).

Room Tip: I always want to stay close to the main house, so you don't have to wait so long for the guards to come get you at night.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank heavycat69
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

We visited Savute six years ago and so enjoyed it there that we decided to visit again on our recent trip to Botswana. This time the Savute Channel was dry, but there were still plenty of animals that came down to the pumped waterhole. Our room overlooked the end of this waterhole. The accommodation had been refurbished in the intervening years and whilst it was a little dark in the room it was still comfortable. Power is a mixture of mains provided by a generator for part of the time and battery for the rest. Meals are mainly provided on the decking area overlooking the waterhole. There is also a restaurant area, but during our stay that was only used for a light breakfast before the morning game drive. Our guide Metal was with us for our 3 day stay and treated us to many sightings including lions, leopards, elephants, hippos, giraffe, plus many other animals as well as loads of bird sightings. We were initially disappointed that the channel and marsh were dry, but this provided a different, but equally enjoyable experience from our previous visit. If the water returns so will we!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank nedgop2018
Reviewed 3 December 2017

The animal sightings are fantastic here. There were so many of them that it's difficult to remember them all. Lions, leopard with aardwolf it had killed, massive numbers of elephants, hyena den, cheetahs, and many, many others. The lodge itself was a bit disappointing, however. The room was kind of worn plus burned out lights. Maybe the breeze was the wrong way our first lunch there, but there were lots of flies and birds getting to the lunch -- but much less of a problem at later meals. Food was pretty good overall. The service level was just somewhat below that of the other two camps we had stayed at in a similar price category. When paying this much, things should be sharp, not so-so. As another example, I remember seeing one of our fellow guests using a broom to clean up the pool area and also cleaning leaves out of the pool. At the price, the crew should have the pool area spic and span for that one time of day, after lunch, when guests will want to use the pool. Someone told me that the lodge was due for a refurb, so maybe some of the shabbiness will be taken care of before long.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelerBobDc
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Savute Safari Lodge is part of the Desert and Delta Safaris group, and like the others we have stayed at, the accommodations were excellent as well as the food, but the thing we were after and that we appreciated the most were the game drives led by a knowledgable and accommodating guide. We were very pleased.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Kerry R, Marketing Assistant at Savute Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Dear Tim F
Thank you for another great review from one of our lodge. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the guides and found them to be most knowledgeable. The area of Savute is a great place to see many different interactions with wildlife and having the guides available to get you in the right place at the right time is fantastic. I will be sure to share with the team.
Kind regards