All reviewsgreat hostsgreat bartwo nightsfeel at homefriendly ownerselectric blanketsshark divefish factorygreat white sharksold friendsa great staywhale watchinggarden routedelicious breakfastsmall poolstayed for one nightstayed longer
Reviewed 26 May 2016

This place was recommended to me by a local company. I stayed here for two nights with my brother and had an excellent experience. Nice, clean, well managed. The owners, Caron and Dave, catered to all our needs beyond what can be expected and helped out with the local cuisine. There are several good restaurants within walking distance. There is a cute cat and dog around, both of are well behaved. We had several nice talks and learned a lot about Gansbaai & South Africa here. The bar is well equipped and has many memorabilia from previous (more or less famous) guests. We still need to test the chili tequila.

From the outside area there is a very good sea view.

Hope to be back soon again!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Caron L, Owner at Saxon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

It was a great pleasure to host you and your brother at the lodge and we really enjoyed spending time with you in the bar talking about your world and ours. Thank you for sharing and choosing to stay the extra day, we are most grateful. We look forward to your future visit with your wife.

Reviewed 25 May 2016

Da anni ormai soggiorno al Saxon Lodge periodicamente, per visitare la costa sudafricana con tutte le sue bellezze paesaggistiche e faunistiche (grandi squali bianchi, balene, delfini, otarie e molto altro). Il Saxon Lodge è la mia casa, Dave e Caron - i gestori - sono la mia famiglia sudafricana. Non potrò mai descrivere appieno la loro simpatia, generosità e bontà, persone così meravigliose le incontri raramente sul tuo percorso e conoscerli è stato un ennesimo regalo che questo splendido Paese mi ha donato. Se soggiornerete al Saxon Lodge troverete privacy, camere molto grandi, bellissime, pulitissime e accessoriate (wifi internet, phon, shampoo, bagnoschiuma, saponette,asciugamani puliti ogni giorno, non vi preoccupate delle prese della corrente, hanno gli adattatori per le nostre spine). Un'altra grande sorpresa è stata il cibo: Caron è una cuoca straordinaria per qualunque piatto (e Dave e' il re della carne!), per non parlare dei dolci che per me sono praticamente un miracolo! Se siete vegetariani o celiaci non avete di che preoccuparvi, basta avvisarli prima. Ogni anno torno da loro, sono appena rientrata da dieci giorni fantastici e a settembre sarò di nuovo lì. Non posso far altro che ringraziarli di cuore, w Dave e Caron, w il Saxon Lodge!!!

I've been at Saxon Lodge for many years now, to visit the south african coast with all its landscapes and animal beauties (great white sharks, whales, dolphins, seals and much more). The Saxon Lodge is my house, Dave and Caron - the owners - are my south african family. I will never be able to describe completely their pleasantness, generosity and kindness, you rarely meet such beautiful people and meeting them has been another great gift from this beautiful country. If you are going to stay at the Saxon Lodge you will find privacy, big nice clean and super-accessorized rooms (wifi internet, hair drier, shampoo, shower cream, soaps, fresh towels every day... and don't worry about wall power socket, they have adapters for your plug). Food was another big surprise: Caron is a truly extraordinay chef for every dish she prepares (and Dave is the king of meat!), especially for the sweets that are quite a miracle to me! If you are vegetarian or celiac you have nothing to worry about, just tell them in advance. Every year I come back to them, I just came back from ten fantastic days and I will be there again in september. I can't do anything but thank them with all my heart, long live Dave and Caron, long live the Saxon Lodge!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Caron L, Owner at Saxon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

I feel so blessed when I read your review, thank you for sharing such beautiful words with the world about us and our space. I am always so happy to see you when you arrive and equally sad when you leave and this year gets to be super special because you will be here again in September...so looking forward to that!

Reviewed 22 May 2016

The Saxon Lodge overlooks the harbour and sitting in their calm & charming garden makes you forget the hustle of the outside world. Caron & Dave are excellent hosts and never short on recommendations on where to eat or what to see in the area. It definitely feels like you're staying with friends rather than at a guesthouse.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Caron L, Owner at Saxon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

Thank you Heidi, you as many of our guests present yourselves as friends so very easy to reciprocate.

Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

We paid a whistle stop visit to Saxon Lodge in March, it was atrocious weather, but the welcome we received made up for it.
As animal lovers we felt immediately at home with the friendly dogs and cats wandering around, I was introduced to the famous Fynbos Gin in the little bar and my only regret was not picking some up before leaving for Wales!
The apartment was roomy and comfortable, unfortunately, due to the weather we were unable to make the most of a private verandah with views of the harbour.
As we were late and had not eaten, our hosts rang around a couple of local eateries to find somewhere for us to have dinner and also made last minute arrangements for us to go out on a boat trip the next morning, which was appreciated.
Breakfast was varied and offered high quality food which catered for most tastes.(and plenty of it!)
We regretted only having time for one night at Saxon Lodge,the company of our hosts alone would have justified at least one more night!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Caron L, Owner at Saxon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

Thank you for the lovely review. Hopefully if you fnd yourself back in SA you will come spend a little more time with us so we can show you some of our special treasures

Reviewed 16 May 2016

A warm welcome, spectacular view, tranquil garden and pool area, cosy bar, comfortable bed and excellent location. Couldn't ask for anything more. We arrived as guests and left feeling like friends, just wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Caron L, Owner at Saxon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

Thank you Sacha. I have spent long hours reading Ian's Marineman - what talent he has. I really hope that you will find your way back here so we can spend some more time together.