“No Sharks ”

Half-Day White Shark Cage Diving from Gansbaai
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Shark Projects welcomes local and international tourists, divers and non-divers … anyone who wishes to encounter, dive with, or view white sharks in a safe and professional environment. White Shark Projects was established in 1989 and is a world-leading organisation that focuses on the conservation of great white sharks through responsible tourism and research. Expect excellent customer service, good value and operational efficiency.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

One of the highlights of my trip that I️ was looking forward to... but was extremely disappointed. Got to see the big 5 on my safari and Victoria Falls but no sharks on my shark expedition. I️ flew from California for this once in a lifetime opportunity. Got picked up at 4:30am for a 2 hour ride from Cape Town. Arrived at the location and had a quick explanation of the safety instructions and excitement to come of seeing great white sharks. Breakfast was nothing to write home about... didn’t care, wanted to see sharks. We were given our gear before getting on the boat - wet suits and life jacket. Was in the first group to get in the cage with 5 men. While in the cage, one of the men threw up. Actually hoped this would encourage the sharks to come. We stayed in the cage for 15- 20 mins. Nothing. We were the only group to even get in the cage on our boat. It appeared the boat near us was getting some action, so we jumped in the cage. Nothing. There was an expedition immediate after us with room for one person, a guy from our tour went.... stayed in touch with him and found out a month later, he didn’t see sharks on his second try. Found out he and his wife went to Moussel Bay and saw 5 great whites!! At the airport a week later, found out other tourists had the same experience, no Sharks. We were given vouchers to come back again. How likely is it that I️ come back +30 hours via plane for a shark expedition again?? Specially knowing that the man I️ met on my expedition tried again and same results- no Sharks. This was a wasted day..

Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Greetings from Shark Team.

I am delighted that you got to see the Big 5 at Victoria Falls - it is a truly beautiful place.
I also completely understand your frustration and disappointment at not seeing any Great Whites on your tour with us.

During this unusual time, we advised all of our clients, at least a day prior to their tour, of the current non-sightings. This allowed clients, such as yourself, the opportunity to cancel or postpone their tour.
Being a shark lover, I am sure that you know that Great Whites are incredibly nomadic and do not reside in a specific area.
Yes, it is true that Mossel Bay has had some good sightings lately, but they too suffer from "shark droughts" from time to time. And then it would seem that 'all' the sharks are in Gansbaai.
Since Great Whites like to cruise near the ocean floor, it is impossible for us to judge from shore whether there are any sharks around - the only way for us to know for sure is to run a tour. Sightings vary from day to day, even from one tour to the next. No two tours are the same, and just because we had no sightings on one day/tour, does not mean that we will not have any sharks on the next day or tour.

I sincerely hope that you will indeed find yourself back in South Africa in the near future and that you would allow us the opportunity to introduce you to the magnificent Great White Shark in all its glory.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We did not see one shark all day. The trip was sold to us that this was shark alley beaming with lots sharks. We weren't told until there we would be lucky to see one or two had we known we wouldn't have gone and wasted 10 hours. On top of that food was very poor so came home starving and the driver picked up
What appeared to be a friend for the 2.5 hour drive home. A friend who spoke the entire time and was so extremely loud we couldn't even rest. A friend went two weeks
before also didn't see a shark but was given a pass to come back redeemable within 2 years. We didn't receive this. Wish they told us before getting there they had seen one shark in two weeks we wouldn't have bothered wasting a day of driving for nothing!!!

Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Good morning,
Thank you for your review and thank you for bringing these anomalies to my attention. Please allow me some time to look into these - rest assured that appropriate action will be taken.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I made these arrangements quite far in advance to ensure we could fit it into our Capetown itinerary. Unfortunetely we arrived in town and it rained for the enterity of our 3 day stay. We received an email Sunday night for our Tuesday morning excursion that it was cancelled. Although we were very disappointed wind and sea conditions were just too rough. A lot of our other planned outdoor activities were also cancelled. We were leaving town wednesday and unfortunetely could not make the reschedule date work. Monika and the staff made the booking process easy and were helpful and very responsive. It is a shame we couldn’t partake in their service but thankful they gave us enough notice to be able to book a winery trip instead. My recommendation would be to make your excursion earlier in your stay in case the weather rains on your parade. Capetown is also experiencing a serious drought so the positive is we brought the rain from NY. :) We also came towards the end of winter so this is the risk you take this time of year. Still recommend them and hope to return some day and see some sharks!

Greetings from Shark Team!
Thank you for your review! We appreciate it so much!
It is very disappointing that you could not join us on board, thank you for being understanding.
I cannot agree with you more - it is definitely a good idea to book this activity early in your itinerary, so that you may have a few days to play with, in case of bad weather.
Thank you for complimenting us on our service, it means so much to us.
I trust that you enjoyed your visit to South Africa!?

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I was happy with the knowledge of the guide, and felt safe on the boat and in the cage. I was quite unhappy with the 4am pickup time (since I had been told when I booked that the earliest would be 4:30am), the van reeking of cigarette smoke, no announcement or direction to change into our bathing suits ahead of time (which resulted in most guests changing openly in front of each other in a cramped space on a pitching boat), and no warning ahead of time and/or prompt by the van driver to take Dramamine as soon as we were picked up (so I didn't take it until too late, and got seasick). Friends who went with a different company didn't have these problems, and had what sounded like a much more pleasant time.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Greetings from Shark Team!

We thank you for your review and for bringing your concerns to our attention.
I am glad that you were happy with our guide's knowledge, I am just sad to hear about all these other little logistics and nothing about the sharks.
Yes, unfortunately, it is an early pickup time, and since we work with the ocean and have to adjust according to her conditions, the wind etc, our times may vary sometimes.
As for the Dramamine, I am sure that the pharmaceutical company instructs you on the product information pamphlet as to when to take the tablets.
It is however unfortunate that you were not advised to change into your swimwear prior to boarding the boat, as this is custom - rest assured that we will look into this matter.
I hope that despite these matters, that your memories of the sharks will remind you of what is truly important.
Please take care of yourself and our oceans...