“Terrible”

Half-Day White Shark Cage Diving from Gansbaai
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Shark Projects welcomes local and international tourists, divers and non-divers … anyone who wishes to encounter, dive with, or view white sharks in a safe and professional environment. White Shark Projects was established in 1989 and is a world-leading organisation that focuses on the conservation of great white sharks through responsible tourism and research. Expect excellent customer service, good value and operational efficiency.
Reviewed 18 October 2017

We did not see one shark all day. The trip was sold to us that this was shark alley beaming with lots sharks. We weren't told until there we would be lucky to see one or two had we known we wouldn't have gone and wasted 10 hours. On top of that food was very poor so came home starving and the driver picked up
What appeared to be a friend for the 2.5 hour drive home. A friend who spoke the entire time and was so extremely loud we couldn't even rest. A friend went two weeks
before also didn't see a shark but was given a pass to come back redeemable within 2 years. We didn't receive this. Wish they told us before getting there they had seen one shark in two weeks we wouldn't have bothered wasting a day of driving for nothing!!!

Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Good morning,
Thank you for your review and thank you for bringing these anomalies to my attention. Please allow me some time to look into these - rest assured that appropriate action will be taken.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I made these arrangements quite far in advance to ensure we could fit it into our Capetown itinerary. Unfortunetely we arrived in town and it rained for the enterity of our 3 day stay. We received an email Sunday night for our Tuesday morning excursion that it was cancelled. Although we were very disappointed wind and sea conditions were just too rough. A lot of our other planned outdoor activities were also cancelled. We were leaving town wednesday and unfortunetely could not make the reschedule date work. Monika and the staff made the booking process easy and were helpful and very responsive. It is a shame we couldn’t partake in their service but thankful they gave us enough notice to be able to book a winery trip instead. My recommendation would be to make your excursion earlier in your stay in case the weather rains on your parade. Capetown is also experiencing a serious drought so the positive is we brought the rain from NY. :) We also came towards the end of winter so this is the risk you take this time of year. Still recommend them and hope to return some day and see some sharks!

Greetings from Shark Team!
Thank you for your review! We appreciate it so much!
It is very disappointing that you could not join us on board, thank you for being understanding.
I cannot agree with you more - it is definitely a good idea to book this activity early in your itinerary, so that you may have a few days to play with, in case of bad weather.
Thank you for complimenting us on our service, it means so much to us.
I trust that you enjoyed your visit to South Africa!?

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Reviewed 7 October 2017

I was happy with the knowledge of the guide, and felt safe on the boat and in the cage. I was quite unhappy with the 4am pickup time (since I had been told when I booked that the earliest would be 4:30am), the van reeking of cigarette smoke, no announcement or direction to change into our bathing suits ahead of time (which resulted in most guests changing openly in front of each other in a cramped space on a pitching boat), and no warning ahead of time and/or prompt by the van driver to take Dramamine as soon as we were picked up (so I didn't take it until too late, and got seasick). Friends who went with a different company didn't have these problems, and had what sounded like a much more pleasant time.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Greetings from Shark Team!

We thank you for your review and for bringing your concerns to our attention.
I am glad that you were happy with our guide's knowledge, I am just sad to hear about all these other little logistics and nothing about the sharks.
Yes, unfortunately, it is an early pickup time, and since we work with the ocean and have to adjust according to her conditions, the wind etc, our times may vary sometimes.
As for the Dramamine, I am sure that the pharmaceutical company instructs you on the product information pamphlet as to when to take the tablets.
It is however unfortunate that you were not advised to change into your swimwear prior to boarding the boat, as this is custom - rest assured that we will look into this matter.
I hope that despite these matters, that your memories of the sharks will remind you of what is truly important.
Please take care of yourself and our oceans...

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I would recommend the White Shark Projects for a cage dive in South Africa. Thrill of a lifetime! You really have to see it for yourself to fully understand and appreciate these creatures. Beautiful! I would do it again without hesitation. Great guide - a marine biologist who obviously loves his job! He provided great insight into the great white sharks as well as other species and creatures of the sea. Added so much to the adventure.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Greetings from Shark Team!

Thank you Lynn, your review has just brightened my Monday morning!
I am delighted that you enjoyed this "experience of a lifetime" with us and the amazing Great White Sharks.
Yes, our Marine Biologist most definitely is very passionate about sharks and the ocean as a whole - I trust that his enthusiasm will inspire you to remain the shark ambassador that you have become!
May the memories of your adventure with us remain forever vivid and clear.
Please take care of yourself and our oceans...