“Good shark knowledge, poor trip logistics”

White Shark Projects
Half-Day White Shark Cage Diving from Gansbaai
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Gansbaai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Shark Projects welcomes local and international tourists, divers and non-divers … anyone who wishes to encounter, dive with, or view white sharks in a safe and professional environment. White Shark Projects was established in 1989 and is a world-leading organisation that focuses on the conservation of great white sharks through responsible tourism and research. Expect excellent customer service, good value and operational efficiency.
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I was happy with the knowledge of the guide, and felt safe on the boat and in the cage. I was quite unhappy with the 4am pickup time (since I had been told when I booked that the earliest would be 4:30am), the van reeking of cigarette smoke, no announcement or direction to change into our bathing suits ahead of time (which resulted in most guests changing openly in front of each other in a cramped space on a pitching boat), and no warning ahead of time and/or prompt by the van driver to take Dramamine as soon as we were picked up (so I didn't take it until too late, and got seasick). Friends who went with a different company didn't have these problems, and had what sounded like a much more pleasant time.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Greetings from Shark Team!

We thank you for your review and for bringing your concerns to our attention.
I am glad that you were happy with our guide's knowledge, I am just sad to hear about all these other little logistics and nothing about the sharks.
Yes, unfortunately, it is an early pickup time, and since we work with the ocean and have to adjust according to her conditions, the wind etc, our times may vary sometimes.
As for the Dramamine, I am sure that the pharmaceutical company instructs you on the product information pamphlet as to when to take the tablets.
It is however unfortunate that you were not advised to change into your swimwear prior to boarding the boat, as this is custom - rest assured that we will look into this matter.
I hope that despite these matters, that your memories of the sharks will remind you of what is truly important.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I would recommend the White Shark Projects for a cage dive in South Africa. Thrill of a lifetime! You really have to see it for yourself to fully understand and appreciate these creatures. Beautiful! I would do it again without hesitation. Great guide - a marine biologist who obviously loves his job! He provided great insight into the great white sharks as well as other species and creatures of the sea. Added so much to the adventure.

Greetings from Shark Team!

Thank you Lynn, your review has just brightened my Monday morning!
I am delighted that you enjoyed this "experience of a lifetime" with us and the amazing Great White Sharks.
Yes, our Marine Biologist most definitely is very passionate about sharks and the ocean as a whole - I trust that his enthusiasm will inspire you to remain the shark ambassador that you have become!
May the memories of your adventure with us remain forever vivid and clear.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Pickup was arranged through our hotel, was on time, and the driver was friendly and professional. One downside was an Argentinian couple who were not ready on time, and several porters were sent to check on them. Keep in mind pickup from Cape Town is early, around 4:00 AM in order to make it to the launch site at the right time. Due to their tardiness, the driver was then under pressure to make the deadline and drove at a speed that made the journey there uncomfortable. (About 2 hours). It really would have been better for management to release him to leave instead of holding up the hold van for this one couple.

That said, on arrival, there is a good introduction and light food available, although I don't recommend filling up if you're susceptible to sea sickness. After bathroom breaks, everyone heads out to get a lifejacket and board. Now, I know personal preferences vary, but from my perspective, they put too many people on the boat. There are several crew and deck hands, along with near 20 passengers.

The space is pretty cramped, and in that space your do this kind of awkward ballet of getting wet suits, stowing gear, changing, re-arranging, etc. People are getting sea sick, the chummer is grinding, etc. For those not accustomed to the ocean, I would think twice about jumping into something like this.

They did their best to attract the sharks, but nature was not cooperating. That is fine, that is beyond their control. For compensation, they offer a voucher to return, non peak season. Ok, so for people like us traveling from the states who will probably not be in South Africa again that is basically worthless. It would probably make sense to issue just a partial refund as you basically lose a day of your trip.

All in all, they seem like a good outfit that care about the animals, but I probably wouldn't return.

Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Greetings from Shark Team!

We thank you for your review, as it helps us to keep our service levels as high as we'd like them to be, and as high as our clients expect them to be.
Thank you for complimenting our driver, even though I know how excruciating it is to sit and wait for other clients who are not ready.
Apologies for the uncomfortable drive though.

Our boat is licenced to take 36 passengers, but, exactly because of the reasons which you've pointed out, we have chosen to limit ourselves to 20 clients, with 5 crew members.

I am sorry that you did not get to meet any Great Whites on your excursion, I can imagine your disappointment; thank you though for understanding that Nature is not under our control.
Yes, we are passionate about our sharks, and we are always grateful even to just see one of these incredible animals. I hope that you will indeed have the opportunity to come back and meet them for yourself.
Please take care of yoursefl and our oceans.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

I went out to Gaans Bai early on September 10th morning which is the best time to see the Great Whites just after sunrise. And this outfit was right. I got in on the 2nd group cage dive & got to see up close the biggest of recent sharks in the area named Scarlet who was still around.

They take you out to a local spot 15 minutes away approximately after going over a briefing and enjoying a light breakfast. They provide refreshments and snacks while in between dives before heading back to shore.

I would highly recommend this company to anyone, very professional.

Aaron

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Wsprojects, Guest Relations Manager at White Shark Projects, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Aaron,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate it!
I'm so glad that you got to meet Scarlet - isn't she amazing!?
Thank you for complimenting us on our professionalism, it means so much to us.
I hope you will remember your day in Gansbaai for many years to come.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

The staff was well equipped and explained everything necessary for people's safety. The company puts a lot of effort into not intruding the animals in any way, as they are not feeding them and support projects that preserve the sharks habitat and inform people about common threats to the sharks.
I only missed some more detailles explanations on the sharks hunting behaviour and the myths that exist about it in society. All in all it was a safe and intense experience, being this close the animal!

Greetings from Shark Team!

I am happy that you enjoyed such an amazing experience with us and I am glad that you appreciated the way we do things.
Yes, changing the myths and people's beliefs about sharks is a continuous process for us - we believe that shark cage diving helps people to see the shark of "fact" and not the shark of "fiction".
Thank you for writing us this review, we appreciate it.