Critchley Hackle Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Fortis Hotel Malaga(Waterval Boven)
Falcon Glen(Schoemanskloof)
Bushveld Lodge(Nelspruit)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Budget Inn(Sabie)
View Hotel
All reviewsa small sitting areanice dinnersmall laketrout damrustic stylegreat view of the lakecold meatsboutique hotelrooms are greatunderfloor heatingthe cottagesold schoolbeautiful venuenext morningthe general managerfly fishingspent one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2016

Recently visited the Critchly and spent a really relaxing weekend there. The hotel has on Old School feel to it, laid back. The rooms all have a great view of the lake around which the hotel is located and although slightly worn they have a homely feeling. The restaurant served up a really good meal, dominated of course by the local specialty - Trout. All the rooms are great.

Room Tip: If the weather is wet stay closer to the reception area.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

A beautiful venue however I think the place needs a revamp. The decor is old and dreary and lacking some energy.
The staff were very friendly and service orientated. Food was good .
Rooms were clean and comfortable but I do think a fresher decor is required .

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2016

The restaurant at this boutique hotel in in the seriously upper class. Superbly presented delicious food, with an interestingly different wine list.
The hotel is set around a trout dam, right in the village - and has units for private ownership. Fantastic

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2016

Wonderful week end in Dullstroom. Make sure you sample the Anvil ale, they received a gold medal for their beer. The location of Critchley Hackle is wonderful as you can walk to every shop in town. There is a Milleys trout shop just next to the lodge where you can buy fresh trout products.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 October 2016

I really hate giving poor reviews to places I have stayed over many years of travel to South Africa but for me Critchley Hackle lost its shine about 3 years ago. For years I use to stay here on my way to Kruger National Park - the village of Dullstroom was always enchanting with beautiful scenery and some quaint shops like Village ceramics ( which no longer exists). Apart from the fact Dullstroom has become very commercialised CH has changed management a couple of times.

This past October I thought I would give it another chance but alas was disappointed. Check in was ok and our Garden room was comfortable enough. I was however disappointed to be given a room with absolutely no view - although there was only 4 other rooms occupied when we were there. One of the beautiful things about this Lodge is the view of the lake - we couldn't book a lakeview room as they don'f fit children so had to settle for a garden room but some definitely have better views of the lake than others.

Dinner (3 courses) was ok but service so ridiculously slow - especially when only 3 other people eating dinner.Hate to think what happens when its full. My son was allowed to choose from the a la carte menu as I explained he would not be able to do justice to 3 courses. Next morning breakfast was so terrible had to actually send the eggs benedict with salmon back as inedible and my eggs was inedible but as I was anxious to get moving I just pushed it to the side. Shame as breakfast at CH used to be such a highlight.

My son did enjoy trying his hand at fly fishing on the lake for an hour and I was presented with a posy of fresh flowers picked from the garden for my birthday which was a lovely touch.

Our car wasn't washed on check out but we did leave at 9.am.

Overall too many service inconsistencies to rate higher and we won't be back.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family