Amakhosi Safari Lodge
Ghost Mountain Inn(Mkuze)(Great Value!)
US$145
Elegant Lodge(Pongola)
Kastelein B&B(Pongola)
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe rivergame driveshoneymoon suitehigh teaattention to detailherd of elephantsmorning drivesafari lodgehot water bottlesamazing experiencesense of humoursouth africacourse dinnerplunge poolfood was amazinglarge deckcoffee break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Everything about our stay was perfect - the rooms were divine : roomy , comfortable , luxurious (relaxing in the spa whilst a hippo walked by)
The food was excellent - the wine list was small , the wines excellent , the prices very reasonable.
The staff were outstanding.
Our guide , Jacques , was funny , friendly , hospitable & very knowledgeable on fauna , flora & culture. We saw so many animals - amazingly close & diverse.
I could not suggest any improvements

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Amakhositeam, Director of Sales at Amakhosi Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2017

Great way to start my Friday with such a lovely review, thank you so much and we are so happy that you did enjoy your stay and even managed to relax with a hippo sighting!! We appreciate you mentioning all the departments that made your stay a memorable one and we have passed on your compliments to our management and owners. We hope the next time you are in our area that you do visit us again. Fond Regards the Amakhosi Team

Reviewed 27 February 2017

What an amazing experience. From the start we were welcomed with big smiles. The hospitality is amazing. This lodge definitely pays attention to detail. The food is exceptional. The rooms are very spacious and private with an outdoor shower. The rangers are very professional and I felt very safe with the rangers even when we had close encounters with the lions and elephant. The staff is extremely friendly and I truly had a wonderful African experience. We did not have the best weather however the lodge did accommodate us with game drives and we had amazing sightings. During the day it's very peaceful so bring along some books and your binoculars. There is a swimming pool to keep kids busy however I won't recommend for small children.
Thank you for an amazing stay.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Amakhositeam, Director of Sales at Amakhosi Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2017

Thank you and thank you again for taking the time to post such a lovely review we really appreciate it and really happy that you had a wonderful experience. We hope that next time you are in our area you visit us again. Fond Regards the Amakhosi Team

Reviewed 27 February 2017

If you're looking for a bush experience like no other, where you are guaranteed outstanding service from arrival to departure, food that will delight your taste buds, restful nights sleep and game viewing sightings beyond your wildest imagination - look no further. Amakhosi not only met my expectations, but exceeded them. I would highly recommend it to anyone who was looking for some much needed time away. I look forward to returning one day, someday soon.

Room Tip: Beware of the notice advising of Bushbabies and don't leave out any tasty treats!
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business

Thank yo so much for your kind words and for taking the time to post this lovely review, we really appreciate it and so do the entire team, it is what motivates us even more to give of our best, as we want our guests to leave as friends and with memorable experiences. Hope to see you soon again Fond regards the Amakhosi Team

Reviewed 27 February 2017

We had the most beautiful stay at Amakhosi. On arrival, we felt welcome immediately and for the entire stay the staff were friendly and accommodating. Nothing was too much for them. Our ranger S'bu was so professional and so kind. We felt completely safe with him on our game drives and were in awe of his knowledge of the bush and the surroundings. Our tracker, Zakhele was also brilliant. The lodge offers 5 star accommodations, with views of the river- the most tranquil spot to watch wildlife. And what can I say about the food- wow! Lindo was also fantastic. Thank you Amakhosi!

Room Tip: All rover view suites face the river
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends

Wow what a stunning review, thank you for taking the time to post it, we are really happy that you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed every aspect of our property, we hope that this has left you wanting more and that we see you soon again. Fond Regards the Amakhosi team

Reviewed 6 February 2017

Tucked away just outside of Pongola is the authentically African Amakhosi Safari Lodge. Cold towels and a fresh juice upon arrival were happily welcomed as the sun and heat favour Amakhosi. The entrance into the lodge brings with it an earthy feel. As one walks out onto the deck, the view of the Mkuze River is a sight to behold, and eating out on the deck at night, with such a spectacular view is a treat.

The room I stayed in was the River Suite. The hammock was one of my favourite touches. Reading a book and listening to the flowing Mkuze river is relaxing and unwinds a busy mind. The bed has a net on it which keeps out the mosquitoes. Comfort is an understatement… The bed is so comfortable with snug fluffy pillows that promise a great night’s sleep. There is a lounge area with a well-stocked mini-bar and tea and coffee making facilities. The shower is very spacious and there is also an outdoor shower for the more adventurous. The rooms are so well decorated with African art and are well lit with the high glass doors and windows, allowing panoramic views.

There is no comparable feeling quite as exhilarating as watching a cheetah racing, and then hearing their adorable call. It’s quite difficult to watch them without affection after hearing that precious and delicate call. Then to the other extreme, a male lion roaring for his pride to join him, while parked a safe distance away, vibrating the entire valley with the resounding echo.

I was lucky enough to witness a baby elephant trying to use his trunk… cute doesn’t even begin to describe it! While I would dare to call a baby elephant cute, a full grown one on the other hand is nothing short of magnificent. The strength in their trunks embodies the strength of the beautiful giants.

The ultimate show in luxury was stopping at the top of one of the many hills, and viewing the landscape from above whilst sipping a crisp South African wine and snacking on biltong, crisps and nuts. It’s a lovely break during the game drive and also a chance to take in the splendour of the game farm. The game ranger and tracker were knowledgeable, well-trained and experts in their field, providing a great feeling of safety.

What would a 5* game reserve be like without mouth-watering decadence? I am personally a lover of cheese, and there was what seemed like a never ending supply of exotic cheeses, as well as succulent fruit, delicious pastries and cakes. For the fish lovers, salmon is a lovely touch with the morning breakfast, something I enjoyed. The four course dinner left my belly full and my appetite pleased. Not only was the food excellent, but so was the service. The service is anticipatory. By the end of the first night, the barman knew what I wanted to drink, as well as that I had a taste for biltong and provided me with a little biltong snack.

I splurged a little and decided to be pampered with a heavenly massage. To feel the stresses of everyday life slowly melt away while having my shoulders and neck massaged, brought along with it my surrender to bliss and relaxation.

The absolute highlight of my stay at Amakhosi, as if seeing so much wildlife and having an abundance of cheese wasn’t enough, was getting engaged. The location is so incredibly beautiful that it is the perfect place for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: I loved the River Suites. They are the entry level rooms, but they feel like 5 star luxury.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicolepoupard
Amakhositeam, Guest Relations Manager at Amakhosi Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to post this detailed review on your stay, from what we read you have many, many memorable moments and this is what makes our work worthwhile, knowing that our guests enjoyed every aspect of their stay and we hope this leaves you wanting more and next time you need an escape from the city, you come back and visit us. A copy of your review has been sent to our owner and is also up on the notice board of our meeting room, so all can appreciate that their hard work has been noticed. Sending you fondest regards The Amakhosi Team.