“AMA-zing time in Amakhosi”

Amakhosi Safari Lodge
Durban, South Africa
“AMA-zing time in Amakhosi”
Reviewed 27 February 2017

If you're looking for a bush experience like no other, where you are guaranteed outstanding service from arrival to departure, food that will delight your taste buds, restful nights sleep and game viewing sightings beyond your wildest imagination - look no further. Amakhosi not only met my expectations, but exceeded them. I would highly recommend it to anyone who was looking for some much needed time away. I look forward to returning one day, someday soon.

Room Tip: Beware of the notice advising of Bushbabies and don't leave out any tasty treats!
  • Stayed February 2017, travelled on business
Amakhositeam, Director of Sales at Amakhosi Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 2 March 2017
Thank yo so much for your kind words and for taking the time to post this lovely review, we really appreciate it and so do the entire team, it is what motivates us even more to give of our best, as we want our guests to leave as friends and with memorable experiences. Hope to see you soon again Fond regards the Amakhosi Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 February 2017

We had the most beautiful stay at Amakhosi. On arrival, we felt welcome immediately and for the entire stay the staff were friendly and accommodating. Nothing was too much for them. Our ranger S'bu was so professional and so kind. We felt completely safe with him on our game drives and were in awe of his knowledge of the bush and the surroundings. Our tracker, Zakhele was also brilliant. The lodge offers 5 star accommodations, with views of the river- the most tranquil spot to watch wildlife. And what can I say about the food- wow! Lindo was also fantastic. Thank you Amakhosi!

Room Tip: All rover view suites face the river
  • Stayed February 2017, travelled with friends
Wow what a stunning review, thank you for taking the time to post it, we are really happy that you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed every aspect of our property, we hope that this has left you wanting more and that we see you soon again. Fond Regards the Amakhosi team
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Tucked away just outside of Pongola is the authentically African Amakhosi Safari Lodge. Cold towels and a fresh juice upon arrival were happily welcomed as the sun and heat favour Amakhosi. The entrance into the lodge brings with it an earthy feel. As one walks out onto the deck, the view of the Mkuze River is a sight to behold, and eating out on the deck at night, with such a spectacular view is a treat.

The room I stayed in was the River Suite. The hammock was one of my favourite touches. Reading a book and listening to the flowing Mkuze river is relaxing and unwinds a busy mind. The bed has a net on it which keeps out the mosquitoes. Comfort is an understatement… The bed is so comfortable with snug fluffy pillows that promise a great night’s sleep. There is a lounge area with a well-stocked mini-bar and tea and coffee making facilities. The shower is very spacious and there is also an outdoor shower for the more adventurous. The rooms are so well decorated with African art and are well lit with the high glass doors and windows, allowing panoramic views.

There is no comparable feeling quite as exhilarating as watching a cheetah racing, and then hearing their adorable call. It’s quite difficult to watch them without affection after hearing that precious and delicate call. Then to the other extreme, a male lion roaring for his pride to join him, while parked a safe distance away, vibrating the entire valley with the resounding echo.

I was lucky enough to witness a baby elephant trying to use his trunk… cute doesn’t even begin to describe it! While I would dare to call a baby elephant cute, a full grown one on the other hand is nothing short of magnificent. The strength in their trunks embodies the strength of the beautiful giants.

The ultimate show in luxury was stopping at the top of one of the many hills, and viewing the landscape from above whilst sipping a crisp South African wine and snacking on biltong, crisps and nuts. It’s a lovely break during the game drive and also a chance to take in the splendour of the game farm. The game ranger and tracker were knowledgeable, well-trained and experts in their field, providing a great feeling of safety.

What would a 5* game reserve be like without mouth-watering decadence? I am personally a lover of cheese, and there was what seemed like a never ending supply of exotic cheeses, as well as succulent fruit, delicious pastries and cakes. For the fish lovers, salmon is a lovely touch with the morning breakfast, something I enjoyed. The four course dinner left my belly full and my appetite pleased. Not only was the food excellent, but so was the service. The service is anticipatory. By the end of the first night, the barman knew what I wanted to drink, as well as that I had a taste for biltong and provided me with a little biltong snack.

I splurged a little and decided to be pampered with a heavenly massage. To feel the stresses of everyday life slowly melt away while having my shoulders and neck massaged, brought along with it my surrender to bliss and relaxation.

The absolute highlight of my stay at Amakhosi, as if seeing so much wildlife and having an abundance of cheese wasn’t enough, was getting engaged. The location is so incredibly beautiful that it is the perfect place for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: I loved the River Suites. They are the entry level rooms, but they feel like 5 star luxury.
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nicolepoupard
Amakhositeam, Guest Relations Manager at Amakhosi Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 24 February 2017
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to post this detailed review on your stay, from what we read you have many, many memorable moments and this is what makes our work worthwhile, knowing that our guests enjoyed every aspect of their stay and we hope this leaves you wanting more and next time you need an escape from the city, you come back and visit us. A copy of your review has been sent to our owner and is also up on the notice board of our meeting room, so all can appreciate that their hard work has been noticed. Sending you fondest regards The Amakhosi Team.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Everything was perfect, from the accommodation to the food and game tours. The staff were efficient and friendly and the entire experience was superb. Our ranger Declan, and spotter Jeremy were both absolutely wonderful and Declan's all-round knowledge of the flora and fauna was shared with both intelligence and humour and was the 'cherry on the top' of our Amakhosi trip!
Just one handy hint for the unwary - shut all drawers and suitcases and lock up the tea/coffee/sugar tray when you leave your rooms as the bush babies are regular visitors and their eating and toilet habits leave much to be desired !

• Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
Amakhositeam, Director of Sales at Amakhosi Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 18 January 2017
What a lovely review, we are so happy that you have left Amakhosi with great memories and and all round good experience. Thank you for your comments our our tracking team and food and a copy of this review has been sent to management, so thank you again. I did have a giggle at your tip on our mischievous bush babies, but as much as they are just so naughty, I appreciate them even more now, knowing that they are free to roam and cause mischief, having just returned from a trip to Thailand where these poor creatures are taken away from their mother at birth or the mothers even killed and then are used as tourist attractions, it is so cruel and infuriating and wished we could have saved them all. So next time I lose my dessert to a bush baby, I will just recall my recent experience. We hope that next you are in our area that you visit us again, fond regards the Amakhosi Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Oh Wow, this place is just incredible in every way.
Let me start off by saying the Managers are incredible they are there and spoil you non stop. The Chef, is probably the best kept secret, the food is phenominal, modern without being OTT. The fresh Strawberries at breakfast were the best and sweetest and freshest I have ever eaten, the fruit was better than any fruit I have ever eaten, even better than fruit on a recent trip to Sweden! And this is the middle of Africa.
Game viewing unbelievable, Lion with Cubs, Jackal with cubs, leopard , cheetah, elephant encounter better than any where else I have stayed, buffalo herd, just spectacular. Accommadation is up there with the best! JUST GO!

Room Tip: Book the villa for a treat!
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled with family
Wow, what a wonderful way to return to work today with all these great reviews, THANK you for taking the time to post this AMAZING review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Thank you for your comments on our management and staff ( I do personally think the best team around ) , a copy of this review has been forwarded to our owners. We agree Chef is "our" best kept secret! we love her to bits and she never ceases to amaze us with her culinary delights. We are so pleased that you managed to see the Ama babies (cubs) at the moment the reserve is full of young life and it is just too precious. Hope that you come back and visit us soon. Fond regards from the entire Amakhosi Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pongola
36.3 km away
37.9 km away
Mavela Game Lodge
Mavela Game Lodge
#1 of 7 in Mkuze

Been to Amakhosi Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!