Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews forest lodge game drives unique experience wildlife experience four days amazing animals white rhino glass boma monkeys cheetah guide accommodation safari tracker phinda ranger
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 June 2023

We had a wonderful four days at Forest Lodge in Phinda. The staff, food and guiding were excellent slightly let down by some areas of the property itself but we understand it closed at the end of May for major refurbishment so hopefully all will be put right.

The lodge is located in the sand forest, a truly remarkable area and we strongly recommend a guided walk where you can admire the little things which you miss when driving through on a jeep. Spot the pin orchids which are truly beautiful. Josie and Mr T were our guide and tracker and worked so well together, managing to get us close to the action with lions on a kill, lions playing and chasing other jeeps, white rhino, cheetah, leopard on a kill............the list is endless but it made for a remarkable stay at Forest Lodge.

All the staff from guides to housekeeping and everyone in between were friendly and dedicated and made our stay truly special. A cappuccino coffee, chocomokkarula or just a mokkarula was a mind-blowing option in the middle of the bush!
The tasty treats that accompanied the sundowners or morning bush stop were amazing and the food in camp was extra special, so fresh, so tasty.

We look forward to returning when the camp reopens.

Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank JTZ
Reviewed 12 January 2023 via mobile

Stayed in a luxe all glass bungalow for two. There are only 15 I believe on this property separated by woods for privacy. Accommodations included a luxurious soaking tub, indoor/outdoor shower sitting area indoor and outdoor veranda with complementary bar. Food was outstanding with different venues every night. Game drives wonderful and guides outstanding. Staff went above and beyond (no pun intended). Even the small on-site shop was stocked with great locally handcrafted goods and staffed by a friendly knowledgeable clerk. Infinity pool in the woods with views.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2022

Spectacular, one-of-a-kind experience. Luxurious private cottages set in the woods, where we woke up with animals (nyala, others) grazing on our doorstep. Great food, wine, and service at the dining room including a unique experience at the boma (with game like eland and kudu). But the highlights are the game drives with personable and highly capable guides/ local trackers: we saw elephant, cheetah, leopard, lion, zebra, rhino, wildebeest, buffalo, baboon, monkey, nyala, impala, several bird raptors...lots more. Highlight of our three weeks in South Africa!

Room tip: We did two days with morning and evening game drives each day; three days would give you time to enjoy the accommodation and relax a little
Date of stay: December 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2022

As a Canadian from Canada, I've never been on a safari or visited South Africa. We came to see some friends and as part of our trip, we booked 2 days at &Beyond Phinda Forest Lodge. I had no idea what to expect, but whatever it was, my expectations were exceeded
First - on the way there, we drove from Durban and followed a long dirt road into what seemed to be an uninhabited forest. A jaguar danced across a clearing beside us, and we hadn't even pulled up to the lodge yet. We were met by welcoming staff who gave us cool drinks and wet towels. Our bags were taken to our lodgings and we were lead to a beautiful dining patio overlooking the grassland, where nyala and kudu were grazing in the distance. This was all in the first 20 minutes!

From there, after a spectacular meal we met our guide, Clive. I can't say enough about how attentive, accommodating, knowledgeable and personable he was. He was teamed up with our tracker, Musey, who later blew all of our minds with his astonishing ability to track even to most obscure and hard-to-find creatures including a chameleon perched on a branch in the pitch black of night.

The safari vehicles are comfortable and clean, and allow you to view animals from any angle. We saw all the "big 5" plus many, many more. One of our friends is a birder, and lucky for him Clive was able to locate and identify a plethora of birds, adding to our friend's bird-count with 16 new-to-him species.

The highlight for me was watching 2 litters of lion cubs playing in the grass. I could watch them for hours and hours; they're so adorable.

We stopped for snacks on the drive, and they laid out a folding table with a full array of drinks and snacks, right out there on the veldt! On the first night, we and other lodge guests were treated to dinner under the stars at a surprise location. It was so beautiful and the food was outstanding. I'm a vegetarian who avoids simple carbs, and they even had a vast selection for a picky high-maintenance eater like me. The carnivores in the group were also satisfied.

The sleeping accommodations are beyond luxurious. Comfortable bed, immaculate and clean, snacks and drinks in your room. I was so impressed.

All I can say to conclude this is, I can't stop talking about it and ever since I've come home I've been trying to convince all my friends and family to visit Phinda Forest Lodge. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Date of stay: September 2022
Reviewed 24 September 2022 via mobile

As part of my 60th birthday celebration, my family visited this lodge following a few days at the reserve's Mountain Lodge.

We were sorry that we did not allocate more time to this unique game lodge. The well appointed individual units are made of glass, enabling one to experience the beauty and tranquility of the dune forest in which the lodge is located, from within one's own luxurious room.

Service was excellent throughout, and meals were delicious and plentiful.

The game and wildlife experiences were exciting and interesting, and included a short bush walk to study the unique trees and vegetation of the area.

The forest is heaven for birders, and our very experienced and passionate guide helped point out 5 beautiful lifers for me.

All in all, our stay was incredible and we will be back to spend more time in this unique lication.

Date of stay: June 2022