All reviews watering hole family suite water hole game drives wild dogs outdoor shower the reserve cold morning drives other guests ranger jacques his enthusiasm every meal watching animals herd of elephants white rhino entire family birthday cake
Reviewed 4 November 2017

Our group of 5 adults spent 3 nights here. it was unforgettable. Gavin our ranger was knowledgeable and informative, an excellent tracker and spotter and amazing at driving the vehicle into seemingly impossible places! Our sightings and photos were incredible, in adition the lodge is beautiful (we had Little Tuningi and one other room). The outdoor showers overlooking the park are exhilarating, the boma is a great place to spot, and the soon to be completed water hole level viewing area will be a fantastic addition. Many thanks to all the team.

1  Thank anneK5767PJ
Reviewed 3 November 2017

I booked the whole lodge to celebrate my birthday over 3 nights / 4 days with a group of family and friends. For some it was their first introduction to the beauty of South African wildlife and oh boy did it deliver. We saw the big 5 and the elusive pack of wild dogs. The food was delicious, the wine exquisite, the weather perfect. I would highly recommend Tuningi Lodge under the management of Heidi and Gavin. The chalets are beautifully decorated and provides absolute privacy. I did enjoy the outdoor showers, especially with an elephant drinking water 20 meters away! Worth every $.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I am sitting here waiting to catch the bush plane back to Jo’burg and then back to London and never before have I been so sad to leave a holiday. Once the mortgage is paid and the family are fed pretty much our next priority is travel and we have been to some awe inspiring places over the years stopping in some of the finest hotels but none of those places has left such an indelible mark on us all as The Tuningi Safari Lodge in The Madikwe game reserve in South Africa.

Everything about this place is magical, the location, the rooms, the pools and the piece de resistance the boma overlooking the very active water hole. I could not possibly list all of the things we have seen but we have been charged by a black rhino, chased by a bull elephant on heat, seen wild dogs hunting and our stand out tracking ( at really really close quarters - about 2 yards away at some stages) a magnificent male lion.

The staff at the lodge are just wonderful, led by Heidi they are friendly, efficient and anticipate your every need and despite the lodge being full at the time of our visit they knew everybody’s name which is a really nice touch. Special shout out for Petrus, Rea and Audrey but they were all fantastic .

The food was delicious and prepared using the freshest local ingredients and we were served 3 square meals a day to satisfy the most discerning palate .

All of this , fantastic as it most definitely was, was the icing on the cake that was the twice daily game drives. We were hosted and entertained by Gavin, Heidi’s husband. His knowledge of the animals, plants and insects we encountered was just encyclopaedic and he made what was already really interesting totally immersive and unforgettable - literally it was a profound experience and all of my family were overwhelmed.

I must just mention that Gavin can take a land cruiser over terrain features that you would say are impossible, even a mountain goat would think twice about and this just added to the fun and excitement of the drives. I cannot explain how satisfying it is to sip a g&t sundowner whilst munching on biltong and overlooking the African bush half way through the game drive.

I could go on for paragraphs I really could but suffice it to say that this is a truly magical place and as I said in the title we are genuinely heartbroken to leave

but we will definitely be back !

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Adrian B
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We have always wanted to go on Safari, and it was well worth the wait. Our 20th wedding anniversary provided the perfect opportunity to make this happen with our three teenage Children. A friend's recommendation to explore Madikwe helped us uncover Tuningi. This could not have been a better choice.

Three wonderful days on Safari far exceeded our expectations. The knowledge, skills and experience of our ranger allowed us to fully appreciate this amazing place and its inhabitants. The lodge itself was blissful being so well looked after by all the staff. The location was fantastic and the food exceptional.

I hope we do not have to wait twenty years to do this all again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank V9258WWpeters
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We stayed at Tuningi for 2 nights at the end of September. It was an amazing experience, extremely special indeed. This was our first trip to South Africa and staying here was an amazing introduction to this wonderful country. The rooms were fantastic, we stayed in the family suite and it was huge, luxurious and very comfortable.
The welcome every time we came to the door of the main building was lovely and the staff were fantastic. Really genuinely nice people. Chantelle was great she even took time to help me work out an IT issue with my laptop. Jacques was our guide and he was extremely knowledgeable and interesting with a good sense of humour too. We had some amazing experiences on our 4 drives with him. The food was excellent! It was really top quality, 5 star fare and eating outside in an amazing environment to boot! I would love to go back to Tuningi again sometime in the future. The new Hide at the waterhole will be something very special. Thank you for making our holiday so special Tuningi!

Room tip: The family room is next to the main lodge, so it was perfect!
Date of stay: September 2017