All reviews wine cellar african art safari lodge amazing collection well stocked library south africa wild dogs private plunge pool per vehicle internet access game drives white rhino the reserve total privacy an amazing experience game viewing experience dream come true
Reviewed 27 December 2017

the lodge itself was magical ,comfortable rooms amazing service from the staff and the rangers ,my team was made to feel incredibly welcome .the game drives were captured with knowledgeable rangers and and my views included white rhino,african wild dogs ,giraffe,kudu,sprigbok ,the list goes on ....the highlight off my journey seeing a leopard saunter of down a dusty road as the sun went down on a glorious sky .memories i wont forget thankyou

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank BellaF154
Philip H, Manager at Mateya Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience of Mateya with everyone Bella.

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and that the memories shared will be long remembered. The team will be delighted to hear this feedback.

We hope to welcome you back to Mateya again soon.

Warmest regards from all of us.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

Everything at Mateya is designed to provide an amazing experience. The large and unique rooms with their amazing collection of African art, private pool and breathtaking view of the roaming wildlife. The food was amazing and well complemented the starry African night. Of course the safari drives were astounding and the guide a real expert. But best of all was the staff, always there for us, attending to anything we required in the most friendly and professional manner one can imagine.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank motimarga

Thank you for your kind review and your visit Moti! We are so happy that you had such an amazing stay at Mateya. It's always so rewarding for us when our guests take the time to let us know how enjoyable their experience was.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Warmest regards from all of us at Mateya Safari Lodge.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were lucky enough to visit Mateya safari lodge a month ago. We had four amazing days stay in heaven on earth. We have travelled extensively throughout Africa, and had the most knowledgeable game Rangers at Mateya. The accommodation was sheer luxury and the staff were attentive and friendly. We will definitely be going back to this special place.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank tsahyc

Thank you for your very kind feedback Tsahy.

It was an absolute pleasure hosting you at the lodge and we hope to see you again soon!

Warmest regards from all of us at Mateya Safari Lodge

Reviewed 23 December 2017

The actual game reserve is fantastic with many animals to see but avoid this hotel at all costs! The service is horrendous. Werner [--] lied several times and was rude, argumentative and offensive. I just left there two days ago and it was the WORST hotel experience I have ever had and I am an avid world traveler. The owner and fiancée of the owner (Werner)was totally unaccomidating and lied to me and others in my group several times to get out of being accommodating. On TripAdvisor it states that there is room service. They were unwilling to bring the full meal to the room and any food that I was able to get was only delivered after a ton of grief. Several meals I was forced to skip because they refused to bring the meal to me and I am handicapped. I couldn’t go to the dining room. I is crazy for this level of hotel to treat me with the cruelty they did for having a handicap by forcing me to skip several meals because the room was so far from the dining room and I was physically unable to walk to the dining room, they refused to bring it to me. I told them that I have Multiple Sclerosis and they actually put me in the FARTHEST room from the lodge! They were notified of my disability in advance and disregarded the information. I was told by Werner [--](fiancée to the owner and one of the guides) that Multiple Sclerosis does not count as a handicap, that he would lose his job if he sent food down to me (he is engaged to the owner so his job is not in jeopardy), he had a plethora of excuses...didn’t want the sorbet to melt or soup to get cold (I told him several times I just wanted the meal and didn’t care what the temperature was), they knew I am a vegetarian but when I finally convinced them to send an appetizer they sent raw meat and when I called to tell them it was raw meat Werner denied vehemently and laughed at me that they wouldn’t serve raw meat even though the other people’s menu in my party (we bought the place out for several days) said steambok carpaccio which is indeed raw meat. The first day they told me there was transportation to get me closer to the room and when I asked for it they said there was no such transportation. Laundry service was never made available to me. I asked for high tea and they said I couldn’t have it. It states that WiFi is available however it is only available in one small room at the front of the property and no where else. When I tried to talk to them about the schedule for the day I was completely dismissed. They only consulted with the one person they thought was paying for the trip and dismissed the request of the person actually paying for the trip! Disgusting service and treatment! Worst hotel stay of my life!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank 101travel1012017
Philip H, General Manager at Mateya Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2018

Firstly I would like to say how sorry we are that this guest had a bad experience at Mateya Safari lodge. We've always taken pride on fact that we have a 94% "excellent" Trip Advisor rating.

- I just need to clarify that Werner is a employee at Mateya Safari lodge , and NOT the owner's fiancee.

- I need to also point out that prior to the family checking into Mateya Safari lodge, our reservations team sent numerous emails back and forth to the family's travel agent to figure our the best way to accommodate the guest and the elderly grandparents that was traveling with the family. The family then advised the travel agent after explaining the room layout at Mateya Safari lodge that we should put the grandparents in our closest room and this guest in room 5 that has the least steep incline on the steps. After the check in the guest was upset with the distance she needed to walk to her suite. We told the guest that unfortunately they booked all 5 suites in the lodge, so we don't have a open suite to move her to, but we are more then happy to swap her with her family members for another suite. The guest herself spoke to the rest of her family who didn't see it necessary to swap with her. As we could not force the guests family to swap with her, we offered to drive the guest around camp after meals and walk her through a delivery gate that would be a shorter walk. The guest refused and wanted to be moved. Since the family took all 5 suites at Mateya our hand was unfortunately tied.

- We did tell the guest that we can not do a 5 course meal in the room at night as we can not maintain the quality of food that guests at Mateya are accustomed to. After this guest got very upset, Werner decided to make an exception in order to avoid a further argument and sent the food to the room. The waiter was then sent back with every course (5 times) to swap it with something else even though it was what this guest ordered. When Werner phoned the guest to check on her, he was told that the food we sent her was "terrible and not edable" and to send all the other meals options on the menu down at one time and she will pick from it what she wanted to eat.
- As all of Mateya Safari lodge's guests can confirm, laundry is offered to all guests and is complimentary. This guests was no exception. Even the guests other family members made use of the laundry service on a daily basis.
- High tea was never refused to the guest, however the guest wanted to schedule high tea 30 minutes later than the other 9 family members decided to go on game drive, but she also wanted to go on game drive with them. There was then a conflict within the family but they decided they are not coming back 30 minutes into the game drive to come pick the guest up so she went out with them. Please note that when we spoke to the family as a group in the morning at breakfast they decided as a group not to do "high tea", but to do lunch instead an hour before game drive.
- Mateya safari lodge proud ourselves for being very flexible because we are a small intimate lodge. So as usual the schedule for the day was discussed with the family every single day and we were told by the family what times they wanted to do each activity.

Again we are very sorry to hear that the guest didn't enjoy her stay and that we were unable to accommodate some of her needs. We hope that the guest and her family enjoyed the rest of their vacation in South Africa.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

During August 2017, I spent four never to be forgotten days at the Mateya Safari Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve, located in north central South Africa on the Botswana border. Game viewing was excellent and among the animals I saw were giraffe, kudu, springbok, cape buffalo, white rhinoceroses, warthogs, zebras, lions, impalas, African wild dogs and many elephants. On the last game drive, I finally saw a female leopard relaxing atop a tree. I also saw the rarely sighted AARDWOLF! Since there were only a few guests(maximum is ten!), I had my own specially designed Toyota Land Cruiser with a private guide, Dylan and a tracker, Thomas who were excellent in tracking lions! The morning and late afternoons were quite cold as a rare cold front was passing by! I did end up using the heated blankets provided on several occasions! There are only five suites, each with there own indoor and private outdoor showers, separate bathroom with two vanities, tub and separate toilet and bidet. There is also a large deck, complete with outdoor furniture - table, chairs and lounge with view past the private plunge pool to distant game! The spacious room, with a four poster bed, lounge chairs, writing table, a very well stocked mini bar is beautifully furnished with African artwork and figures. There is really nothing more that a guest could ask for! After the morning game drive, a buffet breakfast, with freshly squeezed orange juice is served on the outdoor viewing deck. Eggs, any style and other hot items can be ordered. Except for the last day, I never had lunch! Dinner was served in the dining room with a choice of a meat or fish main course. There was a different hand crafted menu for each dinner, a wonderful souvenir! Dinner can also be taken in the lower well-stocked wine cellar! There is a large separate well stocked library. All areas are furnished with African figurines, artwork, paintings, sculptures and collectibles. The brochure on the lodge gives a very true picture and what I have attempted to describe! From the viewing veranda, animals can often be seen at the nearby watering hole. There is a large flat screen TV, a computer with internet access and a spa among the other facilities. For me it was a walk to the dining facilities from my and I used a wheel chair that was available. Wash is included and done daily. A stay at the Mateya Safari Lodge is truly a once in a lifetime experience! The lodge is serviced by twice daily charter flights from Johannesburg's airport.

Room tip: Suite No.1 is closest to the dining facilities and the safari vehicles
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Ron A

Dear Dr. Ron,

Thank you for your wonderful and very descriptive review of Mateya Safari Lodge. We are very glad you noticed the level of service we strive to give our guests and that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us in the Madikwe Game Reserve. It was an absolute pleasure hosting you at the lodge and I will be sharing your lovely write up with the staff too.

We greatly appreciate your kind words and we all would love the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Warmest regards from all of us at Mateya Safari Lodge.