Long Lee Manor
Shamwari Game Reserve Lodges(Shamwari Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslong leesafari experienceseparate loungegame reservegame drivesthe main housefirst classwow factorunderfloor heatingcold buffetsmall gymmajor refurbishmentborn freewealth of knowledgethe early morning game drivewarm hand towelsherd of elephants
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I wanted to go to Shamwari for many years but with all the things happening I kept putting it off. A high end travel company used to offer tours that included Shamwari but quit going there. I contacted them and asked why. I was told that it was run down, the food wasn't very good and the sightings were less frequent. I went any way and agreed with the first 2 and can't compare sightings. I saw 4 of the big 5 as well as others. Of 4 trips our, 2 of them we drove for a couple of hours only seeing a few animals. I did think I had a great guide, Alex, which gave it a second star. It was very expensive and 2 nights were plenty. I did not like my room or its location.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Shamwari Game Reserve is a very special place. It is incredible to believe that only 25 years ago this was over farmed scrubland, now it is a conservation paradise.
It is wonderful to see it the way it was meant to be - a home for native wild animals to roam freely - the bush returning & wilderness areas preserved.
There was nothing to fault our stay at Long Lee Manor. The staff are all well trained, courteous & organised, so the minute you arrive you can relax. The main buildings have an older elegance & are spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished & pleasantly cool thanks to the modern air conditioning. Then our room, well that was superb too!
Modern but spacious & efficient bathroom, air conditioning, TV etc.
There is so much space in the main room, helped by the high ceilings, a very comfy bed & as with the main area it was immaculate. A lovely outside area too.
The food is excellent, as much or as little as you want, whenever you want,even sweety jars so you can nibble during the game drive.
Finally the biggest thanks must go to our superb guide Steff McWilliam - you & all the rangers we met are truly awe inspiring! We did 5 drives with Steff & have learnt so much, her knowledge is incredible but she always wanted to learn or see more.
We saw so many amazing sightings - all the big five in different settings, plus so much more. I even braved the bush walk.
So if you are considering a safari in the eastern Cape & possibly the whole of South Africa, look no further than Shamwari Game Reserve ! I would also thoroughly recommend Long Lee Manor.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed 3 February 2018

Our third visit to Shamwari Game Reserve and we couldn’t think of going anywhere else other than Long Lee Manor. From the minute you step out of your car you are instantly made to feel so welcome, it’s a great team effort and every greeting with a smile. We stayed for 4 nights and could easily have doubled that and every day would bring a different experience. We had 8 game drives with James whose knowledge showed such respect for all the animals and his enthusiasm was infectious. We also had great company on all of our days which made the experience even more special. We have such great memories and amazing photos. Thank you Shamwari

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whirlyone
Reviewed 24 January 2018

It really is difficult to know where to begin. The staff are wonderful, the accommodation (we were in room 2 in the Manor House) was terrific, the food and presentation very good and the wildlife outstanding! Our ranger (Jess) was knowledgable and passionate about the animals, respecting them and their well-being at all times. There are two reasonably sized pools, with views to die for. There is also a small gym and beauty spa, both of which we utilised. We stayed three nights but could easily have stayed two more. We want to return but there is going to be a huge upgrade, which will up the prices. Don’t forget to visit the Born Free Foundation too. A special thank you to KG and his team. We miss those smiles!

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed at Long Lee Manor while visiting the Shamwari Game reserve. We had room 2 in the main building which was a massive bed room. The problem with the hotel is that it is in need of major refurbishment in the main building. Because some of the rooms are outside of the main building in more modern blocks I can’t tell you if they also need refurbishing, but the hotel is due to close in 2018 for 13 months for a complete rebuild and refit. I think it’s probably overdue.
Having said all that the bed was comfortable, the bathroom worked as did the air conditioning. The grounds immediately outside the hotel contain 2 swimming pools, one heated and one not so. There are plenty of sun beds and lots of sitting out areas. The hotel overlooks a local watering hole so you get all types of animals visiting.
The staff actually make the place as they are simply brilliant. Nothing is to much trouble and you are met with a friendly smile wherever you go.
You don’t visit Shamwari for the hotel you visit for the safari and therefore for that purpose it meets the needs. Service at mealtimes can be a bit slow and disorganised, especially on Christmas Day when there was a limited menu, but with very little to do between your morning and evening game drive I don’t suppose it matters that much

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
SGR_socialmedia, Guest Relations Manager at Long Lee Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We value all guest feedback as it helps us to better ourselves.

I am saddened to hear that your stay with us did not meet all your expectations. As you have mentioned, we will be closing Long Lee Manor for an extensive refurbishment where the look will be transformed from antique to modern. We are elated about the upcoming changes and do hope to see you return in the future.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your safari experience and that the staff were brilliant.

Best Regards,